Another reason to avoid Sprint

Search This thread

Puzzlegal

Nov 1, 2011
So, I've been with Sprint for a while. In the past, they have given me decent customer support, and better service than my husband gets on T-Mobile.So I decided to stick with them instead of going to a discount carrier (like Net10) or T-mobile. And I wanted a one-handed phone. I had planned to get the Galaxy IV mini when it came to Sprint, but when I went to purchase it, I asked whether I could use a different SIM when I travel abroad. The salesperson looked it up, and said "no". Thus, I ended up with a Moto X.

I got it SIM unlocked. Then I had all sorts of flaky problems with it, and ended up having it replaced under warrantee. Sprint wouldn't help me with that, because they wouldn't touch Moto-Maker phones, so I had to deal with Motorola directly. (And not the convenient Sprint shop around the corner from my office. - another reason I have liked Sprint obsolete, no more convenient service.)

So I tried to get the new phone unlocked. PROBLEM! Sprint will only unlock one phone per year per customer. They think they can amke an exception since this is a warrantee replacement.

Never heard back from them.

Called again today to check on the progress. Oops! My request was denied. They have no record of having replaced the phone. Because they freaking refused to... If I FAX them PROOF that Motorola replaced it under warrantee, maybe they will reconsider. And hey, maybe they will even tell me the result of that reconsideration. Or not. I guess I will find out. No, I can't forward the email I got from Motorola. No, they can't send me an email documenting what they want me to do. Apparently, Sprint hasn't entered the email age, and only deals withy phone calls and faxes. Who the #### uses faxes these days?

Wish me luck.

Next phone won't be with Sprint. Sigh. I wish I could pay for decent customer serive without paying for frequent upgrades and stuff. I wish we had a market like in Europe where you buy a phone, and you buy service, and the two aren't intertwined.

Puzzlegal

Nov 1, 2011
Don't tell us, tell Sprint. You might be surprised what a registered letter addressed to the CEO can accomplish.

Thanks. I will give them a chance to unlock the phone by following the last set of instructions they gave me (dig up all my email from motorola and fax it to them) but if that doesn't work, I will try that. Maybe I'll write anyway to complain about the unfriendly customer service, but it seems premature to write in the middle of a request.

mulhiny

Nov 15, 2008
Update NY
Might seem cheesy, but I've always found emailing dan@sprint.com resolves my issues. You email and they will call you the next day. I believe these folks are about as high as you can go. Plus, once someone calls you, you have a direct number to cal back and deal with only one rep until your issue is resolved..hope this helps a little.

Good luck!

Sent from my XT1056 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Puzzlegal

Nov 1, 2011
Might seem cheesy, but I've always found emailing dan@sprint.com resolves my issues. You email and they will call you the next day. I believe these folks are about as high as you can go. Plus, once someone calls you, you have a direct number to cal back and deal with only one rep until your issue is resolved..hope this helps a little.

Good luck!

Thanks! That looks like a good next step, if this doesn't work. I found my correspondence from Motorola, and as I remembered, a lot of it is vague "we have mailed your new phone", rather than "we have mailed your warranty replacement", but one of their letters did say

Thanks for contacting Motorola. Our goal is to get a customized, working phone in your hands, making it as easy as possible for you.

Here's the first step in the return of your broken phone - the Return Authorization Number (RMA): 140114-011410. This is necessary to process your return so hold onto it.

I'm hopeful that will be good enough. Of course, there's nothing to prove that I didn't compose that email myself ("fax us the email" really seems dumb, as a form of "proof") but I also have the letter saying "it's been shipped and the cost was $0" and the FedEx mailing label. Hopefully, that will convince them.

They claim they sent me email when they first denied the unlock request. I never got that email, but I suppose some computer may have thought it was spam and deleted it before I saw it. These things do sometimes happen.

Puzzlegal

Nov 1, 2011
After faxing them a letter detailing the issue, along with 30 pages of correspondence from Motorola, I got a call that they had decided to unlock the phone, eventually followed up with an email stating the phone is now unlocked.

Thank you for your advice and support. It improved my sanity. :)

Reactions: mulhiny
Oct 8, 2012
California
So, I've been with Sprint for a while. In the past, they have given me decent customer support, and better service than my husband gets on T-Mobile.So I decided to stick with them instead of going to a discount carrier (like Net10) or T-mobile. And I wanted a one-handed phone. I had planned to get the Galaxy IV mini when it came to Sprint, but when I went to purchase it, I asked whether I could use a different SIM when I travel abroad. The salesperson looked it up, and said "no". Thus, I ended up with a Moto X.

I got it SIM unlocked. Then I had all sorts of flaky problems with it, and ended up having it replaced under warrantee. Sprint wouldn't help me with that, because they wouldn't touch Moto-Maker phones, so I had to deal with Motorola directly. (And not the convenient Sprint shop around the corner from my office. - another reason I have liked Sprint obsolete, no more convenient service.)

So I tried to get the new phone unlocked. PROBLEM! Sprint will only unlock one phone per year per customer. They think they can amke an exception since this is a warrantee replacement.

Never heard back from them.

Called again today to check on the progress. Oops! My request was denied. They have no record of having replaced the phone. Because they freaking refused to... If I FAX them PROOF that Motorola replaced it under warrantee, maybe they will reconsider. And hey, maybe they will even tell me the result of that reconsideration. Or not. I guess I will find out. No, I can't forward the email I got from Motorola. No, they can't send me an email documenting what they want me to do. Apparently, Sprint hasn't entered the email age, and only deals withy phone calls and faxes. Who the #### uses faxes these days?

Wish me luck.

Next phone won't be with Sprint. Sigh. I wish I could pay for decent customer serive without paying for frequent upgrades and stuff. I wish we had a market like in Europe where you buy a phone, and you buy service, and the two aren't intertwined.

My parents had Sprint in the early 2000s and even back then they had horrible customer service. I stick with Verizon their CS is pretty spot on.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Good luck!

Next phone won't be with Sprint.
    Don't tell us, tell Sprint. You might be surprised what a registered letter addressed to the CEO can accomplish.
    After faxing them a letter detailing the issue, along with 30 pages of correspondence from Motorola, I got a call that they had decided to unlock the phone, eventually followed up with an email stating the phone is now unlocked.

Thank you for your advice and support. It improved my sanity. :)