Random reboots when between 25 and 35 percent battery?

Search This thread

asilaydyingdl

Apr 26, 2009
Hello everyone. We own two HTC One XLs, rooted and running CyanogenMod 10.2.1 for evita. About a month and a half ago, my phone randomly rebooted, and when it came back on, the battery had dropped to 25 percent. I can't remember what it was before that, but I'm inclined to say it was 32 or 33 percent. I thought the sudden loss of remaining battery was very strange, but this is the only time that's happened to me. After that it continued to operate and discharge as normal. My wife frequently lets her battery run low before she charges her phone. Well, yesterday afternoon her phone suddenly started rebooting. Sometimes it would get past the boot screen to the desktop, other times it wouldn't. My first thought was our messenger program. During the troubleshooting process, I plugged the phone in. I finally got it to stay on, and I noticed the battery was at 30 percent at the beginning of the charge. Well, today her phone did the SAME thing, but this time I noticed it was down to 25 percent before I plugged it in. I finally got it to power off and stay off, and after only a couple of minutes of charging, I turned the phone on and it has stayed on ever since with no problems, albeit it's still charging. At first I thought it was an app, but given that I've had trouble on both my phones when the battery is around 30 percent, give or take 5 percent, I'm beginning to think it could possibly be a driver-related (or whatever the android equivalent to a driver is) issue with Cyanogenmod 10.2.1 or Jellybean 4.3.1. So, my questions are:

-Are we the ONLY ones having this problem with their HTC One XL devices? A google search reveals random reboots are a common issue with these phones, often software related. I do not believe our problem is related to a specific app, but if their are apps known to cause reboot issues, please reply and let me know what apps these are.
-Is their any fix for this besides trying a fresh install of Cyanogenmod, or a different version of Cyanogenmod?
-Is anyone reading this part of the Cyanogenmod team, and if so, is this an issue being addressed in Cyanogenmod 11?
-Lastly, is their a link that I may submit a report to the Cyanogenmod regarding this issue if nobody here is part of the Cyanogenmod team?

Thanks, I look forward to your answers!

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
Hello everyone. We own two HTC One XLs, rooted and running CyanogenMod 10.2.1 for evita. About a month and a half ago, my phone randomly rebooted, and when it came back on, the battery had dropped to 25 percent. I can't remember what it was before that, but I'm inclined to say it was 32 or 33 percent. I thought the sudden loss of remaining battery was very strange, but this is the only time that's happened to me. After that it continued to operate and discharge as normal. My wife frequently lets her battery run low before she charges her phone. Well, yesterday afternoon her phone suddenly started rebooting. Sometimes it would get past the boot screen to the desktop, other times it wouldn't. My first thought was our messenger program. During the troubleshooting process, I plugged the phone in. I finally got it to stay on, and I noticed the battery was at 30 percent at the beginning of the charge. Well, today her phone did the SAME thing, but this time I noticed it was down to 25 percent before I plugged it in. I finally got it to power off and stay off, and after only a couple of minutes of charging, I turned the phone on and it has stayed on ever since with no problems, albeit it's still charging. At first I thought it was an app, but given that I've had trouble on both my phones when the battery is around 30 percent, give or take 5 percent, I'm beginning to think it could possibly be a driver-related (or whatever the android equivalent to a driver is) issue with Cyanogenmod 10.2.1 or Jellybean 4.3.1. So, my questions are:

-Are we the ONLY ones having this problem with their HTC One XL devices? A google search reveals random reboots are a common issue with these phones, often software related. I do not believe our problem is related to a specific app, but if their are apps known to cause reboot issues, please reply and let me know what apps these are.
-Is their any fix for this besides trying a fresh install of Cyanogenmod, or a different version of Cyanogenmod?
-Is anyone reading this part of the Cyanogenmod team, and if so, is this an issue being addressed in Cyanogenmod 11?
-Lastly, is their a link that I may submit a report to the Cyanogenmod regarding this issue if nobody here is part of the Cyanogenmod team?

Thanks, I look forward to your answers!

The first thing you should try is running an RUU. You'll need s-off so if you haven't got that you'll need to do that first. Run the RUU, leave the phone stock for a few days, see if the problem still occurs or not.

I'd be really surprised if anyone from CM is reading through the q&a section of a legacy device, the correct way to submit a bug is through Jira. But you first need to completely rule out your phone or your firmware as the problem, and completely isolate CM as the definite cause before you even think about submitting a ticket on Jira.

Transmitted via Bacon

asilaydyingdl

Apr 26, 2009
The first thing you should try is running an RUU. You'll need s-off so if you haven't got that you'll need to do that first. Run the RUU, leave the phone stock for a few days, see if the problem still occurs or not.

I'd be really surprised if anyone from CM is reading through the q&a section of a legacy device, the correct way to submit a bug is through Jira. But you first need to completely rule out your phone or your firmware as the problem, and completely isolate CM as the definite cause before you even think about submitting a ticket on Jira.

Transmitted via Bacon

Already updated my RUU to the one recommended in the tutorial in the forums here. Couldn't update to 10.2.1 without updating the RUU. I am trying a few things, like clearing data and reinstalling some apps. Figured it couldnt hurt. I guess its wait and see.

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
Already updated my RUU to the one recommended in the tutorial in the forums here. Couldn't update to 10.2.1 without updating the RUU. I am trying a few things, like clearing data and reinstalling some apps. Figured it couldnt hurt. I guess its wait and see.

Ok. But the point of running the RUU I suggested is to see if the problem still occurs while running a completely stock setup. It's standard practice when troubleshooting.

Transmitted via Bacon

asilaydyingdl

Apr 26, 2009
Ok. But the point of running the RUU I suggested is to see if the problem still occurs while running a completely stock setup. It's standard practice when troubleshooting.

Transmitted via Bacon

Right. I'm opting for simplest possibility first. I am awaiting to see if apps were indeed the cause before I take a more drastic step. So far the phone is performing as normal, was around 80 percent charge still at last check.I don't look for the problem to occur until I drop below 35 percent anyways.

asilaydyingdl

Apr 26, 2009
fixed

Right. I'm opting for simplest possibility first. I am awaiting to see if apps were indeed the cause before I take a more drastic step. So far the phone is performing as normal, was around 80 percent charge still at last check.I don't look for the problem to occur until I drop below 35 percent anyways.

Turns out it was an app. Problem appears to be solved. Apparently Chomp SMS became corrupted at some point.
Did a reinstall and cleared all data from the default Messaging app of good measure and the problem is gone.

gravity02

May 6, 2014
same issues on CyanogenMod 11

i'm having similar problems except that i'm running CyanogenMod 11 and the phone restarts only when I have an incoming call.
does anyone have a solution to this?

asilaydyingdl

Apr 26, 2009
i'm having similar problems except that i'm running CyanogenMod 11 and the phone restarts only when I have an incoming call.
does anyone have a solution to this?

If you are on CM 11, you are using a nightly or snapshot build as no release candidate or final version is available at this time. It's probably a bug in CM 11 and you'll just have to wait until it's fixed. You should stick with CM 10.2.1 final until 11 has a RC available.