[GUIDE] How to make your very own boot animation for the Nexus 7 + flashable guide.

Search This thread

AFAinHD

Mar 25, 2011
Fenton, Missouri
afainhd.3owl.com
DO NOT QUOTE THIS POST

Hello people of XDA!!!

As you may know, my name is AFAinHD, and I'm here to show you, how you can create your very own boot animation.

What you will need:
A brain (Hey you bought a Nexus 7, you must have a brain laying around somewhere right?)
Notepad++
WinRAR
A root file explorer on your Nexus 7, I use Root Browser.
A rooted Nexus 7 (Duhh. :p)

Okay so now that you got your stuff, lets get to it.
First things first, lets round up our pictures that we want to be in the boot animation.
tLQOt.jpg

This is important, all of your pictures must be in .png or .jpg format, and they must be named like (something001, something002, something003, and so on.)

Now that we have our pictures all ready to go, lets start putting them into proper folders.
8Goff.jpg

Let's just make a folder on our desktop called "New Boot Animation"

oiZ7u.jpg

Now lets go ahead and put a subfolder here and name it "part0" (you can name it what ever you want but this is what I will be referring to later in the thread)

M5Gq6.jpg

Now lets move all of our pictures into part0.

Now that we've got that we are going to have to make a text file telling the system what to do with these pictures.

Remember that program I told you to download? Notepad++? Here is where you need it.
Open up NotePad++ and create a new file.

Now the file is going to look like this...
Code:
808 1288 19
p 1 0 part0
p 0 0 part1

Now let me just explain what all that means,
"808 1288" This is the resolution of your boot animation, for the Nexus 7 this is Width - 808 by Height - 1288.
"19" This is your frame rate, or the speed at which your boot animation will be playing by frames per second.
"p 1 0 part0" The "p" is telling the system to play this part, the "1" is how many times you want the system to play this folder (0 being infinate loops till boot) the "0" is how long should the system wait (in milliseconds) before playing the next folder, and "part0" is telling the system which folder to play with these settings.

So by this code I want the folder "part0" to play 1 time and then switch to folder "part1" with no delay, and I want "part1" to loop itself untill the Nexus 7 has completed it's boot.

6aS8D.jpg

(Remember you only need to put "part1" if you are going to have more than one folder playing)

Now lets go ahead and put this file into our main folder, and lets name it "desc.txt".

Z6OUa.jpg

Okay, now we have the folders all completed. Now all we have to do is make this into a zip file.
Let's open up WinRAR and go into our folder.

JbwkB.jpg

Now lets select all the files and hit the button "add".

7GjGV.jpg

Now lets go ahead and change the archive name to "bootanimation"
On the left side change the archive format to Zip.
Right below that change the compression method to "store".

cQqeV.jpg

Now at the bottom hit "ok".

Now go check out your main folder, there will be a new file called bootanimation.zip.

Dxnna.jpg

(If you want to make your bootanimation flashable, that will be explained later on, be patient.)

Now go ahead and connect your Nexus 7 and move your bootanimation.zip to the root of your storage.

t1uF0.jpg

Now lets make it to our Nexus 7.

Go ahead and open your root file browser.

XsPb3.jpg

Go ahead and find your bootanimation.zip and copy it.

z8NT5.png

Now go to system>media

89IbS.png

0jmfe.png

Now in this folder you will see your current bootanimation.zip, back it up, delete it, or rape it, it's your choice, but after that paste your new bootanimation.zip into this folder.

Now, restart your tablet, and profit. :laugh:

Thanks for hitting thanks!!!

Last edited:

AFAinHD

Mar 25, 2011
Fenton, Missouri
afainhd.3owl.com
Screen_Hunter_01_Dec_02_19_35.jpg

So now you have your boot animation complete, and now you want to make it so you can share it easily with other people.
Well now let's learn how to make this baby flashable.
First thing you are going to need to know is the folder set-up that you will using for the flashable.zip.
This is what is gonna be in the .zip file.
Code:
META-INF-->com-->google-->android
system-->media
Here is what it should look like.
Screen_Hunter_03_Dec_02_19_51.jpg

Now under META-INF-->com-->google-->android we are going to have to make a text file to tell the recover partition what to do.
We are going to make a file called "updater-script"
You will be making this file in notepad++
Now here is what my updater script looks like,
Code:
ui_print("Thanks for downloading the AFAinHD Beautiful Boot, lets flash this. Let me mount system real quick.");
run_program("/sbin/mount", "/system");

ui_print("Let me just extract these files for you");
package_extract_dir("system", "/system");

ui_print("Here I'll go ahead and unmount system...");
run_program("/sbin/umount", "/system");
ui_print("Your AFAinHD Beautiful Boot has been flashed. Please go to XDA and give me a thanks if you like this bootanimation!");
Now let me help you understand this.
ui_print("XXX");
This command just displays some sort of text on the screen when the .zip is flashing.

This mounts the system partition so it can be modified.

This extracts the bootanimation itself (I will get to this later)

This unmounts the system partition.

Now that is a simple explanation to making an updater script, just remember to always put the ; after each command.

Now just save that file under META-INF-->com-->google-->android.
You will also need to put a file called update-binary here. This file only works for the nexus 7. Here is the file - here.

fKnuy.jpg

Now let's put the bootanimation in the system-->media folder.

2Ich6.jpg

Now we just have to compile it into a flashable.zip file.

Screen_Hunter_06_Dec_02_20_05.jpg

Screen_Hunter_07_Dec_02_20_05.jpg

Screen_Hunter_08_Dec_02_20_05.jpg

Screen_Hunter_09_Dec_02_20_05.jpg

There you go. Now you have your very own flashable boot animation.
Remember to hit that thanks button, leave feedback, and check out my AFAinHD Beautiful Boots for some awesome flashable boot animations.

Last edited:

bobarune

Nov 5, 2010
Do you mind sharing the boot animation that's in your tutorial?

Edit: Nvm. Found it in your sig

AFAinHD

Mar 25, 2011
Fenton, Missouri
afainhd.3owl.com
Here's a guide I made a while back on actually making the boot animation in Photoshop. But the kindle fire forums are a bit dead so not a lot of people have seen it.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=32476582

Sent from my Nexus 7

You can make the boot animations in a wide variety of programs, I make my Beautiful Boots in Cinema 4D and After Effects. Hell some people even make them in paint. You can use any image software that you are good at, this thread assumes that you already know how to make the pictures before hand, we don't want to spoon feed the noobs, we gotta teach them how to fend for themselves. :)

Sent from my LG-C729 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: fury-s12

restlessrob

Oct 2, 2012
Accrington
I followed the guide but rather than get a diff boot animation I got the android logo(small one)

edit: I dunno why but the boot ani wont work by copying it into system/media. But i used rom control in settings and it worked thanks for the guide

My boot ani is total crap... But its quite amusing to play around

Last edited:

AFAinHD

Mar 25, 2011
Fenton, Missouri
afainhd.3owl.com
I followed the guide but rather than get a diff boot animation I got the android logo(small one)

edit: I dunno why but the boot ani wont work by copying it into system/media. But i used rom control in settings and it worked thanks for the guide

My boot ani is total crap... But its quite amusing to play around

If you would like you can send me your bootanimation.zip and I'll check it out maybe figure out why it didn't work.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

Reactions: fury-s12

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DO NOT QUOTE THIS POST

Hello people of XDA!!!

As you may know, my name is AFAinHD, and I'm here to show you, how you can create your very own boot animation.

What you will need:
    A brain (Hey you bought a Nexus 7, you must have a brain laying around somewhere right?)
    Notepad++
    WinRAR
    A root file explorer on your Nexus 7, I use Root Browser.
    A rooted Nexus 7 (Duhh. :p)

Okay so now that you got your stuff, lets get to it.
    First things first, lets round up our pictures that we want to be in the boot animation.
    tLQOt.jpg

This is important, all of your pictures must be in .png or .jpg format, and they must be named like (something001, something002, something003, and so on.)

Now that we have our pictures all ready to go, lets start putting them into proper folders.
    8Goff.jpg

Let's just make a folder on our desktop called "New Boot Animation"

oiZ7u.jpg

Now lets go ahead and put a subfolder here and name it "part0" (you can name it what ever you want but this is what I will be referring to later in the thread)

M5Gq6.jpg

Now lets move all of our pictures into part0.

Now that we've got that we are going to have to make a text file telling the system what to do with these pictures.

Remember that program I told you to download? Notepad++? Here is where you need it.
    Open up NotePad++ and create a new file.

Now the file is going to look like this...
    Code:
    808 1288 19
    p 1 0 part0
    p 0 0 part1

Now let me just explain what all that means,
    "808 1288" This is the resolution of your boot animation, for the Nexus 7 this is Width - 808 by Height - 1288.
    "19" This is your frame rate, or the speed at which your boot animation will be playing by frames per second.
    "p 1 0 part0" The "p" is telling the system to play this part, the "1" is how many times you want the system to play this folder (0 being infinate loops till boot) the "0" is how long should the system wait (in milliseconds) before playing the next folder, and "part0" is telling the system which folder to play with these settings.

