[Q] Battery Problens!!

Search This thread

NexusS4gFreak

Sep 13, 2011
Riverdale,GA
Ive had my htc one x for maybe 5-6 months which is almost the longest ive ever been on one phone and i love(d) it, but its always been doing something very strange and aggravating that seems to be getting worse. Battery drain has always been a problem for me with this phone but ehh i can deal with it, but once my phone gets down to about 14% which is does often because of the draining it starts acting real funny with its power and sometimes goes from 14 down to 5 in an instant literally out of no where and as soon as i plug up itll go right back to 13, or itll shut down entirely at 14% but i can just cut it back on, or itll shut down in the middle of me doing something and i have to charge it for about 5-10 minutes before itll even come back on. The latter happened last night btw. No matter what combination of roms/kernels i try this always seems to be a problem. I really cant deal with this anymore and its to the point where i wanna throw my phone into a wall and just buy another one, which im seriously thinking about doing at this point. If such thing has happened to anyone before or you have insight on this can you please help before i just give up hope completely. :mad::confused::(:rolleyes:

KungFuCracka94

Oct 28, 2013
San Fernando Valley
What you have described is normal for our device. Remember that the battery percentage is just an estimate of your actual charge. In addition, you find your phone shutting off around the lower percentages as a result of the device attempting to prevent damage to the battery. That is what the HOXl was designed to do.

Sent from my One X using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

NexusS4gFreak

Sep 13, 2011
Riverdale,GA
What you have described is normal for our device. Remember that the battery percentage is just an estimate of your actual charge. In addition, you find your phone shutting off around the lower percentages as a result of the device attempting to prevent damage to the battery. That is what the HOXl was designed to do.

Last night when it did it, as it has before, i was still on 21%.... thats not normal. And this isnt my first android nor first htc, never happened before. Even on my aunts old one s it didnt happen

KungFuCracka94

Oct 28, 2013
San Fernando Valley
Do you allow full charges after these "forced shutdowns" occur? This should cause your battery to recalibrate.

Last edited:

Madcat8686

Nov 9, 2013
Konoha
HTC One (M8)
Google Pixel 2
Last night when it did it, as it has before, i was still on 21%.... thats not normal. And this isnt my first android nor first htc, never happened before. Even on my aunts old one s it didnt happen

The battery behavior on this phone has been interesting. I have the battery last over two weeks on airplane mode and I've had the battery last just a couple of hours with just a stock setup. There are so many factors that play into this. I work in an area with very little to no signal reception and my battery life goes crazy and the phone can get really hot while I'm there so I've seen the best and worst.

What I do to counteract this bad behavior:
1. Charge prior to 40% (I've had the phone go from 40% to zero instantly before)
2. Consider your signal reception and either try out different radios or use airplane mode to reduce erratic battery drain
3. Install a 3rd party app like batterycalibration (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nema.batterycalibration&hl=en) and use that when things get hairy (I calibrate every two weeks or so and that does the trick for me.

My phone has been like this since I pulled it out of the box. With a little management, it is just fine. You have seen it before but I'll say it again, you have to get through a few charge cycles when flashing a new Rom to get back to normal.

Hope this helps. It works for me and I work in a cell phone reception hell.

DESERT.TECH

May 30, 2012
Ive had my htc one x for maybe 5-6 months which is almost the longest ive ever been on one phone and i love(d) it, but its always been doing something very strange and aggravating that seems to be getting worse. Battery drain has always been a problem for me with this phone but ehh i can deal with it, but once my phone gets down to about 14% which is does often because of the draining it starts acting real funny with its power and sometimes goes from 14 down to 5 in an instant literally out of no where and as soon as i plug up itll go right back to 13, or itll shut down entirely at 14% but i can just cut it back on, or itll shut down in the middle of me doing something and i have to charge it for about 5-10 minutes before itll even come back on. The latter happened last night btw. No matter what combination of roms/kernels i try this always seems to be a problem. I really cant deal with this anymore and its to the point where i wanna throw my phone into a wall and just buy another one, which im seriously thinking about doing at this point. If such thing has happened to anyone before or you have insight on this can you please help before i just give up hope completely. :mad::confused::(:rolleyes:

When a new ROM or kernel is flashed you need to let battery settle for at least 48hrs before you get super worried about battery. If possible during that time let device fully discharge then charge up to 100. Please use a battery monitoring app and then see what's causing the issues. With proper config hoxl will get good battery life. There is always the chance its hardware issue but doubtful as battery prolly would of completely failed by now. Also check your screen brightness settings. Hope this helps

Senseless Power Unlocked

DESERT.TECH

May 30, 2012
For example

Senseless Power Unlocked

Attachments

• 1390647731195.jpg
    1390647731195.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 41

NexusS4gFreak

Sep 13, 2011
Riverdale,GA
The battery behavior on this phone has been interesting. I have the battery last over two weeks on airplane mode and I've had the battery last just a couple of hours with just a stock setup. There are so many factors that play into this. I work in an area with very little to no signal reception and my battery life goes crazy and the phone can get really hot while I'm there so I've seen the best and worst.

