Getting OTA's after flashing custom recovery

Search This thread

firefiber

Aug 28, 2012
Hi guys,

I just got my Nexus 5 (I had an HTC One S, which got stolen - the most beautiful phone EVER!).

I was just wondering, if I root and flash a custom recovery, how would I get OTA's? Would I need to re-root, and flash the stock recovery again? Would that work?

Now before everyone jumps on me, I DID read this thread about going back to stock, but it says, quote,
either when you want to RMA your phone, or you want to fix your mistakes.
. Does this mean I CAN'T get OTA's even if I flash back to stock?

Please let me know! Because I want to get Xposed, but I need to make a back up first, and to do that, I need a custom recovery (that's not the only reason, just one).

Thanks!

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Go to general and search "ota help-desk". It tells you all about it.

Edit... oh you are in general. You confused me by asking a question. Questions don't go in general.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: firefiber
You can always go back to stock by downloading the stock images directly from Google. You don't need to back up anything.
OTAs won't work if you have custom recovery. All you have to do is flash the stock recovery and you're good to go.
You can extract the stock recovery from the Google image I mentioned above.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: firefiber

firefiber

Aug 28, 2012
Holy crap, that was quick! Thanks guys! Got it, so I can flash a custom recovery, do what I need to do, and then flash back to stock when there's an OTA. Perfect!

And sorry about the not asking questions in the General section, didn't know! My bad!

Thanks again!

Reactions: danarama

BirchBarlow

Oct 6, 2013
Philadelphia
When there's an update, you can download the patches from the OTA help desk thread, or you can just flash the latest version of the factory image if you don't mind reinstalling your apps (probably better this way).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    When there's an update, you can download the patches from the OTA help desk thread, or you can just flash the latest version of the factory image if you don't mind reinstalling your apps (probably better this way).
    Go to general and search "ota help-desk". It tells you all about it.

Edit... oh you are in general. You confused me by asking a question. Questions don't go in general.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    You can always go back to stock by downloading the stock images directly from Google. You don't need to back up anything.
    OTAs won't work if you have custom recovery. All you have to do is flash the stock recovery and you're good to go.
    You can extract the stock recovery from the Google image I mentioned above.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Holy crap, that was quick! Thanks guys! Got it, so I can flash a custom recovery, do what I need to do, and then flash back to stock when there's an OTA. Perfect!

And sorry about the not asking questions in the General section, didn't know! My bad!

Thanks again!