So by this code I want the folder "part0" to play 1 time and then switch to folder "part1" with no delay, and I want "part1" to loop itself untill the Nexus 7 has completed it's boot.

6aS8D.jpg

(Remember you only need to put "part1" if you are going to have more than one folder playing)

Now lets go ahead and put this file into our main folder, and lets name it "desc.txt".

Z6OUa.jpg

Okay, now we have the folders all completed. Now all we have to do is make this into a zip file.
    Let's open up WinRAR and go into our folder.

JbwkB.jpg

Now lets select all the files and hit the button "add".

7GjGV.jpg

Now lets go ahead and change the archive name to "bootanimation"
    On the left side change the archive format to Zip.
    Right below that change the compression method to "store".

cQqeV.jpg

Now at the bottom hit "ok".

Now go check out your main folder, there will be a new file called bootanimation.zip.

Dxnna.jpg

(If you want to make your bootanimation flashable, that will be explained later on, be patient.)

Now go ahead and connect your Nexus 7 and move your bootanimation.zip to the root of your storage.

t1uF0.jpg

Now lets make it to our Nexus 7.

Go ahead and open your root file browser.

XsPb3.jpg

Go ahead and find your bootanimation.zip and copy it.

z8NT5.png

Now go to system>media

89IbS.png

0jmfe.png

Now in this folder you will see your current bootanimation.zip, back it up, delete it, or rape it, it's your choice, but after that paste your new bootanimation.zip into this folder.

Now, restart your tablet, and profit. :laugh:

Thanks for hitting thanks!!!
    Screen_Hunter_01_Dec_02_19_35.jpg

So now you have your boot animation complete, and now you want to make it so you can share it easily with other people.
    Well now let's learn how to make this baby flashable.
    First thing you are going to need to know is the folder set-up that you will using for the flashable.zip.
    This is what is gonna be in the .zip file.
    Code:
    META-INF-->com-->google-->android
    system-->media
    Here is what it should look like.
    Screen_Hunter_03_Dec_02_19_51.jpg

Now under META-INF-->com-->google-->android we are going to have to make a text file to tell the recover partition what to do.
    We are going to make a file called "updater-script"
    You will be making this file in notepad++
    Now here is what my updater script looks like,
    Code:
    ui_print("Thanks for downloading the AFAinHD Beautiful Boot, lets flash this. Let me mount system real quick.");

ui_print("Let me just extract these files for you");

ui_print("Here I'll go ahead and unmount system...");
    ui_print("Your AFAinHD Beautiful Boot has been flashed. Please go to XDA and give me a thanks if you like this bootanimation!");
    Now let me help you understand this.
    ui_print("XXX");
    This command just displays some sort of text on the screen when the .zip is flashing.

This mounts the system partition so it can be modified.

This extracts the bootanimation itself (I will get to this later)

This unmounts the system partition.

Now that is a simple explanation to making an updater script, just remember to always put the ; after each command.

Now just save that file under META-INF-->com-->google-->android.
    You will also need to put a file called update-binary here. This file only works for the nexus 7. Here is the file - here.

fKnuy.jpg

Now let's put the bootanimation in the system-->media folder.

2Ich6.jpg

Now we just have to compile it into a flashable.zip file.

Screen_Hunter_06_Dec_02_20_05.jpg

Screen_Hunter_07_Dec_02_20_05.jpg

Screen_Hunter_08_Dec_02_20_05.jpg

Screen_Hunter_09_Dec_02_20_05.jpg

There you go. Now you have your very own flashable boot animation.
    Remember to hit that thanks button, leave feedback, and check out my AFAinHD Beautiful Boots for some awesome flashable boot animations.
    Post #3 reserved just incase. :D
    Thank you so much, did not know it was that simple...

Silly question though...

The Nexus 7 specs are 1280x800 yet you use 1288x808. Could you please explain why?
    So for my *.png, should they all be 1288x808 resolution as well?

:)

808x1288 is the nexus 7 true resolution.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app
    I have made an animation, but whenever i boot, the default android animation play which reads "android" in the centre, please help:

The animation you're seeing is the default android boot ani. This means that the device cannot find or read your boot ani file.

1. Make sure the bootanimation.zip is in /system/media
    2. Make sure permissions for the zip file is like the following (rw-r--r--)
    N4mch.png

3. Make sure that when you zip the part0 and desc.txt files, you are compressing it using the store setting.