need to restore phone but how do I keep jelly bean ?

Search This thread

jroyjohnson

Jul 23, 2012
I hope someone can help with a dilemma I have.

I need to flash back to stock rom and do a factory reset on my AT&T SGIII - this I know how to do . However, what I don't know is if the links I've found for tar files for a stock restore (like the one posted here)are for the ice cream sandwich version that launched with the phone, or the newer jelly bean version.

If it is the older version, once I'm done restoring it back to stock and factory settings, will I get an option to update to jelly bean thru AT&T?
Or do I need to find a stock AT&T jelly bean file to flash? If so, where do I find that?

any help would be appreciated. Thanks

bleedingthru

Jun 1, 2011
I hope someone can help with a dilemma I have.

I need to flash back to stock rom and do a factory reset on my AT&T SGIII - this I know how to do . However, what I don't know is if the links I've found for tar files for a stock restore (like the one posted here)are for the ice cream sandwich version that launched with the phone, or the newer jelly bean version.

If it is the older version, once I'm done restoring it back to stock and factory settings, will I get an option to update to jelly bean thru AT&T?
Or do I need to find a stock AT&T jelly bean file to flash? If so, where do I find that?

any help would be appreciated. Thanks

this shouldnt be posted here check the general section for going back to stock

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Did you update your phone to AT&T 4.3 stock rom via an OTA update? If you did, do not flash any rom that includes an older bootloader as the flash will brick your phone.

jroyjohnson

Jul 23, 2012
Did you update your phone to AT&T 4.3 stock rom via an OTA update? If you did, do not flash any rom that includes an older bootloader as the flash will brick your phone.

No. Ever since going to the Sonic FreeGS3 Resurrection rom, I have been on the 4.1.1 version. I've never been to a more current version than that since that was the last version update for this rom and I liked it just fine.

Even though I'm not wild about having to return to stock, I am at least excited about (hopefully) being able to go up to the latest version released by AT&T. But I wasn't sure if I need to flash a stock 4.3 version AT&T rom (or even where to find that) or if I could just flash the original released stock rom and then be prompted with OTA updates to go to the newer versions.

Any thoughts or input is greatly appreciated.

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
The latest version of the AT&T ROM is 4.3 which can be done via an OTA update or Kies from a stock 4.1.1 AT&T ROM.

Any reason you need to return to stock? Personally, I would not go near 4.3 as it's not required to install KK ROMS and, once on 4.3, rooting, etc. becomes more complicated.

jroyjohnson

Jul 23, 2012
The latest version of the AT&T ROM is 4.3 which can be done via an OTA update or Kies from a stock 4.1.1 AT&T ROM.

Any reason you need to return to stock? Personally, I would not go near 4.3 as it's not required to install KK ROMS and, once on 4.3, rooting, etc. becomes more complicated.

I have to for work. That's the only reason I'm going back to a stock rom. Plus I want to trade my phone in after a few more months once my contract is up.