Look Here Before Asking Questions [Kitkat Related]

Search This thread

megaghostgamer

Nov 19, 2011
As many of us have took the recent Kitkat OTA we have a variety of questions. Since there have been many threads asking the same question or related to the same question, I will be making this thread to keep this from continuing.

Question: I have took the Kitkat update, is there any way I can root?
Answer: No, no known exploit works on the RAZR M, unless you have a unlocked bootloader. Then you can flash a custom recovery and flash a superuser.zip and gain root access (Credits - fredsky2)

Question: Can I unlock my bootloader now that I have the kitkat update?
Answer: No, the bootloader has been patched ever since the JB OTA. No exploits will work with the RAZR M.

Question: Will Rootkeeper keep root after the OTA?
Answer: I've yet to see it work so I assume no.

Question: When I take the OTA, will it lock my bootloader?
Answer: No, once the bootloader is unlocked, it cannot be relocked.

Question: Can I downgrade to Jellybean after the Kitkat OTA?
Answer: No, the bootloader is locked, meaning you cannot downgrade or even touch the kernel.

Question: How can I return my phone to stock so I can receive the OTA?
Answer: RSD back to stock.

Question: Where can I get the SBF Files for the DROID RAZR M?
Answer: Here: http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=8

Question: My phone won't let me take the Kitkat ota, what do I do?
Answer: Most likely it's because apps are disabled or root is present. RSD back to stock is typically the solution to the problem. If you want to RSD back to stock but don't want to lose your data, look for the question below.

Question: Can I sim unlock after I take the Kitkat update? (Suggestion Credits - gtmaster303)
Answer: Yes! There is a tutorial with video on how to do it found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2487863 . MAKE SURE YOU HAVE PROPER DRIVERS INSTALLED!

Question: Can I flash a custom recovery after the Kitkat update?
Answer: No, unless your bootloader is unlocked.

Question: I'm getting a getvar error, how do I fix it?
Answer: In the xml file found in the zip, delete any getvar lines at the beginning of the file.

Question: Can I RSD without clearing data?
Answer: Yes! I asked myself and I'm adding this for others sake. Delete the <step operation="erase" partition="userdata" /> line in the XML file found in the zip. I suggest using it only for when you're on the same version of the update. So 9.30.1 to 9.30.1. Give credits to lem22 for helping me out! http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2755924

Question: What's are the overall changes/problems with Kitkat? (Suggestion Credits - Strife89)
Answer: There has been a full list provided here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52736453&postcount=1 , click the show button below to see Strife89's list! :)

The Good

The Neutral / Very Subjective

• The AOSP keyboard has changed; the keys are smaller and, in landscape, very squashed. You may need to adjust to it (I'm trying, but it's a struggle) or find a replacement.
  • Battery life when the phone is actively in use has not been noticeably improved in my experience; but it hasn't been noticeably worsened, either.
  • There's now a shortcut to the camera from the lock screen, which can be used even if the phone is locked by a pattern/PIN/etc. (Great if you're a shutterbug; not so great if someone else decides to troll your Dropbox/Drive account.)
  • The Google Camera app works - but Photosphere can't be used, as the Razr M doesn't have a gyroscope.

The Bad

If there are any extra questions needed to be added, let me know and I'd be more then willing to add them!

If there is a user having problems that are listed in this thread, just link him here! :)

I posted both here and Q&A because questions seem to pop up in both places. I'm doing this to clean up the forums a bit better and keep questions from being asked multiple times. Hope this helps and have a great day! :)

Last edited:

Strife89

Apr 29, 2011
As many of us have took the recent Kitkat OTA we have a variety of questions. Since there have been many threads asking the same question or related to the same question, I will be making this thread to keep this from continuing.
(SNIP)

May I suggest merging some of the info from this into the post? Linked post is intended to be helpful for those who haven't taken the update yet and are asking what it's like. (Not as numerous as the threads from those who DID take the OTA, but they're there.)

Since I wrote said post: feel free to chop it to bits as needed, if you use it. :p

Last edited:

megaghostgamer

Nov 19, 2011
You should add info about Sim unlocking on KK too. Great write up. I will get this thread stickied

Sent from my Droid RAZR M

Sim information has been added and credits have been given! :)

Thank you for the sticky!

May I suggest merging some of the info from this into the post? Linked post is intended to be helpful for those who haven't taken the update yet and are asking what it's like. (Not as numerous as the threads from those who DID take the OTA, but they're there.)

Since I wrote said post: feel free to chop it to bits as needed, if you use it. :p

I added your list to the thread, just click the show button and it shows all of your listings of Kk enhancements / disadvantages . Credits were given to you! :)

gtmaster303

Oct 19, 2010
This is the response I got from our lovely mod when I tried to get this stickied: The acting moderator in charge of your case has marked the issue as resolved due to the following reason(s):
Not necessary, thread will stay afloat if used actively.
. Like he knows what's best for a device that he doesn't use... Oh well I tried

Reactions: megaghostgamer

megaghostgamer

Nov 19, 2011
This is the response I got from our lovely mod when I tried to get this stickied: The acting moderator in charge of your case has marked the issue as resolved due to the following reason(s):

Typical. I couldn't expect any less. Let there be more pointless threads then. More for them to "monitor".

