[ROM] [FROYO] (previously) Voodoo Doctor Edition v2.1|Universal Lagfix|CWM recovery

Search This thread

kalpik

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 19, 2010
Amsterdam
www.kalpik.com
This ROM will soon be merged with Doc's ROM

Based on DocRambone's experimental JPA rom/DocRambone's JP6 ROM and sztupy's Universal Lagfix Kernel.

This ROM is just a compilation of various things on the forum itself :)

Features:
- Based on JP6/JPA (Doc's rom) (theme removed, and Facebook/Twitter sync added)
- Zipaligned
- Deodexed
- Pre-rooted
- Superlight (no touchwiz)
- Clockworkmod Recovery
- BLN support (enable via CWM)
- Voodoo enabled (ext4/jfs)
- Startup script tweaks
- Unthemed
- Modular: YOU choose what you want on your ROM ;)

In case of doubts, please check FAQ first ;)

Latest Version: v2.1

Changelog in post #2

Pre-Requisites:

1. Disable Voodoo if have it installed (create a folder named “disable lagfix” inside the “Voodoo” folder on your internal sdcard and reboot).

2. Make sure have the 2e recovery. If you don't have 2e recovery, see FAQ).

3. Make sure you have a backup of your /efs (not mandatory, but highly recommended).

4. This ROM will delete all your apps and data (not the stuff on the internal sdcard). So make sure you have proper backups (I recommend Titanium Backup)

Installation Steps:

1. Download the packaged ROM (check below) and put it on your internal sdcard.

2. Download clockworkmod recovery from here. You need Clockworkmod, this won’t work with stock recovery.

3. Rename the clockworkmod recovery file to “update.zip” and put it on your internal sdcard.

4. If you had Voodoo installed prior to installing this ROM (eclair or froyo), make sure you still have the "disable lagfix" folder inside "/sdcard/Voodoo".

5. Shutdown phone, wait for it to power down, then boot the phone into recovery mode (press volume up, keep it pressed, then press home button, keep it pressed, then press power button, keep it pressed until you see the Galaxy S screen. Release all three buttons when you see it).

6. Select “apply sdcard:update.zip” (use volume rocker to move up and down, and home button to select). Clockworkmod recovery will boot now (you may have to do apply update.zip twice for Clockworkmod to show up).

7. Once in Clockworkmod, select “install zip from sdcard” (use volume rocker to move up and down and the back button to select).

8. Select “choose zip from sdcard” and then select the ROM zip package. Choose yes then.

9. The update will start (will take some 5 minutes) and during the flashing you will see some strange big characters on the screen, don’t worry, that’s normal. After the process finishes, you will be dropped back into Clockworkmod recovery. From there, choose go back, and then reboot phone.

11. The first boot will take some time as the ROM will deodex

12. After the phone boots up, shutdown phone again, and then boot into recovery. The phone will boot DIRECTLY into Clockworkmod. From there, select a "advanced ULK features", then "Lagfix options". You can select any of the lagfix schemes (description here). I recommend NO-RFS advanced JFS or EXT4.

13. You can also enable some startup tweaks from the "Tweak options" menu.

Things to note:

1. You will see a small screen corruption when booting the phone. This is a known issue.

The ROMs

v2.0 (JPA Superslim) + 2.0 to 2.1 Patch (apply patch from CWM)
v2.1 (JP6 Full)

Extra Goodies!

JPA
1. Stock Lockscreen (Will take a LONG time to boot after applying this.. Be patient! :D)
2. Circle Battery Mod vD

JP6
1. Stock Lockscreen (Will take a LONG time to boot after applying this.. Be patient! :D)
2. Circle Battery Mod vD
3. Disable increasing ring
4. Elegant Steel Theme (Screenshot, thanks scheichuwe)
5. ANDRODeNa GaLaSSiA Theme Apparently not working with this ROM :(

Shout out to: DocRambone (for the awesome deodexed and zipaligned base rom), supercurio (for his voodoo magic), sztupy (for his exceptional lagfix kernel)

Last edited:

kalpik

May 19, 2010
Amsterdam
www.kalpik.com
Changelog:

Version 1.0: Initial internal version
Version 1.1: Updated Voodoo to pre4
Version 1.2: Added 2e recovery
Version 1.3: Added SuperSLIM version, and updated Voodoo to pre6, renamed to "Voodoo Doctor Edition" in recognition of DocRambone and Voodoo by supercurio :D

Version 2.0: Changed base ROM to Doc's experimental JPA. Now supports direct CWM boot and various lagfix options!
Version 2.1: Updated Universal Lagfix Kernel to v0.3, added JP6 full on popular demand.

