[Q] Less available RAM on 4G Moto G than 3G (and even less than the Moto E)?

Search This thread

kenbw2

Apr 11, 2011
I had in my hand my Moto G 4G, a Moto G 3G and a Moto E the other day. All of these phones advertise 1GB of RAM, yet when I checked the free RAM on all of them, they had respectively more RAM than the latter. When I totted up the used + free there was a difference of ~40MB to the 3G version, and over 100MB to the Moto E.

What gives? One of the reasons I upgraded was for more free RAM, and this is confusing me. And is it something that can be altered post-root?

For reference, my readout in Settings > Apps > Running is 662MB used, 187MB free = 849MB available.

planktoid

Aug 24, 2012
Vernon, British Columbia
Any carveout (multimedia, kernel, graphics, camera) will not be shown in this total; e.g. I do not know the details of these devices but what you see here in the 662+187 is what is available for user space apps to run; of course there are other components which need guaranteed RAM to run: kernel, buffer, graphics memory allocation. So that's where the missing RAM is. It's not really missing. It's just always allocated to the system and you want to be to that way.

Now, why is there a discrepancy between G, 4G G and E :
- Architecture (qcom) difference
- E's display is lower resolution, so you need smaller graphic/display carveout
- E has a lower resolution camera : smaller multimedia carveouts
- 4G has the LTE radio, which G does not..so probably needs some additional carveouts there (not sure about the exact architecute)

And, I totally fail to see why you would alter this post-root :)

I had in my hand my Moto G 4G, a Moto G 3G and a Moto E the other day. All of these phones advertise 1GB of RAM, yet when I checked the free RAM on all of them, they had respectively more RAM than the latter. When I totted up the used + free there was a difference of ~40MB to the 3G version, and over 100MB to the Moto E.

What gives? One of the reasons I upgraded was for more free RAM, and this is confusing me. And is it something that can be altered post-root?

For reference, my readout in Settings > Apps > Running is 662MB used, 187MB free = 849MB available.