[Q] Note3 N9005 - is the Plastic Rim Around the Phone Replaceble?

Search This thread

NazzyJ

Mar 6, 2014
I recently bought a Note 3 N9005. The Phone is awesome and have been functioning very well, except the Battery drain when playing games on it but I can live with that.

Couple of days back the phone accidentally slipped from my Hand and fell on the Ground :(. When i picked it up the upper right corner of the phone was chipped :( and i saw that the Metallic Looking rim for Note 3 is not actually metal but Metal like looking plastic :eek:. Now i am left with a Amazing phone with a very sore look. Every time i look at the phone i first look at that chip which makes me very upset :(

Can anyone please let me know is there any way I can replace the Metal Rim? Is the Metal Rim attached to the LCD Screen? Will I be able to purchase the Metal Rim and replace it with mine?

Pleaseee let me know as that chipped part on my phone is bothering me very much and I have searched the Internet for answers but did not find any. I hope to find them here.

Thanks in Advance.

Last edited:

vap_66

Jun 12, 2011
I don't know about replacing the original part, but a surely cheaper and easier way would be to buy and use a metal bumper. Cheap, easy to install, real metal. There were some threads about it in the Note 3 Accessories subforum.

Reactions: NazzyJ

SquirtingCherry

Account currently disabled
Jul 18, 2010
https://t.me/pump_upp
t.me
The plasic metal looking rim is part of the screen's frame, you can only replace it if you replace the whole screen.

So i think it's best if you leave it like that or you must have a pretty big wallet you want to empt, new screen is like $250 a least.

trask

Jun 5, 2008
Krakow
I dont know how hardcore technicians live in ur part of the world but there in Poland replacing S4 frame is pretty much doable so its possible also with note3. Price should be under $100.

NazzyJ

Mar 6, 2014
Thanks for the response guys...I was hoping to hear a different answer :( guess i just have to live with that or change to another phone. Thanks for the help. btw i am from India.

denski101

Jan 7, 2014
What timing! I've only just chipped the frame aswell?. I've maybe dropped my phone 5 times(3 on tile & 2 on lino) and luckly each time, it has fallen screen up.
TBH replacing the whole frame was my last consideration. At first I wanted to paint it, but now I'm just going to get a cover. I'll post a pic of the chip when I get the time. Mine's on the Faux metal rim and not the glass. How bad is yours? Maybe post a pic?
In the end it doesn't matter how little it is, it still drives you nuts?. Take a look at the accessories thread and you'll see most, if not all, of the cases cover the rim around the front. This is would be the easiest solution in my mind.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

NazzyJ

Mar 6, 2014
What timing! I've only just chipped the frame aswell?. I've maybe dropped my phone 5 times(3 on tile & 2 on lino) and luckly each time, it has fallen screen up.
TBH replacing the whole frame was my last consideration. At first I wanted to paint it, but now I'm just going to get a cover. I'll post a pic of the chip when I get the time. Mine's on the Faux metal rim and not the glass. How bad is yours? Maybe post a pic?
In the end it doesn't matter how little it is, it still drives you nuts?. Take a look at the accessories thread and you'll see most, if not all, of the cases cover the rim around the front. This is would be the easiest solution in my mind.

Yeah, i think i will have to consider the Metal bumper for now to cover up that Chip. its driving me crazy every time i look at my phone. yes, I have used iPhone 4 in the past and i have dropped it several times but had no visible scratches on the phone. But I dropped my Note3 once and Boom!! Scar for life :crying: attaching the picture...:(

Attachments

• IMG_20140306_033821.jpg
    IMG_20140306_033821.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 1,858

Pat.

Oct 9, 2012
In your situation I would mask the screen very accurately at that corner use epoxy glue to build the missing area up (as epoxy dries it can be shaped & cut to shape with a razor blade) finalise the shape BEFORE its fully cured then allow to cure for a day then paint with cosmetic nail paint close to chrome as you can.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using xda app-developers app

denski101

Jan 7, 2014
Yeah, i think i will have to consider the Metal bumper for now to cover up that Chip. its driving me crazy every time i look at my phone. yes, I have used iPhone 4 in the past and i have dropped it several times but had no visible scratches on the phone. But I dropped my Note3 once and Boom!! Scar for life :crying: attaching the picture...:(

Arghhhh!!? Not to add insult to injury, but that is a shocker. You need a case ASAP! I feel embarrassed complaining about mine. Here's my damage report:
a7a5a4ah.jpg

ubenu2e3.jpg

NazzyJ

Mar 6, 2014
Arghhhh!!? Not to add insult to injury, but that is a shocker. You need a case ASAP! I feel embarrassed complaining about mine. Here's my damage report:

I was using a S-View Cover when the phone fell...I thought my phone should be safe but when i picked it up I saw the top right end of the phone was chipped. Threw the S-View Cover away, Will be buying some nice Cases/ bumpers for the phone this weekend.

NazzyJ

Mar 6, 2014
In your situation I would mask the screen very accurately at that corner use epoxy glue to build the missing area up (as epoxy dries it can be shaped & cut to shape with a razor blade) finalise the shape BEFORE its fully cured then allow to cure for a day then paint with cosmetic nail paint close to chrome as you can.

Thanks Pat, I will try it this weekend and will update it here. Hopefully everything goes well maybe i'll attach some pictures as well. :)

Pat.

Oct 9, 2012
Don't forget to mask the rest of the phone while doing it as Epoxy can easily get on things I've noticed & is very hard to remove.

I put a larger than needed blob on & then don't start cutting to shape until it's the consistency of toffee.
Use the the blade in a sawing action.
Good luck.

NazzyJ

Mar 6, 2014
Don't forget to mask the rest of the phone while doing it as Epoxy can easily get on things I've noticed & is very hard to remove.

I put a larger than needed blob on & then don't start cutting to shape until it's the consistency of toffee.
Use the the blade in a sawing action.
Good luck.

How much time should I give it until i cut it into shape? Thanks Again.

Pat.

Oct 9, 2012
It is an expensive device so because different makes/types of glue dry at different speeds the trick is to do a test run with the glue in the same environment as you will be doing the repair & monitor/time the glue to see how long the "window" for manipulation of it.
Araldite is good & for a rough idea it may be from about 20mins after applying to an hour. But do a test run. (Buy good glue, i tried some pound shop epoxy last year & it was worse than useless).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't know about replacing the original part, but a surely cheaper and easier way would be to buy and use a metal bumper. Cheap, easy to install, real metal. There were some threads about it in the Note 3 Accessories subforum.
    The plasic metal looking rim is part of the screen's frame, you can only replace it if you replace the whole screen.

So i think it's best if you leave it like that or you must have a pretty big wallet you want to empt, new screen is like $250 a least.
    I dont know how hardcore technicians live in ur part of the world but there in Poland replacing S4 frame is pretty much doable so its possible also with note3. Price should be under $100.