Skinomi & Dock, Tight Fit?

Search This thread

HuskerWebhead

Sep 24, 2010
Omaha
slapstupid.com
So I bought the Skinomi Carbon Fiber skin and it applied nicely. Today I got my dock in the mail and it's a pretty tight fit. I was wondering if it's a tight fit in general or is it just because I have the Skinomi Skin applied.

Anyone else have the Skinomi Skin and the dock?

ryan562

Feb 28, 2010
So I bought the Skinomi Carbon Fiber skin and it applied nicely. Today I got my dock in the mail and it's a pretty tight fit. I was wondering if it's a tight fit in general or is it just because I have the Skinomi Skin applied.

When and where did u order the dock from? Can u post pics of the fitment? I just installed the carbon fiber skin on mines last night. I'm still waiting on my dock from Amazon.

4a6fc09d-9727-8df2.jpg

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

thetruth1983

May 19, 2006
Galveston

I do have the dock but I have not gotten that skin even though I've been thinking about it. Is it tight enough where it may mess up the skin?

ryan562

Feb 28, 2010
That looks good! Is that the "regular" black Carbon Fiber skin, or the Silver Carbon Fiber skin?

I've had a black Skinomi carbon fiber skin on a Viewsonic gTablet, and it has held up quite well over 8 months, so I'm considering getting this for the slick Transformer Prime.

i believe it is the regular black one. i didn't know they had a silver i would have jumped on that. i ordered mines from amazon as i used an amazon gift card to purchase the whole set which included the front clear protection.

i'm very surprised at how well it fits and feels. now i don't worry about it slipping out of my hands since it's rough and textured enough for gripping such a slim device that much easier to hold.

i am just worried about how it would fit with the keyboard dock per OP's concerns. amazon just emailed me and noted that my dock should get here by next wednesday. i would hate to take off such a nice guard if fitment doesn't hold up well with the dock.

i'm very surprised at how well it fits and feels. now i don't worry about it slipping out of my hands since it's rough and textured enough for gripping such a slim device that much easier to hold.

i am just worried about how it would fit with the keyboard dock per OP's concerns. amazon just emailed me and noted that my dock should get here by next wednesday. i would hate to take off such a nice guard if fitment doesn't hold up well with the dock.

Good to hear the carbon fiber skin helps with gripping the Prime.

After you get the dock, let us know how it fits and works with the dock. I notice there are thin strips of foam material on the inside of the dock hinge where the tablet is inserted, so hopefully inserting the dock will not scratch or catch on the carbon fiber skin.

soundneedle

Dec 7, 2010
Los Angeles
I installed the skinomi full body yesterday and also have the keyboard dock. The tablet fits into the dock fine; however, I there are marks left on the skin due to contact with the dock. Ultimately, the rub marks don't bother me----the skin is very smooth and nice to touch. Just waiting for skinomi to make a skin for the keyboard...

Reactions: ryan562

HuskerWebhead

Sep 24, 2010
Omaha
slapstupid.com
Turns out for me, the problem was with the Skinomi screen protector. I noticed there were marks on the screen protector where it looked like it was catching. I pulled off the screen protector and it seems to fit better now. Sorry, I already yanked it off so I don't have pictures.

aawshads

Oct 1, 2010
Dallas
i have the clear skin and the dock and have not had any issues with it. it was a tight fit with or without the skin. I have had it in and out a couple times and have not had any problems.

jb9217a

Dec 30, 2011
Binghamton, NY
Does anyone else use the dock compatible skinomi and the dock? Just got mine today and I noticed that the locking mechanism does not slide all the way to the right when docked it just sits halfway...I noticed the cutouts on the skin don't seem to fully miss the edge of the dock..could this be why?

slugbug2010

Oct 12, 2010
Austin, Tx
I have the full body skin - my tablet and dock are both covered front and back (but not the sides) with the clear skin.

I'm not sure where you mean that the cut outs on the skin don't miss the dock. The long curved like pieces at both sides of the bottom of the tablet? Mine seem fine. The tablet doesn't "hesitate" going in and it snaps in place just like before. I was gentle with it the first few times for fear of screwing up the skins if I didn't have it lined up right, but once I saw it seemed ok, I just went back after it with less worry now that I wont be scratching it by putting it on and off the dock!

I did however fail to pick up on the fact that it wasn't a real good idea to clam shell close the two of them together in the beginning - not real pretty trying to pull the two apart :eek:

jb9217a

Dec 30, 2011
Binghamton, NY
thanks for the response, I just meant it looked like part of the cutout is slightly under the docking holder thing...does your lock mechanism click all the way to the right or is it just halfway like mine?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda premium

regalpimpin

Jun 21, 2010
My switch was only going halfway the first few times i docked it.. Turns out, have to push harder.

I'm using the full back, and compatible screen.

Just try pushing it into the dock further to get the switch to click.

pinku1

Aug 22, 2010
Birmingham
I have full carbon fiber skin, i applied it on both tablet and dock.
Now my tablet wont fit into dock, it just fit from one side, and lock just go to walf way... so i sent email to skinomi with pics and i got this reply:
Thank you for sending us pictures of the issue. I will be forwarding this message to our design team, so they can review and make any necessary changes. I hope you enjoy your replacement when it arrives and have a great day.

Wordlywisewiz

Nov 25, 2011
Brattleboro
I have an issue where I originally had the skin on my dock... Now it appears to have stretched out the dock after I took the skin off before I sent it for repair!

It wobbles from side to side! Now I will have to put the protector back on or RMA my dock...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

slugbug2010

Oct 12, 2010
Austin, Tx
My switch was only going halfway the first few times i docked it.. Turns out, have to push harder.

I'm using the full back, and compatible screen.

Just try pushing it into the dock further to get the switch to click.

This was my experience as well.

I have the clear skin, full body. Knowing the only thing I could screw up was the skin (which they would replace because it shouldn't screw up), I just pushed harder.

I don't have any marks on the dock or skin from where they join, despite having to push the first few times. I see what you mean by it looking like the back skin might go under/further down the backside of the backplate and into the back of the dock, but it must not because I don't' have any marks there at all.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I installed the skinomi full body yesterday and also have the keyboard dock. The tablet fits into the dock fine; however, I there are marks left on the skin due to contact with the dock. Ultimately, the rub marks don't bother me----the skin is very smooth and nice to touch. Just waiting for skinomi to make a skin for the keyboard...
    Turns out for me, the problem was with the Skinomi screen protector. I noticed there were marks on the screen protector where it looked like it was catching. I pulled off the screen protector and it seems to fit better now. Sorry, I already yanked it off so I don't have pictures.
    i have the clear skin and the dock and have not had any issues with it. it was a tight fit with or without the skin. I have had it in and out a couple times and have not had any problems.