Todo:

- Disable increasing ring
- Add update.zip for I9000M modem with a FAQ entry

Last edited:

kalpik

May 19, 2010
Amsterdam
www.kalpik.com
FAQ

1. I don't have 2e recovery, how should I install this ROM?: Disable Voodoo (if you have it), then install the corresponding CFRoot kernel to get 2e recovery, then flash this ROM as usual :)
2. I flashed this ROM, but I see no increase in responsiveness: Open Autokiller and set preset to "Strict".
3. I am on XXXXXXX ROM/Firmware. Can I flash this ROM?: Yes you can, as long as you have 2e recovery. If you don't, check FAQ point 1.
4. What ROM do I need to be on to flash this ROM?: This is a complete ROM, does not need a base ROM. You can flash on any firmware!
5. I am getting force closes with Maps/Voice Search: Update the apps from the market (they require manual update).
6. I'm getting error while installation (line 79/80): Reboot to stock recovery, clear data/cache, then try again. This happens very rarely, and I'm not able to pin point why (sorry for the trouble :))

Last edited:

ashwinds

Aug 10, 2010
2e!! FTW

Well done kalpik - it was such a pain to go through hell to just flash an update.zip - thanks :)

Bandis710

Mar 26, 2008
In the title it says 2e recovery (CWM compat) does that mean that if I use your rom I have voodoo and CWM ? in eclair releases , which had 2e recovery, cwm wasn't compatible with voodoo .. To get cwm working you had to disable lagfix ..is that still the case?

How did you integrate 2e with voodoo, can it be done on my current rom by replacing files or is the proces much more difficult ?

kalpik

May 19, 2010
Amsterdam
www.kalpik.com
In the title it says 2e recovery (CWM compat) does that mean that if I use your rom I have voodoo and CWM ? in eclair releases , which had 2e recovery, cwm wasn't compatible with voodoo .. To get cwm working you had to disable lagfix ..is that still the case?

How did you integrate 2e with voodoo, can it be done on my current rom by replacing files or is the proces much more difficult ?
No. It is just like eclair releases. CWM still cannot backup while Voodoo is enabled. You can replace some files to get 2e working on your own rom. Follow steps here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=813475

Bandis710

Mar 26, 2008
:) thanks for your quick answers . You are doing a great job here on the forums !

TweetyPeety

Recognized Themer
Aug 22, 2010
AWESOME haven't tried it yet ( due to the fact that I don't have internet at home until tomorrow and EDGE is pretty slow ) but this Rom is nearly everything I have right now on my Phone.

- Docs Custom Rom is one of the best
- The new Voodoo Lagfix works so smooth
- 2e Recovery was missing but it would be great if this works
- And JP6 is by far the best Froyo right now

I have only one question and maybe two wish.

??? Does "V1 Theme for JP6 with stock android lockscreen" works with this Rom or is it already Themed ???

1. Please do a Superslim Version of this ROM because most of us hate all that Samsung stuff. Of course we can delete it but it would be the best Rom right now
2. I don't know why everybody links the round Battery Icon. I think it is too big compare to the other normal Icons and it looks everytime like the top, and bottom, part touches the end of the Notificationbar ( the Icon pic looks too high for me ). I would recommend Version 2 of rom-g's mods. But anyway I can flash it afterwards with it, like I did last time with Doc's RomMod JP6 Superslim.

http://xdaforums.com/show...&postcount=895

Anyway, both of you done a great job.

jhnstn00

Oct 5, 2008
South Texas

ashwinds

Aug 10, 2010
Quick Feedback

Deploy Doc's ROM - check
Voodoo to ext4 - check
2e recovery - check
CWM from 2e - check

Looks like its all working fine here kalpik! wtg :)

gauravkittz

Oct 2, 2010
I came from eclair ddjg4... followed the steps one by one... but somehow i'm getting Force close with maps... is it just me or someone else has this problem too?? :(

Thunderica

May 13, 2008
Same question here: Does "V1 Theme for JP6 with stock android lockscreen" from DocRambone's thread works with this Rom or is it already Themed ?

wooAndroid

Oct 20, 2010
I'm having trouble at the first hurdle... it freezes when trying to flash the CWM recovery.

