[HOW TO] UNROOT, get phone to STOCK firmware

Search This thread

tubaking182

Mar 28, 2008
ok since there are 5 threads right now on the first page about how to do it and there shouldn't be, this is what you do, i will not link anything to anything because you should be able to find everything pretty easily(they are all stickies)

so all of you that messed something up on your phone and need to get it back into warranty this is how, FOLLOW THESE STEPS:

NOTE: if you have flashed a custom splash screen to splash2 then you will need to erase that before step one with this code
plug phone into usb in fastboot mode
Code:
fastboot erase splash2
After that you will have only one splash screen and when you flash the .nbh you will be fine

1. Get the original SPL for your phone, get it here
2. Rename it to update.zip and copy it to your sd card. /sdcard
3. Download the DREAIMG.nbh from here.
4. Place DREAIMG.nbh on the root of your SD card. /sdcard
5. Go into your phones recovery. [Hold the home & power button]
6. Push Alt+S on your G1 to flash it with update.zip
7. After it does its thing, gettig back to your home screen.
4. Start phone in bootloader. [Hold camera+power button]
5. Hit power to start the update DO NOT INTERRUPT!! i can not stress this enough.
6. Click on the action button(track ball) and your phone will reboot.
7. YOU NOW HAVE STOCK FIRMWARE, it will update on it's own in a little bit, or *Settings>About phone>System Updates*

Last edited by a moderator:

vinnynanni

Apr 19, 2009
New York City
Mods sticky

Hey man you got my vote it was drivin me insane tryin to find this and thank you!!! Also, just to amke sure that it worked, what is it supposed to say on "About Phone". Thank you man :p

Last edited:

giantcrazy

Sep 29, 2007
Just wanted to add one point - I followed this guide, but there's one bit that might not be obvious.

DREAIMG.nbh will restore your phone *mostly* to stock. There's one thing it won't change - the second splash image. If you've changed your splash images, you might want to restore them to stock separately before following these instructions.

Wouldn't be an issue for most users, but in my case the keyboard bit the dust and I had to do a return, and once I set it back to stock I couldn't re-root (and was left returning the phone with a custom second splash image).

rhwd2003

Apr 15, 2009
i followed all of these steps and as it was applying the dreamimg rc29 for me it said failure... what do i try now? it seems that now my phone will only boot to the multi-colored screen and everytime i try to apply the update it fails about 3/4th of the way through... my phone doesnt work... any thoughts on how to fix this?

Last edited:

rhwd2003

Apr 15, 2009
found the problem, sorry for my ignorance i didnt format the card completely so there were other files in the root and all i did was reformat and just copy the nbh file back over and it worked just fine sorry guys

kenny9438

Mar 19, 2009
one question...do i have to find the stock rc30 and rc33 to update also?? aren's there somethings required to update to cupcake? (like radio??)

tubaking182

Mar 28, 2008
one question...do i have to find the stock rc30 and rc33 to update also?? aren's there somethings required to update to cupcake? (like radio??)
you don't need to find the RC30 or RC33 files because when you have the stock RC29 your phone will update on it's own after a few hours. the only thing needed to upgrade to cupcake is the cupcake image. the radio is a choice and you ocan choose not to flash it. i still use the original radio that came on the phone with RC30 simply because i have been too lazy to get the latest radios

zhaosc

Mar 16, 2009
I just unrooted myself, just for a while.

Now I am on RC8, am I going to have to play the waiting game for RC9 uk or can I grab RC9 elsewhere? I have searched on this site for RC9 and it just returns 0 results.

Excuse my fatal error newbish ways, there is lots of us out there. ;o)

Thanks.

***EDIT***
It just automatically did it! Ignore my post.

ERRRR.....its 1.5 now, and im in the uk. it says firmware 1.5!!!!! build number CRB17 KERNEL 2.6.27.-00392-G8312BAF ANDROID BUILD@apa27 #72

lol Am I the first in the uk to recieve this ?

I did the same thing. But I am still on RC8... Did you upgrade to RC9 before 1.5?

setspeed

May 4, 2009
I just unrooted myself, just for a while.

Now I am on RC8, am I going to have to play the waiting game for RC9 uk or can I grab RC9 elsewhere? I have searched on this site for RC9 and it just returns 0 results.

