G2x Getting ICS official :D

Search This thread

redmonke255

Jan 12, 2012
Fort Worth, Texas
I don't know why you guys are so pessimistic. They're the same phone, only different partitions. Do you really think they'll release a rom for one phone then say "Eh changing the partition table is too much work even after recreating all these drivers and framework. "?

I mean they could, but I really doubt it.

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA

psychoace

Apr 21, 2009
I don't know why you guys are so pessimistic. They're the same phone, only different partitions. Do you really think they'll release a rom for one phone then say "Eh changing the partition table is too much work even after recreating all these drivers and framework. "?

I mean they could, but I really doubt it.

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA

The problem is t-mobile and not lg. T-mobile has to install there own apps into the rom and do there own beta tests. That cost money which I'm betting t-mobile isn't willing to spend

Sent from my NookColor using xda premium

monte666

Jul 21, 2011
Ogden
It's pretty much all on tmobile for sure stupid bloat ware

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using xda premium

zoppp

Nov 17, 2011
Let's just encourage LG. With some encouragement they might do better. After all 2.3.4 was a really good update

Sent from my Handheld Portal Device

c00lkatz

Dec 6, 2008
I seriously doubt they would go through the trouble of releasing 2.3.4 GB and then release ICS same quarter. The rep never stated that ICS would be released 2nd quarter, they said "an update" will be released 2nd quarter. Well, that update is already here and it ain't ICS. With the G2x being end-of-life, we're lucky to have gotten that, not at the fault of LG but because T-Mobile isn't going to dish out extra money for a phone they no longer sell. They want you to buy the new stuff and renew your contract. It is doubtful that an official ICS update will be released for the T-Mobile G2x simply for this fact, though I guess not impossible. Once the O2X gets its update the developers will have all they need for a "complete and stable" ICS ROM. Who here is going to stick with a stock ROM anyway? Not many.

Last edited:

kwes1020

Apr 19, 2011
Port Arthur, Texas
Either way, even if they just release a P990 (O2X) version that's good enough. They release the source code here:
http://www.lg.com/global/support/opensource/opensource.jsp

When it's released, so the dev's can just modify what's needed from the O2X and make it work for the G2X (like they've done with other ROM's), so don't get your knickers in a knot!

That source is absolutely useless and big time incomplete. They have a lot of binaries and other files they intentionally leave out so it will not build.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

mt3g

Aug 14, 2009
Phoenix
Old news they've putting that link up for months, I'm thinking since November they've been telling people that.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

redmonke255

Jan 12, 2012
Fort Worth, Texas
The problem is t-mobile and not lg. T-mobile has to install there own apps into the rom and do there own beta tests. That cost money which I'm betting t-mobile isn't willing to spend

Sent from my NookColor using xda premium
What about the P999 on Wind? I don't own it, but as far as I know it doesn't have the T-Mobile stuff. If it's available for that you can easily put it on a G2x.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay, so let's say that the O2x does get ICS. What we are missing are the drivers. So how does the process of ripping the drivers work, are the drivers built into the ROM? I know the g2x and the O2x have different partitions.

Sent from my Handheld Portal Device

Actually, the partitions are the easy part of porting. The radio is the biggest challenge. I don't think anyone has ever managed to port any stock Froyo or Gingerbread O2X or G2X ROM between platforms without full source and actually be able to make phone calls. The radio is too different and is hardwired into the ROM.

That means that barring unforeseen changes, even an official O2X ICS version is not likely to be able to be ported directly to the G2X.

However, in CM9, the radio is not the problem on the G2X, which is good news. That means if an official O2X release provides the bits needed outside of the radio, we still get an improved G2X experience. But it will have to be CM9, no stock-based ports.
    Wind is never going to release anything.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    It has to be name of a dessert/candy starting with letter K as android names go by alphabetical order.

I like your pick though :D

That will be for sure Key Lime Pie ....uhmmm....keyyy limeee pieee :p :good: