[Q] Backup .apk files that are stored on an HTC Desire HD (rooted)

Search This thread

emelnick1

Jan 25, 2008
I have searched this forum and have not found an answer. I would like to know how to backup the .apk files that are stored on the phone memory, not the SD card. I have used ASTRO file manager but cannot locate the .apk files. I have already used Titanium Backup Pro but I have found that the .apk files are backed up a .tar.gz files. What I want to do is backup the .apk files as .apk files for future resoration or transport to another Android device. I have searched the phone and cannot loacte where the downloaded .apk's are being stored. Could someone out there please help point me in the right direction.

Doktaphex

Oct 18, 2010
Earth
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite
I have searched this forum and have not found an answer. I would like to know how to backup the .apk files that are stored on the phone memory, not the SD card. I have used ASTRO file manager but cannot locate the .apk files. I have already used Titanium Backup Pro but I have found that the .apk files are backed up a .tar.gz files. What I want to do is backup the .apk files as .apk files for future resoration or transport to another Android device. I have searched the phone and cannot loacte where the downloaded .apk's are being stored. Could someone out there please help point me in the right direction.

You have a couple of options. You can tell titanium backup not to use compression when backing up, or you can use 'Root Explorer' and navigate to /data/app where you will find all your user installed apps, be aware that the data for the apps, such as save games etc... is stored in /data/data.

Hope that this is of some help to you.

emelnick1

Jan 25, 2008
Tahnsk for your help

Doktaphex,
I tried turning compression off but titanium backup still created .tar files, not .apk files. Secon option of using root explorer worked just great.
Thanks for your help.

ProreX

May 30, 2011
Ivanic-Grad
You can use Titanium backup, which will create compressed file, but you can decompress it on your PC and extract .apk file.

Method I use is with ASTRO. Go to menu-tools-backup programs, choose programs you want to backup and hit 'Backup' button. Then navigate to backup folder and there are your programs. But be aware, they will show market names whic are not always easy to determine which .apk is which program.

cementboy

Apr 22, 2010
A simple option would be to install appInstaller (the one by Gregory House) from the market.

It's a lightweight app which backs up apk files to a folder on your sd card named app saver.

mojo_ojoj

Apr 21, 2012
OnePlus 8T
Noob here,

how can you locate or transfer a apk files? where are they exactly saved? how can you install/run them? what app should i use?

using a Huawei u8860 phone.

Thanks

glevitan

Nov 8, 2011
Buenos Aires
www.arreviewers.com
Noob here,

how can you locate or transfer a apk files? where are they exactly saved? how can you install/run them? what app should i use?

using a Huawei u8860 phone.

Thanks

It all depends of the app...if is a system app or a market one. You have to use a file explorer such as file manager or ES explorer.

If the app you are looking for is a system on you need to be rooted.

ronnie498

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 22, 2010
Try apk extractor in the market its free, its what I use.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using xda premium