[Q] Upgrading/Downgrading Unlocked MAXX

Search This thread

runner1717

Sep 7, 2010
Just unlocked the bootloader on my MAXX and installed TWRP/Root. I haven't tried upgrading or downgrading versions yet. I'm hoping someone can give me some insight to doing this.

My MAXX is still on 4.2.2(Jellybean) cause I didn't want to risk losing root when my bootloader was locked. Now that that's a non-issue can someone answer these question?

1) Since I'm still on 4.2.2 can I take the 4.4 OTA update even with TWRP installed?

2) If I can't take the update, then I would have to RSD up to 4.4?

3) Once on 4.4 can I go back to 4.2.2 (jellybean)? Seems I've read you can but you can't downgrade the bootloader or a bin file?

I've read differing opinions when it come to this and would like to try 4.4, even though it sounds pretty buggy (email active display, home button double, battery life, etc.) but I'd like to be able to go back if I didn't like it. I've seen a lot of people regretting that they went to KitKat because of these issues.

Thanks,

Mike

BladeRunner

Jan 15, 2012
Just unlocked the bootloader on my MAXX and installed TWRP/Root. I haven't tried upgrading or downgrading versions yet. I'm hoping someone can give me some insight to doing this.

My MAXX is still on 4.2.2(Jellybean) cause I didn't want to risk losing root when my bootloader was locked. Now that that's a non-issue can someone answer these question?

1) Since I'm still on 4.2.2 can I take the 4.4 OTA update even with TWRP installed?

3) Once on 4.4 can I go back to 4.2.2 (jellybean)? Seems I've read you can but you can't downgrade the bootloader or a bin file?

I've read differing opinions when it come to this and would like to try 4.4, even though it sounds pretty buggy (email active display, home button double, battery life, etc.) but I'd like to be able to go back if I didn't like it. I've seen a lot of people regretting that they went to KitKat because of these issues.

Thanks,

Mike

1) no, you need to be completely stock with stock recovery

2) RSD is an option

3) you can "downgrade" from 4.4 to 4.2.2 by flashing all the files except the motoboot.img and the gpt.bin. just don't downgrade to the pre-camera update (12.7.7) and then take an OTA because you will hard brick

italysfinest327

Dec 13, 2009
I also had a similar question. I unlocked the bootloader and am on 4.4 stock rom. If i want to relock the bootloader and return to stock 4.4 without root can i just rsd lite using the 4.4 fxz? Hoping that brings the recovery to stock as well, in case there are future otas

BladeRunner

Jan 15, 2012
An fxz will bring you back to stock and you are ready ri take an ota but it does not relock the bootloader

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

BladeRunner

Jan 15, 2012
Thanks for the fast response, will the fxz restore stock recovery and unroot the deivce? Can i relock my bootloader if i wanted to in future?

Yes, a full fxz will restore the stock recovery and unroot you. You can relock just not sure why you would want to plus it will always show that the device as status code 2 which means it has been unlocked at some point

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

AreOh

Oct 19, 2010
Those that unlocked and rooted, could you post your steps please?

Sent from my XT1080 using xda app-developers app

rekids

Can we run the 4.4.2 firmware (Topsnakes ported from X) on our maxx with 4.2.2 gpt and bootloader and motoboot? I know we can go backwards but not sure if you can go newer software and older boot and so forth.

Thanks

1080xt root 12.15.15

runner1717

Sep 7, 2010
Since I'm still on 4.2.2 should I just leave my bootloader and the bin file alone and just upgrade the rest to kit Kat? Can I do that?

Mike

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks,

Mike

1) no, you need to be completely stock with stock recovery

2) RSD is an option

3) you can "downgrade" from 4.4 to 4.2.2 by flashing all the files except the motoboot.img and the gpt.bin. just don't downgrade to the pre-camera update (12.7.7) and then take an OTA because you will hard brick