Excuse my fatal error newbish ways, there is lots of us out there. ;o)

Thanks.

***EDIT***
It just automatically did it! Ignore my post.

ERRRR.....its 1.5 now, and im in the uk. it says firmware 1.5!!!!! build number CRB17 KERNEL 2.6.27.-00392-G8312BAF ANDROID BUILD@apa27 #72

lol Am I the first in the uk to recieve this ?

I rooted my fone for the first time today and played around. In the end I decided to unroot, because I need steeel and chompsms too much.
I went back to RC7 (my phone was previously RC9 before I rooted). How long should I expect to wait before my G1 auto-updates?
Thanks!

tubaking182

Mar 28, 2008
the greatest thing about the thread? well since making it i have only seen two people post that they need to unroot their phone and don'w know how. woo hoo

kiladubz

May 8, 2009
Miami
its been over 24 hours since ii brought mine back to "stock" and i still havent received the update, what the f is going on? is this normal? sorry but im a newb.

tubaking182

Mar 28, 2008
to all of you that haven't recieved an update yet, there is an option in settings that will allow you to check for updates. or download anycut and create a shortcut. if you do not know how to follow the instructions in this thread you probably shouldn't have rooted your phone. i have reciueved many PM's about how to do this and as much as i am willing to help you, i expect you to have SOME common sense, if you do not i will not help

kiladubz

May 8, 2009
Miami
sorry man, didn't mean to piss you off, i stated im a newbie, i have the firm belief that nobody learns unless they try it themselves, albeit some help from others never hurts, + the version checker is on rc33, not rc29, hence i cannot take that route, if not i already would have. i guess ill simply continue to wait, phone works fine, just does not load any apps that have to be paid for on marketplace, i work for t-mobile, so im hoping that they may have stopped ota's of rc33 since we are launching 1.5 soon. quick question for those who know, is the build number supposed to be TC4-RC29 115247? this is the one i have. Thanks man!

+ I followed your instructions to a t. and have the classic "rainbow" android boot screen.

Last edited:

rocket69

May 9, 2009
What happend to the sticky?? I culd have sworn this was stick yesterday.. PS thanks for this thread as i had to unroot my first g1 now i might have to do my second one .. argg..

semyazza

Apr 20, 2009
Alternate way to revert to stock firmware without waiting for update

Hello,
This is my first post. I have been using an alternate way that I figured out to return to stock. This also works when you try to install an official update and it rejects the package due to invalid keys or device checks. You MUST already have root on your phone for this to work.

1) download official firmware image (whatever version you want)
2) extract recovery image from package to root of SD card
3) rename downloaded package to update.zip and place in root of SD card
3) reflash recovery image from terminal on rooted g1

mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
cd sdcard flash_image recovery recovery.img
cat recovery.img > /system/recovery.img

4) Restart phone in recovery mode and proceed with update
5)Profit! Well, stock g1 without having to flash to RC29 and wait for an update.

I feel this is a more straightfoward way to flash back to stock. YMMV.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ok since there are 5 threads right now on the first page about how to do it and there shouldn't be, this is what you do, i will not link anything to anything because you should be able to find everything pretty easily(they are all stickies)

so all of you that messed something up on your phone and need to get it back into warranty this is how, FOLLOW THESE STEPS:

NOTE: if you have flashed a custom splash screen to splash2 then you will need to erase that before step one with this code
    plug phone into usb in fastboot mode
    Code:
    fastboot erase splash2
    After that you will have only one splash screen and when you flash the .nbh you will be fine

1. Get the original SPL for your phone, get it here
    2. Rename it to update.zip and copy it to your sd card. /sdcard
    3. Download the DREAIMG.nbh from here.
    4. Place DREAIMG.nbh on the root of your SD card. /sdcard
    5. Go into your phones recovery. [Hold the home & power button]
    6. Push Alt+S on your G1 to flash it with update.zip
    7. After it does its thing, gettig back to your home screen.
    4. Start phone in bootloader. [Hold camera+power button]
    5. Hit power to start the update DO NOT INTERRUPT!! i can not stress this enough.
    6. Click on the action button(track ball) and your phone will reboot.
    7. YOU NOW HAVE STOCK FIRMWARE, it will update on it's own in a little bit, or *Settings>About phone>System Updates*