Speck Candyshell vs. Otterbox Commuter

Search This thread

terrapin69

Aug 18, 2008
your thoughts? have narrowed it down to these 2 cases for the X - looking for "good enough" protection without adding a lot of bulk. I have heard the button covers on the Speck cases go "bad" after a while and that the Candyshell is super "slick" to hold - offering no grip...But I realize the OB Commuter adds a bit of bulk and Otterbox, as a company, can't be beat...

ideas? suggestions?

Jon C

Jul 17, 2010
Seattle
I've heard mixed results on the Speck. I wrote to them, asking if they planned to create a matte version of the case, and I was told that they had no plans.

The only case I've purchased (and hated) was the Trident Cyclops. I think I'm probably just going to get the Otterbox Commuter and be done with it. The trouble is, they're sort of hard to come by. Not sure why, exactly.

SupaSwag

Feb 13, 2012
I don't own these cases for the Moto X but I have used them at least once in the past. I'd say go for the commuter. Otterbox provides excellent customer service and make some quality cases. The candyshell is cool at first but the glossy finish does attract a lot of scratches and won't look that good after a while. It also has a durability issue you mentioned.

Coop9

Jul 15, 2010
I've heard mixed results on the Speck. I wrote to them, asking if they planned to create a matte version of the case, and I was told that they had no plans.

The only case I've purchased (and hated) was the Trident Cyclops. I think I'm probably just going to get the Otterbox Commuter and be done with it. The trouble is, they're sort of hard to come by. Not sure why, exactly.

Little local company called Amazon has them in stock. :)

Jon C

Jul 17, 2010
Seattle
Yes, finally. It's been a third-party markup item for the past few weeks. Sadly, it's still $1.52 short of free shipping. So silly. :/

Thanks for the heads up, though. I might just order from Otterbox directly to save a few bucks on shipping.

Coop9

Jul 15, 2010
Yes, finally. It's been a third-party markup item for the past few weeks. Sadly, it's still $1.52 short of free shipping. So silly. :/

Thanks for the heads up, though. I might just order from Otterbox directly to save a few bucks on shipping.

I forget that Amazon charges for shipping... Prime is the best thing ever.

Reactions: basotl

pkomarnicki

Mar 12, 2009
I could never get the Speck Candyshell I bought to fit right - the power button wouldn't line up and was constantly being held down and rebooting the phone. I also noticed that it attracted everything to it, like static cling or something, and almost immediately looked dirty. The slickness didn't bother me much, though I didn't use it for very long. I ended up getting the Commuter (off eBay, bundled with some knock-off cables I threw straight in the trash), like I should have in the first place, and the fit is wonderful. It's a bit bulkier than the Candyshell, but not obnoxiously so, and you can't beat their warranty and customer service.

Claris Chew

Jan 16, 2014
I have been using Speck Smartflex Card case for my iPhone 5.
It's good, protection is there considering the fact it's not very bulky, and I love the cards compartment!
I just recently bought a Otterbox Commuter case from mobijoystore.com, have yet to try out, but looks slightly bulkier than speck. :confused:

D

Darth

Yeah, the commuter is overly slippery for a case. The rubber is the inside layer, and the plastic outside. The plastic is slippery. I have one...Didn't mind it too bad. Really need a holster at work tho....so got a defender. It's the opposite...plastic on inside, rubber on outside...much better. Unless you want a holster and maximum protection tho, it's pretty bulky.

:)

Sent from my Moto X cellular telephone...

scoobaspeaz

Feb 24, 2012
Columbus, OH
Slippery? The commuter is fine. You guys make it sound like it's coated in oil. This case is very well put together and not slippery. Thin too. I use the pro shell case now but that is only cause I wanted a clear back case. Once spring comes that commuter is back on.. Outside activities demand that :)

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

basotl

Nov 30, 2010
Google Nexus 5
Google Pixel 3
I've used commuter cases on two other phones and was always impressed with the durability they provided. I actually prefer the rubber on the inside. Past rubber cases became too linty and were difficult to place in my pocket. The primary downside with the commuter is how much it will cover such a nice looking phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I forget that Amazon charges for shipping... Prime is the best thing ever.