*** $21 Qi Wireless Charger!!! *** It works with N4 & N7

Search This thread

thesoupthief

Dec 13, 2012
Dublin

Interesting - I've noticed the battery level seems to drop more quickly over the time I've been using wireless charging, but this coincides with a few other changes (shifting from 4.2.2 with custom firmware and kernel to stock 4.3) so I hadn't partic put it down to anything sinister - hadn't gone looking at wakelocks. Unhelpfully I had a play with cm10.2 last night so wiped my battery stats / wakelock history etc but I'll have a look at this over the next bit.

Reactions: californicated

WibblyW

May 24, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Moto X Play
i'd move it around to find a better sweet spot and i'm usually running around 36c. I remember reading that under 48c seems to be okay (nexus 4 will throttle above 48c) and the phone with shut off at 60? I'm not positive and feel free to correct me as i'd like to have correct information myself.

By all accounts heat is bad for lithium polymer batteries and the stress of elevated temperatures WILL reduce the service life of the battery to some extent. But in the real world it's a trade off between convenience and what we can't change about LG's design of the phone. Plenty of advice here and talk of trade-offs:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

and

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_without_wires

I seem recall some press about LG's design/spec of the N4 battery to increase longevity at elevated temperatures, but can't find it now.

At the end of the day, if you still have your phone when the battery capacity falls to unacceptable levels and whenever that is, changing the battery in an N4 would seem to be one of easier pieces of surgery that can be performed on it. So expect to DIY or for it not to be too pricey to get someone else to do it for you...

Last edited:
Reactions: thesoupthief

thesoupthief

Dec 13, 2012
Dublin

Few things:
1. Re: ccab's point above.
Based on one night's experience, I haven't been able to repoduce that "not going into deep sleep after wireless charging" problem, with a good chunk of deep sleep over the past couple of hours, however within those couple of hours there has been about 10 minutes of a kernel wakelock that sounds suspitious - "PowerManagerService.Wakelocks". Also "msm_hsic_host", but I understand that's not specific to wireless charging - can be fixed by reverting to an earlier radio apparently but I'll hold fire before meddling. I'll keep a weather eye on both. (Nexus 4, Stock 4.3 Rom - sideloaded JWR66V - and stock kernel with that, rooted; checked this with Better Battery Stats).

2. Re: Battery temperature while on wireless charging.
Mine wavered between 26 and 40 degrees C (briefly getting to 40, but spending most of the time in the low 30s) last night while charging from 12% to 100%. Once it reached 100% (around 2am) it hovered at 100% til I took it off the charger at 7am, with charge kicking in and switching off every now and then - every 20 mins or so? During this time the temperature was fairly stable between 25 and 31 degrees. The charger was fairly cool to the touch this morning. (Checked these temperatures with Battery Logger).

Forgot to thank WibblyW for that Battery University link the other week - v informative
Back to point 1. - Just checked Wakelocks again - that PowerManagerService.Wakelocks thingy is ongoing and has prevented deep sleep for the past while. Odd that it didn't kick in for the first few hours of the phone being off power. Will add an edit to this post later if it ceases and allows deep sleep again.

EDIT - yeah, so a few hours later I've checked and found that the phone had begun deep sleep subsequently - currently PowerManagerService.WakeLocks have been active for 15.8% of the time since taking the phone off charge this morning. Not a critical problem, but not ideal either if it's not serving a useful purpose

Last edited:
Reactions: californicated

beren

Jun 17, 2008
Android Wear
I am already waiting to get my charger, they shipped on 31 July.
People that ordered same days received it yet? (Europe)

Inviato dal mio Nexus 4 usando Tapatalk 4

thfreedumb

Aug 27, 2012
What is everyones charge rate? My office is in a pretty weak signal area but this seems slow...

I have the galaxy note 2 samsung charger (5v, 2a) and a 6 foot micro usb cable from monoprice (the slim version). My charge rate seems to never go above 400mA. I expected the charger to get at least 650mA. I am using battery monitor widget to get my data. I tend to place the phone on the lower 2/3 of the nexus 4 (i believe the induction coils are there?)

Any idea on how to improve the charge rate? Is it better to use a thicker and shorter micro usb cable (overall higher quality)?

I didn't think that this would be limited to usb speeds (<500mA). I enabled the fast charge with franco kernel and will see if this makes a difference in the long run. not much yet...

stuart_f

Jul 16, 2006
Ordered mine 31 Jul, shipped 2 Aug, arrived 18 Aug (UK). I paid for insurance but not tracking and got a tracking number anyway. Not that it was much use, it just says "In Transit" then the package suddenly turns up weeks later.

The QI charger works perfectly with an HP Touchpad mains adaptor but I also ordered these http://www.ahappydeal.com/product-38281.html despite saying they are 2a chargers, they DO NOT work.

Very happy with the wireless charger though.

What is everyones charge rate? My office is in a pretty weak signal area but this seems slow...

I have the galaxy note 2 samsung charger (5v, 2a) and a 6 foot micro usb cable from monoprice (the slim version). ...

Any idea on how to improve the charge rate? Is it better to use a thicker and shorter micro usb cable (overall higher quality)?

I'd start with a shorter, thicker USB cable. 6 ft is a very long usb cable. If you need your charger a long way from where a power outlet is, get a mains power extension cord, not a longer usb cable, and plug the charger into that closer to where you are.

khodos

Mar 11, 2012
hey guys,

I received the charger yesterday and, after using it for the first time, I have to say that i'm also having problems with the phone being kept awake by the "android OS" service. Any workaround?

Regarding the charger, is way too small and makes uncomfortable using the phone when on the dock. It's even a bit tricky to position the phone so it starts charging, as someone already said in this thread.

picodot

Jan 1, 2013
Mine shipped on Aug. 1st and I received it about 2 weeks later.

I'm using the stock wall charger and cable that came with the phone. (I don't think this is ideal since the wall charger is 1A and the Qi charger prefers a 2A input, but it probably just results in a slower charging rate).

It works great for me. I set the phone down before bed and it's charged by morning. I don't have any problems with finding a good 'spot" for charging.. I usually place it such that the charger is near the bottom.

For $21 shipped, you can't beat it - this is 1/3 of the price of the orb that Google sells directly. I'm considering buying another one to use while at work, but between this and a car charger, I'm pretty well covered.

Feb 14, 2013
I'm having a problem with this thing where it'll charge the phone, but sometime after it's full the charger freezes, the blue light stays on and it no longer delivers power to the phone. The blue light remains on even after I remove the phone and the charger is unresponsive until I cycle the power. Meanwhile the phone battery is draining, leaving it in the same state as when I put it down at night.

vikramkhalsa

Mar 7, 2012
www.amasingh.com
Finally arrived like 4 weeks later! Man what a wait. And it seems to work fine.. Anyone tried putting this in their car? Thinking of sticking it to a phone holder/dock so it will charge when I use GPS and stuff and i don't have to plug it in..

kash1786

Jun 21, 2012
I ordered one of these to the uk took abt 2 weeks

Cant complain so far, charges and looks good. I wouldn't pay what Google are charging for a slippery orb, this one does the job just as good.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

konandram

Mar 6, 2013
This promotion still available? Might get one for myself :)
How is everyone's experience with the Qi?
Worth it?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

beren

Jun 17, 2008
Android Wear
tried to charge last night with stock charger:
from BBS i can see that the battery was charged to 99% (so seems ok) but after that the phone didn't go to deep sleep so after 4 hours dropped to 85%.
after tanking off the phone from charger it started to deep sleep again.... will try to test with a 2A charger and report it.
i am on stock rom with faux kernel...

WibblyW

May 24, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Moto X Play
Wouldn't this be expected? Phone stays awake when actually on a qi charger as maybe the phone's processor is used to manage charging from the phone side of things...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

beren

Jun 17, 2008
Android Wear
i'd expect the phone to stay awake while it's charging, after this the charger should turn off so the phone can go to sleep...no?
i mean, i like the charger stops after reaching the full battery so it doesn't circle between 95-100% like others do, but it should also become "invisible" to mobile so it won't stay awake draining the battery.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just ordered this and hopefully it will work on our GN4:

http://www.ahappydeal.com/product-137289.html

If anyone have any experienced with it, please post your short review here.

TIA

Update:

I had this charger for less than a week now and all I can say it.....WOW and I will order 1 more for a car-mod.
    It does require 5V 2A power inverter and it also charges my new G7 (2013)

Even my N4 has a thick casing, it was no problem with this charger compared to other Qi chargers. Placement is also not pinicky.
    Metrans MTW03 Qi charger arrived... So far 'seems to work'. Using it with a wet application shield on the back of the N4 (no case)

Observations

• It's smaller than I expected, kinda 'dinky'
    • Seems to be well made
    • There's a single blue-only (so far) light that's off normally, flashes during charging, solid after charging completes
    • There's no extra USB port that some have reported
    • There's no beeper - hooray! (I use Llama to get the phone to speak its charging status to me when I want anyway)
    • Seems to work with the standard N4 USB charger - well, it started charging (though currently using a N7 USB charger). My previous Qi charger didn't like the N4's USB charger
    • Does not seem to interfere with my DAB radio (like the previous charger I had did)
    • Doesn't seem especially sensitive to the N4's position, so long as you do remember the N4's reception coil is in the lower 1/3 of the phone
    All good, so far... but only been playing for an hour. Waiting to see if it starts charging on it's own again, but may not be in a position to check for the rest of the day...

UPDATE

Now down to 94% with the phone on the charger and it's not so far started charging again... Lifted and replaced the phone on the charger and it started charging again immediately. If this proves to be how it works, this is good for my usage model - I was never comfortable with how these chargers continuously cycled charging/discharging around 97-100% over and over again. But may well be useless for, say, car applications if the charger ever managed to fully charge the battery once.

Not yet sure what happens if charging stops because of heat. Hopefully it restarts automatically after cooling, not requiring phone to be lifted and replaced. Charging has been relatively cool so far (mid 30's degs reported).

UPDATE 2

Got it in a mode when the N4 was announcing (via Llama) rapid cycling between charging and not (a bit like was reported for Nokia Qi charger). My last Qi charger did this a lot to the point it was irritating. Not sure if this is related to the choice of power supply and/or poor positioning on the charger. Anyway, has only happened the once. Removing and replacing the phone restored normal operation. Overall impressed so far. Have even ordered another.
    What country does it ship from?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

They ships from China
    It's not 21. More like $25...
    One question I have is whether it is ok to let it charge on the Qi and use the N4/N7 at the same time. Particularly, I wonder if streaming
    radio and charging at the same time would not harm the battery ?

Really pretty much anything you do with a battery harms it a bit.
    They're perishables / consumables (making it a shame that they're nonreplaceable in this device - kinda makes the whole device a bit perishable, unless replacements become readily available).
    Given that mostly people don't turn their phones off to charge them, there's a bit of power being used the whole time to keep the phone operational while charging. While drawing more power by streaming is likely to make somewhat greater demands, I'd have thought the difference would be negligible. If you'e doing it all the time then cumulatively it will probably make some kind of measurable difference, but I don't see why it would be much different than listening to the same amount of wireless radio with the phone off charge (then charging up after), though I'm no expert.

Unfortunately we kind of have to get over the above fact that these phones' batteries are going to crap out one day no matter how we use them.