[Q] Wedged SCH-I535

Search This thread

gs3-learning

Jan 13, 2014
Hi,

I just got my 4.3 update on the VZW SCH-I535 phone! Then I decided to try CM10.2 and didn't realize that my phone was re-locked because of the OTA update! Now my phone is stuck with the message "System software not authorized ..." To move past this issue, I have tried (and failed) the following:

- Tried to flash stock rom using ODIN (withSamsung-Updates.com-SCH-I535_VZW_1_20120705143513_fti2qg2lmf-stock-rom-4.0.3). It goes all the way through and I get a PASS! But after the phone reboots I get the "System error ... " again
- Tried to flash stock rom using ODIN with stock.vzw_root66.tar file and got the same result as above.
- I have also tried installing with Nand Erase All and Re-Partition checked, with PDA selected using the first rom, but I still get the same error
- I have read and tried some of the thread on this site with no luck either.

Any clue how I can get past this issue? Thanks for all your help in advance.

ShapesBlue

May 9, 2012
Hi,

I just got my 4.3 update on the VZW SCH-I535 phone! Then I decided to try CM10.2 and didn't realize that my phone was re-locked because of the OTA update! Now my phone is stuck with the message "System software not authorized ..." To move past this issue, I have tried (and failed) the following:

- Tried to flash stock rom using ODIN (withSamsung-Updates.com-SCH-I535_VZW_1_20120705143513_fti2qg2lmf-stock-rom-4.0.3). It goes all the way through and I get a PASS! But after the phone reboots I get the "System error ... " again
- Tried to flash stock rom using ODIN with stock.vzw_root66.tar file and got the same result as above.
- I have also tried installing with Nand Erase All and Re-Partition checked, with PDA selected using the first rom, but I still get the same error
- I have read and tried some of the thread on this site with no luck either.

Any clue how I can get past this issue? Thanks for all your help in advance.

Did you take the OTA?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

gs3-learning

Jan 13, 2014
Did you take the OTA?

Yup, I took the OTA. Didn't realize that it would un-root. I have tried various things at this point to get it back, but nothing has worked so far. Now when I try to use ODIN to do a CF-Auto-root, i see the "Secure Check Fail: recovery", at the Downloading screen. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Last edited:

ThePagel

Jul 6, 2012
Minneapolis
To my knowlage I am the only one hosting the tar file you need. Samsung updates doesn't have it because the file hasn't been officially released other than ota. If this dosnt work for you try flashing the pit file with the tar. It is one of the last replys in this thread. Ill be posting links in the op later http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2586319

gs3-learning

Jan 13, 2014
To my knowlage I am the only one hosting the tar file you need. Samsung updates doesn't have it because the file hasn't been officially released other than ota. If this dosnt work for you try flashing the pit file with the tar. It is one of the last replys in this thread. Ill be posting links in the op later http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2586319

Downloading it now. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks

ThePagel

Jul 6, 2012
Minneapolis
Worked! Thank you! I hope this post helps others in this situation as well. With 4.3 installed, does that mean I can't unlock the SIM at this point? I am trying to get ATT to work on this phone.

thanks once again!

Happy to help! I think the sim comes unlocked since a few ota's ago. you need to put in a code or something along that nature.

gs3-learning

Jan 13, 2014
Happy to help! I think the sim comes unlocked since a few ota's ago. you need to put in a code or something along that nature.

Turns out, after working with the ATT folks for a while, that the IMEI number that my phone has comes up incorrectly in their database. It shows up as a Samsung Tab. Checked with Samsung and my IMEI number is correct, so ATT will have to fix it on their end to get my phone to work correctly. I don't know why they make it so hard to migrate phones across service providers.

homeskool

Aug 11, 2012
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I've got my phone bugging to update but I haven't done it yet because I don't want to lose root. if I understand this right I can update and then re root with that download? or is there another method?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

twistedillutions

Mar 7, 2013
I've got my phone bugging to update but I haven't done it yet because I don't want to lose root. if I understand this right I can update and then re root with that download? or is there another method?

From my understanding u can root it and safetrap (I read not that stable) but you CANNOT flash a custom recovery nor Rom it will brick your ffone I j

ShapesBlue

May 9, 2012

The only working root method is currently saferoot if you take the OTA. Personally I wouldn't take it. I'd suggest keeping your unlocked bootloader in tact and running a custom 4.3 rom.

ThePagel

Jul 6, 2012
Minneapolis

You van root 4.3 after ota or that link, but if I was you I would try to use the ota first. If it works you will keep all installed apps and settings (but it might be buggy). If you follow that link you will loose current setup, apps and it will format internal sd (but it will be clean and hopefully bug free ). Make sure you are home with access to a pc before you try ota. If you changed to much of the workings of your phone the ota may not work or could even brick you. In that case you will need to use that link.

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

The only working root method is currently saferoot if you take the OTA. Personally I wouldn't take it. I'd suggest keeping your unlocked bootloader in tact and running a custom 4.3 rom.

Honestly I'm glad I took the ota on accident. The past few weeks my phone has worked without a hitch. Some people just do not need custom ROMs and I think I am one of them. I'm pretty sure everyone who complains about how 4.3 is buggy and a battery hog just needs to use Odin to get a clean fresh start. I am disappointed that I can't install cyanogen when I turn this into my mp3 player after I get a new phone but its not like tw is bad. It just has a few annoying things that I can change with root access.

twistedillutions

Mar 7, 2013
Off topic
I dnt hate tw ..I think is a good Rom in general .all that bloatware what got me to root and then lead to custom roms .like mention not everyone needs cuztom things.I do agree that a clean install of TW runs great .but I like options .and to each there own

ShapesBlue

May 9, 2012
You van root 4.3 after ota or that link, but if I was you I would try to use the ota first. If it works you will keep all installed apps and settings (but it might be buggy). If you follow that link you will loose current setup, apps and it will format internal sd (but it will be clean and hopefully bug free ). Make sure you are home with access to a pc before you try ota. If you changed to much of the workings of your phone the ota may not work or could even brick you. In that case you will need to use that link.

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

Honestly I'm glad I took the ota on accident. The past few weeks my phone has worked without a hitch. Some people just do not need custom ROMs and I think I am one of them. I'm pretty sure everyone who complains about how 4.3 is buggy and a battery hog just needs to use Odin to get a clean fresh start. I am disappointed that I can't install cyanogen when I turn this into my mp3 player after I get a new phone but its not like tw is bad. It just has a few annoying things that I can change with root access.

That's good. I've seen the OTA in action as my girl has it on her phone and she's complained about it every day since she took it. I've running wicked sensations 4.3 and it runs like a champ.

ThePagel

Jul 6, 2012
Minneapolis
That's good. I've seen the OTA in action as my girl has it on her phone and she's complained about it every day since she took it. I've running wicked sensations 4.3 and it runs like a champ.

OK I just installed safestrap and I kid you not the theme of wicked sensation made me swap back to my stock slot immediately. I'll use it all day tomorrow and tell you what differences I notice. Right off the bat it just looks like a ROM made from a recovery backup and customized with xposed. I can't wait for beans to make a 4.3 rom.

Reactions: buhohitr

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
OK I just installed safestrap and I kid you not the theme of wicked sensation made me swap back to my stock slot immediately. I'll use it all day tomorrow and tell you what differences I notice. Right off the bat it just looks like a ROM made from a recovery backup and customized with xposed. I can't wait for beans to make a 4.3 rom.

Haha that's funny, better you than me try!!:p

ShapesBlue

May 9, 2012

Seriously? They put a ton of work into theme on this rom. I've seen 4.3 stock and I'm not impressed. It's boring and pretty basic. Wicked is an awesome rom. I've run just about all of them. Beans rom isn't bad at all but I seemed to have a ton of issues with it

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
Seriously? They put a ton of work into theme on this rom. I've seen 4.3 stock and I'm not impressed. It's boring and pretty basic. Wicked is an awesome rom. I've run just about all of them. Beans rom isn't bad at all but I seemed to have a ton of issues with it

I like it, but it certainly doesn't have quite the same cleanliness as a good AOSP theme. It's all personal preference.

At least we know safestrap is working consistently.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: ShapesBlue

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I like it, but it certainly doesn't have quite the same cleanliness as a good AOSP theme. It's all personal preference.

At least we know safestrap is working consistently.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2