[GUIDE] How to keep sdcard format same after upgrading to 4.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Khizar

Feb 28, 2012
Notes-
1. Read all the steps before attempting this
2. I have used this method to successfully keep my sdcard in data/media even after flashing multiple 4.2 roms

Prerequisites-
1. Your bootloader must be unlocked, if it isnt unlock it before using the guide
2. Backup you internal storage because this will wipe it

Steps-
1. Using the toolkit flash the takju 4.2 google image
2. After you have completed the setup using your pc transfer your internal storage backup to data/media and if there is a 0/0 delete it
3. Now flash the latest twrp
4. Now flash any 4.2 rom of your choice and your sdcard will stay in data/media

D3VI0US

Nov 19, 2011
So what the point of flashing TWRP and not CWM ?
thanks btw for the guide

JonathanBarca10

Feb 1, 2012
San Bernardino
Is this really necessary though? You cant just move everything back to the original directory, then delete the new ones, then go into twrp and wipe everything and then flash a rom? Why do u need to return to factory image?

Im just trying to understand this better.

Khizar

Feb 28, 2012
Is this really necessary though? You cant just move everything back to the original directory, then delete the new ones, then go into twrp and wipe everything and then flash a rom? Why do u need to return to factory image?

from what i understand that will give you one "0" folder.. but you could try that and report back

JonathanBarca10

Feb 1, 2012
San Bernardino
haha i have to be the guinea pig? i guess...i will edit this post, i suppose once i can report my findings.

edit 1: well it seems there is also a /0 folder in the sdcard directory, not just under data/media. but i suppose thats not as much of a problem? i could probably just move those without much of a problem? i will report back...

edit 2: just gonna do it your way. when trying to move the data in the data/media/o file up, it wiped the data anyways...so. dont do that. lol

Last edited:

Khizar

Feb 28, 2012
Let me say that there is no point in doing those steps, as soon as possible the users get usual with the new format and first everything will back to normal

Inviato dal mio Galaxy Nexus con Tapatalk 2
no..as i have said in the op, i have flashed multiple 4.2 roms(i flashed 2 today) after following those steps and my sdcard stays in data/media no more "0" folder

andQlimax

Jul 29, 2010
Rome
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
no..as i have said in the op, i have flashed multiple 4.2 roms(i flashed 2 today) after following those steps and my sdcard stays in data/media no more "0" folder

Ya, but no point..u have to keep in mind that the sdcard is in /0 folder now...apps already read and write from there, and new recoveries read and write ( or will soon) from there also

Last edited:

Khizar

Feb 28, 2012
Ya, but no point..u have to keep in mind that the sdcard is in /0 folder now...apps already read and write from there, and new recoveries read and write ( or will soon) from there also

for you there no point.. there are others who are having issues with this new format even when using the latest twrp, so this is a choice if someone want to do it they can.. if not well i am not forcing anyone ;)

Khizar

Feb 28, 2012
haha i have to be the guinea pig? i guess...i will edit this post, i suppose once i can report my findings.

edit 1: well it seems there is also a /0 folder in the sdcard directory, not just under data/media. but i suppose thats not as much of a problem? i could probably just move those without much of a problem? i will report back...

edit 2: just gonna do it your way. when trying to move the data in the data/media/o file up, it wiped the data anyways...so. dont do that. lol
:good:

jay661972

Oct 19, 2010
San Diego CA
there will be an issue if you are coming from 4.2 then going back to 4.1.2 then 4.2 again, there's a folder that its hidden that you cant find it root explorer but you can see this if you go to cwm. but if you go back to 4.1.2 you will see the folder.

adrynalyne

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2008

Go use an old recovery and flash 5 roms please.

Then get back to me and tell me how much you like digging your data out of nested '0' folders.

NCguy

Jul 4, 2010
NC
So if you are transferring the entire contents of your internal SD from a previous version of android to a 4.2 phone which is the proper folder to copy all of the files? It seems that the only way that I can view them while plugged into the PC is from /sdcard?

So what is the function of

/sdcard
/data/media
/data/media/0

Where should my SD data be copied?????

andQlimax

Jul 29, 2010
Rome
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Go use an old recovery and flash 5 roms please.

Then get back to me and tell me how much you like digging your data out of nested '0' folders.

I never use a recovery until it work, I'm on stock 4.2 and everything is ok..I don't even notice the new /0 sdcard at first, when I opened solid explore, it already point there, and my files there..and apps works fine

I will not use any recovery until they get stable and put the backups inside the new sdcard format..that's it..simple as that

Also before starting flashing I want to use the stock ROM for some weeks...u can't judge a custom ROM without first know the benefit and the problems of the stock version.

That's my tough anyway ;)

Reactions: IAmReflex

adrynalyne

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2008
I never use a recovery until it work, I'm on stock 4.2 and everything is ok..I don't even notice the new /0 sdcard at first, when I opened solid explore, it already point there, and my files there..and apps works fine

I will not use any recovery until they get stable and put the backups inside the new sdcard format..that's it..simple as that

Also before starting flashing I want to use the stock ROM for some weeks...u can't judge a custom ROM without first know the benefit and the problems of the stock version.

That's my tough anyway ;)

...and they have. Hence the point of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Notes-
    1. Read all the steps before attempting this
    2. I have used this method to successfully keep my sdcard in data/media even after flashing multiple 4.2 roms

Prerequisites-
    1. Your bootloader must be unlocked, if it isnt unlock it before using the guide
    2. Backup you internal storage because this will wipe it

Steps-
    1. Using the toolkit flash the takju 4.2 google image
    2. After you have completed the setup using your pc transfer your internal storage backup to data/media and if there is a 0/0 delete it
    3. Now flash the latest twrp
    4. Now flash any 4.2 rom of your choice and your sdcard will stay in data/media
    Let me say that there is no point in doing those steps, as soon as possible the users get usual with the new format and first everything will back to normal

Okay at Step 2: using your pc transfer your internal storage backup to data/media and if there is a 0/0 delete it

I cannot find /data/media nor /data/media/0 using MTP :eek:

What am I missing?
    when connected in MTP.. the root = data/media and the "0" folder = data/media/0
    So what the point of flashing TWRP and not CWM ?
    thanks btw for the guide
    2 reason..
    1. i prefer twrp over cwm
    2. i have tried this on twrp and not cwm

from what i understand that will give you one "0" folder.. but you could try that and report back