[Q] upgrade to cyanogen 10.2

Search This thread

duratto

Mar 18, 2012
Hello guys,

I have a samsung gt-i9000 with cyanogen 10.1.3 and a few days ago I had experienced some problems, the home button stopped working. I tried quite a few things, based on the info I found on this site and others (like factory reset), but no joy.

SO I thought to myself, better reflash the ROM, but to be honest, if I do that, I might as well install the latest one (10.2.1), and so I decided to do that, but before I start I have a few questions:

I had a look around but I couldn't really find a definite answer to the following questions, so I thought I might post here.

1)Has anybody encountered any issue on the gt-i9000 with the latest ROM?

2)Can I backup all my apps, upgrade the ROM and then reinstall everything from the backup, rather than downloadeing all the apps again? I have never done that before, so I am not sure if it is possible

3)I had a look at the cyanogen mode site and found the relevant info http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_galaxysmtd, but I was wondering something: occasionally on my phone a message appears

and asks me whether I want to update the ROM to the latest available one. I have always dismissed that, but I am thinking, can I do the upgrade from there without going through the trouble of reflashing

it (following the instructions above), or is it essentially the same thing?

4)In the instructions it says "The install guide assumes the Galaxy S is running Android 2.3.". Now, last time I have upgraded - from cyanogen 7 to 10.1 - I attempted to install directly 10 over 7 and things

went horrible wrong. I then reflashed the ROM to 2.3 and then installed cyanogen 10.1 and it was OK. DO I have to do the same thing again and install 2.3. first and then 10.2? If so where do I get 2.3 from?
Thanks

duratto

Mar 18, 2012
Sorry, can somebody move this under questions, just realized that this isn't the right place.
Hello guys,

I have a samsung gt-i9000 with cyanogen 10.1.3 and a few days ago I had experienced some problems, the home button stopped working. I tried quite a few things, based on the info I found on this site and others (like factory reset), but no joy.

SO I thought to myself, better reflash the ROM, but to be honest, if I do that, I might as well install the latest one (10.2.1), and so I decided to do that, but before I start I have a few questions:

I had a look around but I couldn't really find a definite answer to the following questions, so I thought I might post here.

2)Can I backup all my apps, upgrade the ROM and then reinstall everything from the backup, rather than downloadeing all the apps again? I have never done that before, so I am not sure if it is possible

3)I had a look at the cyanogen mode site and found the relevant info http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_galaxysmtd, but I was wondering something: occasionally on my phone a message appears

and asks me whether I want to update the ROM to the latest available one. I have always dismissed that, but I am thinking, can I do the upgrade from there without going through the trouble of reflashing

4)In the instructions it says "The install guide assumes the Galaxy S is running Android 2.3.". Now, last time I have upgraded - from cyanogen 7 to 10.1 - I attempted to install directly 10 over 7 and things

went horrible wrong. I then reflashed the ROM to 2.3 and then installed cyanogen 10.1 and it was OK. DO I have to do the same thing again and install 2.3. first and then 10.2? If so where do I get 2.3 from?
Thanks

Last edited:

Gokulbalram

Apr 22, 2013
Pune
Hello guys,

Thanks

1) Didn't use CM, been on OmniROM
2) You can use Titanium Backup
3)Yeah, you could do that, update it via CMUpdater
4)Just before you install a ROM with a higher android Version, always wipe /system partition.