[ROOT]Kindle Fire HD 8.9

Search This thread

mdblaze

Mar 25, 2009
Ok, I had no other place to put this post, but figured this was the best for right now. I was unable to achieve root with the HD 7 method, so I went searching. I am happy to report success!

All thanks go to Bin4ry, as I did nothing to contribute to this method, only tried his auto root program.

The files and steps are located here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1886460

Follow the steps for the Sony tablet. This is achieved using the 2nd option.

Video for steps are here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=33470626#post33470626

Again follow all the steps in the video for the tablet, which is the second item rooted.

Last edited:

jmoak

Aug 9, 2008
I also tried the 7 root method and it did not work. Thanks for this, it worked. It was a little tricky and some of the commands didn't appear to be working but in the end I have superuser installed. So far so good...

Maybe someone can shed some light on exactly what this method is doing and verify it is safe.

babblin5

Mar 21, 2011
Mesa, AZ
No go here. Can't get adb to recognize the device, and I don't know where to find the device ID for fixing the ADB_USB file in .android directory

jmoak

Aug 9, 2008
After rooting using this method and installing go launcher and es file explorer. I found a few odd applications that are installed. I'm trying to figure out if these were already on the device or if they were installed by this root method.

WanPeek
AT&T AllAccess

Are these one your device?

Update: looks like the AT&T apk is indeed a Kindle app. I'll assume WanPeek was also already here.

Last edited:

mdblaze

Mar 25, 2009
After rooting using this method and installing go launcher and es file explorer. I found a few odd applications that are installed. I'm trying to figure out if these were already on the device or if they were installed by this root method.

WanPeek
AT&T AllAccess

Are these one your device?

Update: looks like the AT&T apk is indeed a Kindle app. I'll assume WanPeek was also already here.

Yes, they were already on all three I rooted. My guess is they are there to support the AT&T 4G version of the 8.9.

onemeila

Jan 2, 2012
Winchester
Ok, I had no other place to put this post, but figured this was the best for right now. I was unable to achieve root with the HD 7 method, so I went searching. I am happy to report success!

All thanks go to Bin4ry, as I did nothing to contribute to this method, only tried his auto root program.

http://xdaforums.com/show...6#post33470626

Again follow all the steps in the video for the tablet, which is the second item rooted.

I can confirm as well that this method works. As the post said before it appears the process is not working, but sure enough when it finished there was superuser apk and su access. Thanks for being the guinea pig mdblaze, good find!

Confirmed Root + Play Store

http://xdaforums.com/show...6#post33470626

I can confirm this works as well, and also that Kindle Fire HD 7 method for installing Play Store works as well too (did not auto-update with old vending.apk, but works just as fine with actual Google Play APK) Hands-down the 8.9 flies faster than the 7!

somdave2005

Nov 11, 2007
It worked! Thanks OP!

Anything we can do about apps that don't work? ie google maps, tasks apps, google currents, etc?

Are you guys using a different launcher now, like ADW launcher or NovaLauncher?

Ravynmagi

Nov 2, 2010
Not working for me either. Seems like it can't detect my tablet (have ADB mode enabled). Did ya'll have to install some drivers? I Googled some Fire HD 7.0 ADB drivers, but those wouldn't install for me.

If someone can provide a bit more details, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

somdave2005

Nov 11, 2007

Ravynmagi

Nov 2, 2010
These are the directions I used to install ADB drivers on my 8.9. Good Luck

https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/fire/connect-adb.html

If I run "adb devices" from the Android SDK, it shows the Kindle Fire.
However if I run "adb devices" from the batch file link above, it never finds it.

---------- Post added at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 PM ----------

Well I had to install the Android SDK. Then copy the Platform-Tools folder into this script's "\stuff" folder.

Now ADB finds my Kindle Fire HD.

I tried option 1, it seemed to complete fine, but no Super User in apps. So I tried option 2, again no Super User. Which method are people using with success?

jmoak

Aug 9, 2008
If I run "adb devices" from the Android SDK, it shows the Kindle Fire.
However if I run "adb devices" from the batch file link above, it never finds it.

---------- Post added at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 PM ----------

Well I had to install the Android SDK. Then copy the Platform-Tools folder into this script's "\stuff" folder.

Now ADB finds my Kindle Fire HD.

I tried option 1, it seemed to complete fine, but no Super User in apps. So I tried option 2, again no Super User. Which method are people using with success?

Option 2, I followed along with the video. Entering every command even if they didn't appear to work.

---------- Post added at 12:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 AM ----------

It worked! Thanks OP!

Anything we can do about apps that don't work? ie google maps, tasks apps, google currents, etc?

Are you guys using a different launcher now, like ADW launcher or NovaLauncher?

I tried both Go Launcher HD and Apex Launcher. I like Apex better so far.

Reactions: Ravynmagi

Ravynmagi

Nov 2, 2010
Option 2, I followed along with the video. Entering every command even if they didn't appear to work.

---------- Post added at 12:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 AM ----------

I tried both Go Launcher HD and Apex Launcher. I like Apex better so far.

Are you getting permission denied errors with the first two commands?

jmoak

Aug 9, 2008
Are you getting permission denied errors with the first two commands?

I believe so but I do not fully remember. I do know I was getting errors but just kept pushing on. It even mentions you will get errors in the video. I do remember getting errors on the last two commands thinking something was wrong but he also gets the same error in the video.

Start watching the video at about the 7 minute mark. That is when he roots a tablet.

Ravynmagi

Nov 2, 2010
I believe so but I do not fully remember. I do know I was getting errors but just kept pushing on. It even mentions you will get errors in the video. I do remember getting errors on the last two commands thinking something was wrong but he also gets the same error in the video.

Start watching the video at about the 7 minute mark. That is when he roots a tablet.

I decided to just a factory restore and start over.

Unfortunately it's still not working. No Super User, no root access. No idea why this isn't working for me.

---------- Post added at 12:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 AM ----------

Have no clue what I was doing wrong or what went wrong the half a dozen previous tries. But now Super SU is installed and root access is confirmed.

Got Google apps installed, but can't sign in with YouTube though. It crashes when trying to sign in.

Edit: Got the YouTube issue resolved as well. Was missing the GoogleLoginService.apk. It's all finally coming together nicely.

Last edited:

Technogen

Jul 15, 2008
Is this surviving reboot? Also has anyone attempted to do a factory reset to see if it clears it? I've had this thing 3 days I really want Google Play on it so I can access my apps but don't really want to nuke the warranty just yet. :/

onemeila

Jan 2, 2012
Winchester
Is this surviving reboot? Also has anyone attempted to do a factory reset to see if it clears it? I've had this thing 3 days I really want Google Play on it so I can access my apps but don't really want to nuke the warranty just yet. :/

Yes it does work, but no a factory reset will not clear it. If you what to get rid of root you have to move superuser.apk from /system/app folder,to /data/app folder, install it in that location. Then delete the su binary from /system/xbin/. After all that the factory reset will restore to original.

Technogen

Jul 15, 2008
Somethings I ran into that may help other people.

If you do all the steps and still can't see the kindle in ADB run a driver update on the kindle, ADB showed up for me after that.

After the kindle rebooted it was not seeing the device as being back up after a 2 minute wait. I unpluged and reconnected the USB cable and this correct it.

Reactions: kenbonilla

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=33470626#post33470626

Not working for me either. Seems like it can't detect my tablet (have ADB mode enabled). Did ya'll have to install some drivers? I Googled some Fire HD 7.0 ADB drivers, but those wouldn't install for me.

If someone can provide a bit more details, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

These are the directions I used to install ADB drivers on my 8.9. Good Luck

https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/fire/connect-adb.html
    I just spoke with Bin4ry, and he agreed that rewriting his script to work specifically for the KFHDs would be a good idea (get rid of errors, make it work the first time, etc). I'm working on it now and I'll post a new version as soon as it works the way it should. I've already identified the problems with the Unix script and it will be a breeze to fix but it may take me a minute to port it to Windows because I am still very new to the Windows batch scripting. If anyone has experience with batch scripting and would like to help or share some knowledge, that would be pretty awesome (if not, I'll figure it out...shouldn't be that hard).

I have an HD 8.9 so if anyone has had any success rooting the 7" tablets using Bin4ry's method, let me know and I will post accordingly. I think it would be nice to have one root method to work for all 2nd generation devices.
    I have the kindle fire hd 8.9 and I rooted it already and Super SU is already on kindle but I have no idea how to run the google play store etc. I'm super new at this and would absolutely love the help! thank you!!!!
    There's a thread for that:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1893410
    Thanks in advance! =)

Good day: Since you want to load 2nd boot and then get rid of the Kindle OS, you are all set and do not need to locate the 8.48 freedom boot image. Any freedom boot image will work so the 8.4.6 freedom boot image will work just fine.

First, you need to get root and then the rest is cake with the fireflash11.apk and some files from the Hashcode postings.

My post (Posts: 298) above this post a little ways describes using root with Binary to get root.
    Even though you are having trouble, I am pretty sure, this should work on 8.4.8.
    A week ago, I purposefully upgraded one of my 7" to 7.4.8 and then rooted it using the LINUX version of root with Binary.

I took an 8.9 Kindle Fire and upgraded it to 8.4.8
    I used LINUX to root the tablet and then unrooted the tablet.
    I then connected the tablet to Windows and used root with Binary V31 and rooted the tablet.
    The tablet rooted just fine.

When using Root with binary, you do have to remember to:
    1: Click "do not back up" on the tablet screen when you first kick off the binary root script.
    2: Then you select "continue" on the PC command prompt
    3: Then you click "Restore my tablet" on the tablet screen
    4: Then click 'Continue" a second time on the PC command prompt.
    5: Once the "Do not" and "restore" acknowledgements are made on the tablet, the Binary tool will finish its work and finally give you the "Enjoy" note.
    Even if you missed a step or two, the script will finish and give you the "Enjoy" response so if you do not have root after finishing, it means you missed a step.

I am guessing perhaps you did not notice the two tablet on screen acknowledgements needed to complete the root process?

Let us know how you are doing?
    If all else fails, I can push a pre-rooted system image on Dropbox and you can download it and flash it to your tablet and have root.

Regards