[Q] Prevent multi-channel audio output

Search This thread

p_a_harvey

Jan 20, 2013
I am using CROMI-X 5.4 on a TF700. It's connected via HDMI to a Denon receiver, and is used to play music, videos, etc.

Whenever I first play videos via MX Player (or music via Shuttle), the receiver says that it's receiving a stereo signal. That's good. The receiver interprets the stereo signal as Dolby PLII and it comes out all 5 speakers and subwoofer.

However, after I play a few videos or songs the receiver suddenly starts receiving a multi-channel audio signal. That's bad. The receiver doesn't mix a multi-channel audio signal, and the source audio is really only two channels, and so only two of my speakers end up being used.

I've confirmed that my media is all two channels, nothing more. Is there any way to force the TF700 to ONLY output stereo audio via HDMI? I've tried editing audio_policy.conf and commenting out the lines regarding the multi-channel capabilities of the device, but it didn't seem to have any impact.

Thanks.

p_a_harvey

Jan 20, 2013
I've confirmed that I get the same behaviour with Google Play Music, My Play Home (a game), and the default Video Player. So it's not an app-related problem.

It *may* be a problem with the receiver, but I believe it worked fine until I installed a more recent version of CROMI. I can only assume it's something to do with the newer CROMI build, or perhaps _that's kernel? In any case, I'd be happy to limit the device to stereo output in ALL cases if at all possible.