[Q] I9505 cannot go to recovery mode

Search This thread

zhuf

Jan 5, 2014
Hi,

A friend has some trouble with his Galaxy S4 I9505 and we're trying to fix it.

Here is the story:
- That phone got a bit of salty water inside while at the beach. Right after that, my friend pulled out the battery and waited for it to dry. Then, he tried to start it but nothing happened. The screen remained black. He took the phone to Samsung Service Center and they quoted a higher price than a new S4 for the repair... Obviously, my friend said no and took the broken phone with him...

Then, we opened it and cleaned the salt out of the mother board and everywhere else. We let it dry, put the battery in and power it on. Yeah, we get the boot logo! But that's all :( The phone just displays that....

- We try to go to recovery mode (Vol Up + Power) but we stick to the boot logo with "Recovery booting" in blue at the top. We can't get to recovery mode...
- We try to go to download mode (Vol Down + Power) and it works :) After googling around, people with similar problems at boot are advised to load a stock ROM with Odin.
- Let's do it, we get a ROM called I9505XXUEML1_I9505OLBEML1_I9505XXUEML1_HOME.tar.md5 and we flash it with Odin. Odin says "pass" and we reboot the phone to go to recovery mode. Same problem, the phone displays the logo with "Recovery booting" at the top and that's it :(
- Then, we flash the ROM again and provide also a PIT file. Odin says "pass" but the result is the same...
- Last attempt: we flash the PIT files first (get "Pass") and flash the ROM after that (get "Pass" again) but we still have the same behaviour.

Now, the phone shows "recovery booting" even if we try to start it normally (without holding Vol Up).

We are stuck here with no ideas.... Is the motherboard dead? It's really frustrating to see the download mode and flashing work perfectly but we can't boot up...

Any idea is welcome :)
Thanks!

Note: That phone was not rooted or anything before. My friend is a normal user who doesn't play around with custom ROMs.

MistahBungle

Nov 7, 2011
Geelong AU
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
You can keep flashing stock roms, sometimes these issues are fixed by perseverance (you'll flash 8 & for whatever reason it works on the 9th, etc). Could be something else hardware-wise causing the problems given the exposure to saltwater, most likely fix in that case is a motherboard replacement. It's not a case of the motherboard being 'dead', or the phone wouldn't boot at all, but let's face it, saltwater is incredibly corrosive, and it only takes a very brief exposure to cause permanent damage. Best bet is to take it to a local mobile repair shop (will be cheaper than a Samsung service centre most likely) & have them diagnose.

Joku1981

Jun 4, 2012
You can keep flashing stock roms, sometimes these issues are fixed by perseverance (you'll flash 8 & for whatever reason it works on the 9th, etc). Could be something else hardware-wise causing the problems given the exposure to saltwater, most likely fix in that case is a motherboard replacement. It's not a case of the motherboard being 'dead', or the phone wouldn't boot at all, but let's face it, saltwater is incredibly corrosive, and it only takes a very brief exposure to cause permanent damage. Best bet is to take it to a local mobile repair shop (will be cheaper than a Samsung service centre most likely) & have them diagnose.

+1

zhuf

Jan 5, 2014
Many thanks for your replies!

As suggested, we'll try first to flash the stock rom several times and see if we get lucky.

We'll keep you posted.