[Q] How to start a new ROM for a GEN8 using the old one?

Search This thread

mollarsonne

Nov 13, 2013
Hi,

I'm sure that's a dumb question, but I had to ask it. :eek:
I have a Gen8 tablet, and would like three things:
  1. Backup the whole ROM in order to put it back later on
  2. Use that ROM in order to build another one for the same device
  3. Use that ROM (look&feel, apps and so on) to build another one for another device
I've seen that some firmwares (with root) are available for this tablet, and would like to understand how they were built.
Did the developers start from aosp + archos "modified" kernel, or did they start from the existing ROM (aos files from Archos)? Or even a mix of all that?

I installed the SDE yesterday, and have yet to make a complete backup. :rolleyes:

Thanks.

Mavasilisk

Mar 12, 2012
Its hard to say where to start after asking these questions. You should read a lot before doing it. Roms based on Cyanogenmod like Buzcuit's one are easy to backup. If you base a new rom on the existing one you will get the bugs of the main rom (Bizcuit's for example) and the bugs of the new rom.

mollarsonne

Nov 13, 2013
Thanks for your reply.

I don't know if I'll try a new ROM for such an old device, but do you know how these ROMs were made?
I've seen there how to build a new kernel for the tablet, but not a complete system (I often build android-x86, but never tried aosp).

Mavasilisk

Mar 12, 2012
This is rooted stock firmware. Its made by Archos. You should read a bit more about it. I am not a developer and I have pretty basic knowledge and I havent tried myself. Biz and the others can help you much more then me. But ya, u have to read pretty much to start.