What I do to counteract this bad behavior:
1. Charge prior to 40% (I've had the phone go from 40% to zero instantly before)
2. Consider your signal reception and either try out different radios or use airplane mode to reduce erratic battery drain
3. Install a 3rd party app like batterycalibration (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nema.batterycalibration&hl=en) and use that when things get hairy (I calibrate every two weeks or so and that does the trick for me.

My phone has been like this since I pulled it out of the box. With a little management, it is just fine. You have seen it before but I'll say it again, you have to get through a few charge cycles when flashing a new Rom to get back to normal.

Hope this helps. It works for me and I work in a cell phone reception hell.
Ive done all three methods youve mentioned before and still same thing. Also im on 3/4 bars with lte 90% of the time so no reception issues here. And with my current setup ive been running it for about 2 weeks.

NexusS4gFreak

Sep 13, 2011
Riverdale,GA
When a new ROM or kernel is flashed you need to let battery settle for at least 48hrs before you get super worried about battery. If possible during that time let device fully discharge then charge up to 100. Please use a battery monitoring app and then see what's causing the issues. With proper config hoxl will get good battery life. There is always the chance its hardware issue but doubtful as battery prolly would of completely failed by now. Also check your screen brightness settings. Hope this helps

Senseless Power Unlocked
Ive always let the rom settle in and i constantly maintain the brightness on around mid level (mirror screen protector so i cant go too low) but its not just one rom or a few, its with every rom i flash ad that consists of most roms available for this device

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
The battery behaviour you described is completely normal if you understand how a battery of this type works, and if you understand how the software (especially the display of battery percentage) works in conjunction with it.

Sent from my Evita

NexusS4gFreak

Sep 13, 2011
Riverdale,GA
The battery behaviour you described is completely normal if you understand how a battery of this type works, and if you understand how the software (especially the display of battery percentage) works in conjunction with it.

Sent from my Evita
So youre telling me having the phone get to 22% and instantly drop to zero and power down is normal? Makes no sense at all. Also i cant get it to charge too 100% for anything. So if theres no fix to this, anybody want a one x with a troublesome battery?

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
What I'm saying is the battery percentage displayed by the software is never exact, it's only an estimate based on the voltage level of your battery. Your battery sounds like its long term life (capacity) has been decreased over time and possibly bad treatment (allowing the device to discharge too much too many times).

Sent from my Evita

Reactions: Z1cK

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
So youre telling me having the phone get to 22% and instantly drop to zero and power down is normal? Makes no sense at all.

Depends on what you define as "normal". Such behavior is certainly not unheard of (although you particular collection of symptoms may point to a more serious issue, which I'll get to later). Couple things you have to remember: the battery meter is far from accurate. Being off by 10% or more is not unusual (completely normal). So jumping from 5 to 13% as you mentioned is not out of the question. The battery voltage is not actually jumping around, just the % battery number that the phone is assigning to various voltage readings. Reading errors happen, and if a jump is noticed, its just the meter correcting itself.

Which brings us to the other point that should be kept in mind: the battery % is not a "real" measurement. Its just a number assigned to various voltages to give the average person a sense of how much battery is left. Its a completely fabricated and artificial measure that just gives some relative sense of when a user should charge their battery. Phone makers just decided to use a system that average people would understand, like the fuel gauge on a car. Zero doesn't really mean zero (or anywhere close), but reporting in voltages would make no sense for most folks. Also, as we all well know, just because (for example) it took you 12 hours to drain the phone to 50%, does not necessarily mean the phone will last another 12 hours to drain the remaining 50%. It all depends on what you are doing with the phone during that time. Which leaves the question: What does the % battery really mean? Really, not a heck of a lot.

On the other hand, the battery failing to charge to 100% is troublesome, as is the apparent frequency of the meter drops and the fact that the issue remains after various ROM flashes. Leads me to believe there may be some hardware issue going on.

The short answer: IMO while some of the individual symptoms are not unusual, the seeming frequency (you haven't exactly quantified this, but it seems relative frequent just based on your descriptions) may suggest a larger issue, but its not certain.

Last edited:

NexusS4gFreak

Sep 13, 2011
Riverdale,GA
Thanks it explained a lot but it happened again today, went to the store with ~36% on the meter and walked out, haven't touched it at all, phone was completely dead. Tried to charge and it went to 6% and stopped charging, all signs showed it was charging but it was stuck on 6. Then it started climbing again and reached about 16% and actually started losing charge while on the charger. Switched over to my portable battery charger i just got and it held the charge at about 5% for ~30 minutes, which is what it was when i plugged it in and started to charge, then it stopped againand during the whole process the phone was getting very hot. Yea im getting a new phone :/

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What I'm saying is the battery percentage displayed by the software is never exact, it's only an estimate based on the voltage level of your battery. Your battery sounds like its long term life (capacity) has been decreased over time and possibly bad treatment (allowing the device to discharge too much too many times).

Sent from my Evita