Also if anyone has any questions that aren't on the list don't be afraid to ask :)

Sent from my Dell Venue 8

seasonone

Oct 12, 2011
Portland
Less KitKat related but since most of the Q/A are root related: What's the last version that the bootloader is unlockable? My on contract phone met a watery death so I snagged a used Razr M, I know it's a long shot but what should I be looking for when it comes? I'm seeing a few different #'s but it looks like 9.8.1Q-66, 98.15.66.xt907.verizon.en.us is the last one right?

fredsky2

Jan 25, 2012
(deleted the quote code by accident)
Answer: No, no known exploit works on the RAZR M
---------------------------
Imho i think it would be nice to point out if you can or cannot have root if your bootloader is unlocked
Like, 'question: my bootloader is unlocked, does that means i have a green card?'
=p

Overall awesome thread op, thanks for doing this for the razrm community

GnatGoSplat

Apr 29, 2007
Less KitKat related but since most of the Q/A are root related: What's the last version that the bootloader is unlockable? My on contract phone met a watery death so I snagged a used Razr M, I know it's a long shot but what should I be looking for when it comes? I'm seeing a few different #'s but it looks like 9.8.1Q-66, 98.15.66.xt907.verizon.en.us is the last one right?

Yes, you're correct, that's the last one with unlockable BL. If that's what you have, you are LUCKY!

Also, I've just discovered it's not possible to downgrade to JB after flashing KK even with an UNLOCKED bootloader!

seasonone

Oct 12, 2011
Portland
Yes, you're correct, that's the last one with unlockable BL. If that's what you have, you are LUCKY!

Also, I've just discovered it's not possible to downgrade to JB after flashing KK even with an UNLOCKED bootloader!

Thanks, I know the odds aren't great I just want to be sure before I update, could come with kit kat making version pretty irrelevant.

megaghostgamer

Nov 19, 2011
Thank you all for suggestions and thank you for answering questions while I was gone camping! I'm back and will be updating thread with credits! :)

Klen2

It is possible. Just tz partition and one other can't be. If you remove command to flash them from xml, you'll be able to downgrade via RSD.

Odesláno z mého ZTE V807 pomocí Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Answer: No, no known exploit works on the RAZR M, unless you have a unlocked bootloader. Then you can flash a custom recovery and flash a superuser.zip and gain root access (Credits - fredsky2)

Question: Can I unlock my bootloader now that I have the kitkat update?
    Answer: No, the bootloader has been patched ever since the JB OTA. No exploits will work with the RAZR M.

Question: Will Rootkeeper keep root after the OTA?
    Answer: I've yet to see it work so I assume no.

Question: When I take the OTA, will it lock my bootloader?
    Answer: No, once the bootloader is unlocked, it cannot be relocked.

Question: Can I downgrade to Jellybean after the Kitkat OTA?
    Answer: No, the bootloader is locked, meaning you cannot downgrade or even touch the kernel.

Question: How can I return my phone to stock so I can receive the OTA?
    Answer: RSD back to stock.

Question: Where can I get the SBF Files for the DROID RAZR M?
    Answer: Here: http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=8

Question: My phone won't let me take the Kitkat ota, what do I do?
    Answer: Most likely it's because apps are disabled or root is present. RSD back to stock is typically the solution to the problem. If you want to RSD back to stock but don't want to lose your data, look for the question below.

Question: Can I sim unlock after I take the Kitkat update? (Suggestion Credits - gtmaster303)
    Answer: Yes! There is a tutorial with video on how to do it found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2487863 . MAKE SURE YOU HAVE PROPER DRIVERS INSTALLED!

Question: Can I flash a custom recovery after the Kitkat update?
    Answer: No, unless your bootloader is unlocked.

Question: I'm getting a getvar error, how do I fix it?
    Answer: In the xml file found in the zip, delete any getvar lines at the beginning of the file.

Question: Can I RSD without clearing data?
    Answer: Yes! I asked myself and I'm adding this for others sake. Delete the <step operation="erase" partition="userdata" /> line in the XML file found in the zip. I suggest using it only for when you're on the same version of the update. So 9.30.1 to 9.30.1. Give credits to lem22 for helping me out! http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2755924

Question: What's are the overall changes/problems with Kitkat? (Suggestion Credits - Strife89)
    Answer: There has been a full list provided here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52736453&postcount=1 , click the show button below to see Strife89's list! :)

The Good

The Neutral / Very Subjective

• The AOSP keyboard has changed; the keys are smaller and, in landscape, very squashed. You may need to adjust to it (I'm trying, but it's a struggle) or find a replacement.
    • Battery life when the phone is actively in use has not been noticeably improved in my experience; but it hasn't been noticeably worsened, either.
    • There's now a shortcut to the camera from the lock screen, which can be used even if the phone is locked by a pattern/PIN/etc. (Great if you're a shutterbug; not so great if someone else decides to troll your Dropbox/Drive account.)
    • The Google Camera app works - but Photosphere can't be used, as the Razr M doesn't have a gyroscope.

The Bad

If there are any extra questions needed to be added, let me know and I'd be more then willing to add them!

If there is a user having problems that are listed in this thread, just link him here! :)

I posted both here and Q&A because questions seem to pop up in both places. I'm doing this to clean up the forums a bit better and keep questions from being asked multiple times. Hope this helps and have a great day! :)
    (SNIP)

You should add info about Sim unlocking on KK too. Great write up. I will get this thread stickied

Not necessary, thread will stay afloat if used actively.