From the instructions it looks as though Voodoo should be enabled while flashing CWM, is this correct? Should I disable Voodoo before flashing, then re-enable once both CWM and the ROM are installed?

kalpik

May 19, 2010
Amsterdam
www.kalpik.com
kalpik
could you do the same thing, but based on DocRambone's Superslim JP6 :)
Yes.. Will do it tomorrow :)
AWESOME haven't tried it yet ( due to the fact that I don't have internet at home until tomorrow and EDGE is pretty slow ) but this Rom is nearly everything I have right now on my Phone.

- Docs Custom Rom is one of the best
- The new Voodoo Lagfix works so smooth
- 2e Recovery was missing but it would be great if this works
- And JP6 is by far the best Froyo right now

I have only one question and maybe two wish.

Does "V1 Theme for JP6 with stock android lockscreen" works with this Rom or is it already Themed ???

1. Please do a Superslim Version of this ROM because most of us hate all that Samsung stuff. Of course we can delete it but it would be the best Rom right now
2. I don't know why everybody links the round Battery Icon. I think it is too big compare to the other normal Icons and it looks everytime like the top, and bottom, part touches the end of the Notificationbar ( the Icon pic looks too high for me ). I would recommend Version 2 of rom-g's mods. But anyway I can flash it afterwards with it, like I did last time with Doc's RomMod JP6 Superslim.

http://xdaforums.com/show...&postcount=895

Anyway, both of you done a great job.
This is an unthemed ROM, you can apply the theme Doc made on it. I had bundled the Circle battery mod cause earler Voodoo did not have 2e recovery and it was not easy to apply the Battery Mod. Now that 2e is bundled, Ill remove the Batter Mod :)
Just move the files? But only 1folder with recovery. Do I copy the whole folder recovery to system/bin and copy the subfolder xbin to system?

Sent from my Captivate JPM/JI6 by Shep211
The file "recovery" goes in /system/bin/ and the folder "recovery" goes in /system/xbin/
This is a complete rom. As soon as you flash this zip, your currently installed ROM will be erased. You can even upgrade from Eclair :)
Deploy Doc's ROM - check
Voodoo to ext4 - check
2e recovery - check
CWM from 2e - check

Looks like its all working fine here kalpik! wtg :)
More to come! Im trying to bundle CWM directly with this ROM.. You are my permanent alpha tester :D
can you remove battery mod?

anybody can install [APP] SGS Battery Icon Mod and choose battery they need...
Like I said, this ROM was just a personal thing, and I liked the Circle Battery MOD, so included it as it was impossible to flash via 3e. Now that it has 2e, I will remove Battery MOD :)

kalpik

May 19, 2010
Amsterdam
www.kalpik.com
I'm having trouble at the first hurdle... it freezes when trying to flash the CWM recovery.

From the instructions it looks as though Voodoo should be enabled while flashing CWM, is this correct? Should I disable Voodoo before flashing, then re-enable once both CWM and the ROM are installed?
What firmware are you on? And btw, I took a LOT of pain making such detailed instructions, if you follow them to the word, I think you will not face any problems :)

wooAndroid

Oct 20, 2010
I'm on the stock 2.1 (I9000XXJF3) that came with the phone - you're my first rom-flash!

The recovery is 2e.

I really did follow your instructions to the letter! I'm going to re-download the CWM file incase it got corrupted en-route.

Edit: Something that I should probably mention, when loading the standard recovery, prior to doing anything it shows the following message in red:
multicsc : can not acces to /system/csc/ORA/system/

Last edited: