Is it possible at all with adb to factory reset kindle without factory cable?

Search This thread

slixz85

Jan 28, 2014
I believe I habe the kfsowi model. it is 11.3.1.0 it is rooted and I am wanting to factory reset it but I dont have a factory cable. just a normal usb cable that I've been using adb to transfer and even instlal some files because through tweaking it, it lead to a missing status bar in which i change the qmenu = to 0 and 1 or whatever in build.prop but no matter what it doesnt keep the status bar active at all times like it should be. it is non existent until i click on an app in apex, adw or any launcher ive tried then it flashes and disappears. during this flash it is not usable no matter how fast i click it.

also a small issue it has is ever reboot, it says kindle is upgrading but it is not upgrading at all because i have tried to click check now in settings to check for updates but every time it says update failed. next after that message it says starting applications for about 20 seconds. long bootup. i have probably messed with tweak i shouldnt have with pimp my rom and also android tweaker 2 and pro before it became 2. so the status bar is non existent. sucks cause cant even get facebook notifications lol.

i did factory reset it by the menu and also by using andromizer app to click recovery mode and do it that way.

(without status bar i been using all in one gestures but now recently i switched to using LMT.

this kindle has a few issues since i made it kinda as minimal as i could and probably uninstalled a couple things i shouldnt of lol like it only installs apps with adb install and adb install -r sometimes as well as through 1mobile market which is awesome. it will not sideload anything now because through uninstalling an extra deal or two i should of, it wont allow me to enable unknown sources installation through menus. if anyone knows a way to do this through terminal of linux that would be great

thanks to any help

slixz85

Jan 28, 2014
or would there be any way to use the water beta without the cable and only using adb or any other steps. which to my understanding is the only rom so far. thanks

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
If you are rooted You should I think be able to run these commands from a terminal in Linux, if you meant a terminal on your kindle then take off the and shell in the commands I list to run.
Code:
adb shell
su
reboot bootloader
I think if you are rooted it will kick it into fastboot and you can restore without a cable.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk

slixz85

Jan 28, 2014
thanks for the quick reply. yeah i am speaking of terminal from debian/ubuntu. I enter those commands you give me and it is recognizing the device. With adb I can even push files to install since it is screwed up and I can't access the menu part for installing from unknown sources. that is the worst part of the few issues I have with it.

after I enter those commands it only reboots normally. it doesn't go into the bootloader. I can get it to go into recovery mode where I am able to just do a normal wipe of the device but that is about it.

just to make sure I understand this. with a fastboot cable and all it is a different method from just a normal "wipe and reset" isn't it? it is using an untouched .img or something to put back to actual FACTORY as if bought from store? cause the normal wipe and factory reset doesn't put back the items I uninstalled of course from system and what not.

also is this safe to do without a factory cable. I just haven't ever needed one before and even if there is an extra step or two I don't mind instead of waiting a week for a cable.

Last edited:

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Actually you might not even need the fastboot cable, if I remember correctly the restore method for that device would normally flash a system image that is smaller and incomplete because the system IMG is to big for fastboots 's buffer, then when it was just bootable enough to have adb push a file, it would push a amazon update file and run a command that forces the system partition to update back to stock from the update zip. So you should be able to simply push the update file for your amazon os version or older/newer and force update it. I don't have instructions handy right now for doing this and its late so maybe I post them tomorrow.

Sent from my Amazon Tate using Tapatalk

slixz85

Jan 28, 2014
Actually you might not even need the fastboot cable, if I remember correctly the restore method for that device would normally flash a system image that is smaller and incomplete because the system IMG is to big for fastboots 's buffer, then when it was just bootable enough to have adb push a file, it would push a amazon update file and run a command that forces the system partition to update back to stock from the update zip. So you should be able to simply push the update file for your amazon os version or older/newer and force update it. I don't have instructions handy right now for doing this and its late so maybe I post them tomorrow.

Sent from my Amazon Tate using Tapatalk

if you could do that that'd be awesome. thanks. I just read up about a locked bootloader but I've seen it's made some progress. I just need to be sure to not turn it into a drink coaster lol.

slixz85

Jan 28, 2014
I finally found a way to do factory reset thanks to gran pc

How to reinstall FireOS

Botched your /system partition beyond recognition? Everything is broken? Dropped your #Kindle in a sea of piss and need to RMA it? Fear not! You can just reinstall FireOS and get it looking just as if we had never touched it!

First of all, you'll have to root your tablet. I'm assuming you know how to do this!

Once that's done, put this file -- https://s3.amazonaws.com/kindle-fire-updates/update-kindle-11.3.1.0_user_310084920.bin -- in /sdcard/ (you can use adb push).

Then run these commands:

jesunoiMac:multidownload granpc$ adb shell
shell@android:/$ su -
root@android:/# cp /sdcard/update-kindle-11.3.1.0_user_310084920.bin /cache/update.zip
root@android:/# echo --update_package=/cache/update.zip > /cache/recovery/command
root@android:/# exit
shell@android:/$ exit
jesunoiMac:multidownload granpc$ adb reboot recovery

If everything went well, you should see the 'installing update' screen -- and once you're booted, we're back to stock! We did it!!!!!!
s3.amazonaws.com/kindle-fire-updates/update-kindle-11.3.1.0_user_310084920.bin

funny thing is I rerooted after the clean update and forgot all about OTA's being automatic of course. The damn thing upgraded to 11.3.2.2 which I searched has NO root exploit right now. I am wondering if I can do the same above steps to go back to 11.3.1 but that is a downgrade and I am worried about a brick although amazon new update is like an iphone you can't tell any difference haha

also is the above way how you install ICE or hellfire?

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
I finally found a way to do factory reset thanks to gran pc

How to reinstall FireOS

Botched your /system partition beyond recognition? Everything is broken? Dropped your #Kindle in a sea of piss and need to RMA it? Fear not! You can just reinstall FireOS and get it looking just as if we had never touched it!

First of all, you'll have to root your tablet. I'm assuming you know how to do this!

Once that's done, put this file -- https://s3.amazonaws.com/kindle-fire-updates/update-kindle-11.3.1.0_user_310084920.bin -- in /sdcard/ (you can use adb push).

Then run these commands:

jesunoiMac:multidownload granpc$ adb shell
shell@android:/$ su -
root@android:/# cp /sdcard/update-kindle-11.3.1.0_user_310084920.bin /cache/update.zip
root@android:/# echo --update_package=/cache/update.zip > /cache/recovery/command
root@android:/# exit
shell@android:/$ exit
jesunoiMac:multidownload granpc$ adb reboot recovery

If everything went well, you should see the 'installing update' screen -- and once you're booted, we're back to stock! We did it!!!!!!
s3.amazonaws.com/kindle-fire-updates/update-kindle-11.3.1.0_user_310084920.bin

funny thing is I rerooted after the clean update and forgot all about OTA's being automatic of course. The damn thing upgraded to 11.3.2.2 which I searched has NO root exploit right now. I am wondering if I can do the same above steps to go back to 11.3.1 but that is a downgrade and I am worried about a brick although amazon new update is like an iphone you can't tell any difference haha

also is the above way how you install ICE or hellfire?

ah good you found it before i could look it up. It will downgrade just fine, but you will probably need a fastboot cable to do it. If ICE or hellfire are roms then no, the 2013 isn't flashable with the exception of kindlewater. Since the bootloader is locked we are limited to using amazon's bootimg(kernel+intram fs).

slixz85

Jan 28, 2014
ah good you found it before i could look it up. It will downgrade just fine, but you will probably need a fastboot cable to do it. If ICE or hellfire are roms then no, the 2013 isn't flashable with the exception of kindlewater. Since the bootloader is locked we are limited to using amazon's bootimg(kernel+intram fs).

ok sounds like I need to find out if putting water on this without a fastboot cable is possible then