[Q] CPU Temperature exceeding 80°C! How dangerous?

Search This thread

Kidtuf

Jul 29, 2012
Hi guys,

I understand that some heat when running resource intensive applications and games is to be expected but I believe I've passed into the danger zone, so to speak. When playing XCOM my CPU temperature quickly exceeds 80°C. From my googling on the matter I have come to assume that a temperature as high as 80°C is dangerous for the hardware of the device, but I have had trouble finding upper threshold limits for the model itself.

I guess my questions are as follows:

1) How damaging would running the CPU at 80°C for an extended duration (1hr +) be?

2) What would you consider the max acceptable CPU temperature to be?

3) Assuming it is as bad as thought, what are my options to reduce the CPU temperature, short of avoiding the problem applications? Underclocking seems to be a common suggestion, but I get the feeling that XCOM, or similarly taxing applications, may just fail to run or become incredible sluggish under such constraints.

My device is rooted and running Lean Kernel v2.4 along with the w03Slim ROM. Found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2638116

I've done similar test runs in the Temasek kernel with the recommended configurations through Trickster Mod and there is no difference, the CPU still exceeds 80°C when playing XCOM. After a week or so of googling, searching the forums, and digging through device manuals I feel like I'm spinning my wheels.

Any insight or advice you all might have is greatly appreciated.

dramitt_live

Sep 28, 2013
You can try a custom kernel, i would recommend you BioShock kernel, with conservativex, max freq 2.2 ghz and undervolt 25 mV... No more over warming for me, great performance and battery life

Sent from my TWEAKED KITKAT note 3 powered by BioShock kernel

Reactions: d12unk13astard

d12unk13astard

Aug 5, 2010
Bakersucks
You can try a custom kernel, i would recommend you BioShock kernel, with conservativex, max freq 2.2 ghz and undervolt 25 mV... No more over warming for me, great performance and battery life

Agree with this post, conservativex is a great governor to keep your cpu in check and not over throttle itself, also check out my thread I made here awhile back and apply the 8th post down. It really helped keep the temp down on my phone when playing graphically intensive games like dead trigger 2,riptide gp2 etc. Also if you have trickster mod or faux clock(really recommended) you can scale down your max frequency, that should really help keep it cooler and you won't see much of a performance drop (if any) while gaming or heavily using your phone.

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda premium

Reactions: dramitt_live

dramitt_live

Sep 28, 2013
Agree with this post, conservativex is a great governor to keep your cpu in check and not over throttle itself, also check out my thread I made here awhile back and apply the 8th post down. It really helped keep the temp down on my phone when playing graphically intensive games like dead trigger 2,riptide gp2 etc. Also if you have trickster mod or faux clock(really recommended) you can scale down your max frequency, that should really help keep it cooler and you won't see much of a performance drop (if any) while gaming or heavily using your phone.

Does it works with KitKat?

dramitt_live

Sep 28, 2013
Yes I have applied it on kk roms too, phone idles and runs much cooler after applied.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Sounds great.. But i have a question.. Some settings are for ondemand based govs wich are unstable with kk... So would you recommend to try this with interactivex? Or wich one. TIA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.