[GUIDE][HOW-TO][T/TX/V]Root Guide On Android 4.3 For Locked Bootloaders

Search This thread

matt4321

Retired Senior Moderator - The Real Matt
Dec 20, 2011
Reading, UK
IMPORTANT:

This method is now obsolete and not needed, we are able to root directly onto 4.3 now thanks to geohot, please see towelroot thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2783157

OLD METHOD:
I see many threads about rooting Android 4.3, especially with locked bootloaders, along with many users getting confused about it so decided to make this guide on how to get root on your Android 4.3 device

Unfortunately there is no method to root directly on the Xperia T/TL/TX/V with Android 4.3, we must downgrade first!

Step 1, Getting flashtool installed:

You need to download flashtool and install the latest drivers, this can all be found here and here

Step 2, Getting your device running Android 4.1.2 which is rootable!:

You need to download a 4.1.2 FTF file, I recommend using this one if you are an Xperia T user,

Use this one if you are an Xperia V user.

Use this one if you are an Xperia TX user

although any will do as long as has a build number earlier than 9.1.A.1.141

Next what you need to do is open up flashtool which you installed in Step 1. Next click on the lightning bolt button which is the flash button, flashmode should be selected by default, click OK!

Now you are in the firmware selection area, navigate to where you downloaded the FTF file using the browse button in the top right.

Select the correct firmware, then click OK!

It'll process a bit, then will tell you to connect your device, firstly put your cable into the computer/laptop first, then hold down the volume down button on your device and connect the micro USB part to the device.

If all goes well it will start flashing, finish and tell you to restart the phone, the process could easily take 15 minutes, so be patient.

Step 3, Lets root the device:

Try rooting with the root option within FlashTool

Should that not work try this:

You want to download bin4rys rooting toolkit, which is found here and here

This part you will be walked through in the command prompt of the toolkit, it will tell you what to do and when, it is very simple!

Step 4, Now we're rooted, we want a recovery:

Now we need to get CWM recovery for locked bootloaders installed!

Download CWM installer here

Next extract the folder to somewhere on your computer, connect your phone to the computer, remember to allow unknown sources to be installed and to allow usb debugging, these can be found in 'security' and 'developer options' respectively.

Once done, double click on 'install.bat' and let the installer do it's magic.

If you have issues with this step, take a look at the 'Unable to enter recovery' section in the CWM for locked bootloaders thread here

Step 5, Download a rooted 4.3 update:

If you are an Xperia T user download from here

If you are an Xperia V user download from here

If you are an Xperia TX user download from here

Now transfer the package to the SD card on your device.

Next you want to power off your device, once that is done power back on, when you hit the first vibrate you should see a blue led, start repeatedly pressing the volume up button, the led should turn green and you will enter into CWM recovery.

RECOMMENDED: Now you are in recovery you should do a complete wipe data/factory reset, now this can be skipped but if it leads to errors and problems then you may need to go back to step 1, you have been warned!

Head to install zip from SD card and locate to where you downloaded the file, then flash the file!

Step 6, Enjoy:

You should now be all up to date with Android 4.3 and have root access, feel free to comment and ask questions in the thread if you are having problems or things didn't work as they should.

You also now should have PhilZ Touch Recovery installed which will allow you to install mods, make backups etc. To enter it is the exact same procedure as for CWM earlier on!

I hope this has been a pain and stress free experience for you and that it worked ;)

Last edited:

augustox

Feb 7, 2014
I see many threads about rooting Android 4.3, especially with locked bootloaders, along with many users getting confused about it so decided to make this guide on how to get root on your Android 4.3 device

Unfortunately there is no method to root directly on the Xperia T/TL/TX/V with Android 4.3, we must downgrade first!

Hello, can i root without cmw?

I hope this has been a pain and stress free experience for you and that it worked ;)

Hi, works on Xperia TX?

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 PM ----------

Hi, can i root whitout cmw?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3ct01

Skyguar

Jan 23, 2010
I have instaled CWM recovery, but phone stucks with logo "Sony". Is it something I am doing wrong?:confused:

thurin

Dec 26, 2010
No, this is why you need to follow the guide, if you OTA, you will lose root

You are wrong. You just have to do it rigth.

Just like i described here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2661698 [Lt30p]Keeping root with OTA-update!

Sent from my LT30p using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

matt4321

Dec 20, 2011
Reading, UK
I have instaled CWM recovery, but phone stucks with logo "Sony". Is it something I am doing wrong?:confused:

Which step did you get too? what device do you have? which ftf did you use?

Just like i described here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2661698 [Lt30p]Keeping root with OTA-update!

Fair enough, if it works for some people they can go this method. OTA updates with root isn't fool proof though so some users may find they loose it.

This is also more for people who have already OTA updated and don't have root

squillaciukm

Jan 15, 2014
Malibu
hey

im just wondering

if im doing this, are they gonna wipe out the entire data inside my phone??

because for some time, i was thinking about unlock the bootloader (even receive the request code from sony)

but after doing some research, i found many people regretting their decision to unlock, and even try to relock that thing

-thelastTsubasa

augustox

Feb 7, 2014
Works on my Xperia TX (locked bootloader), but i want to use the T9 Xperia Keyboard, can you give it to me please?

matt4321

Dec 20, 2011
Reading, UK
hey

im just wondering

if im doing this, are they gonna wipe out the entire data inside my phone??

because for some time, i was thinking about unlock the bootloader (even receive the request code from sony)

but after doing some research, i found many people regretting their decision to unlock, and even try to relock that thing

-thelastTsubasa

If you are on 4.1.2 then you can root and backup your data with Titanium Backup, If you're already on 4.3 and have to downgrade then you will have to wipe, otherwise you can get into problems

Works on my Xperia TX (locked bootloader), but i want to use the T9 Xperia Keyboard, can you give it to me please?

I don't have a copy, download an official release from the dev section and get the apk out the /system/app folder

squillaciukm

Jan 15, 2014
Malibu
hey its me again

right now, i've done downloading all the required file.

just in step 5 (for xperia v) i only download LT25i.199_ch_deodex_root_philz_v1.zip

so, do we need to download LT25i_9.2.A.1.199_1269-5999_customized_CH

whats the difference between those two.

isko95

May 6, 2012
Lombardy
is it possible to root with flashtool instead the step 3? because i cant download from uploaded.net (idk why) in any browser please help

augustox

Feb 7, 2014
If you are on 4.1.2 then you can root and backup your data with Titanium Backup, If you're already on 4.3 and have to downgrade then you will have to wipe, otherwise you can get into problems

I don't have a copy, download an official release from the dev section and get the apk out the /system/app folder

I can't find it :(

matt4321

Dec 20, 2011
Reading, UK
is it possible to root with flashtool instead the step 3? because i cant download from uploaded.net (idk why) in any browser please help

try and see, if it doesn't work look for a mirror in the root many android thread, I'm sure there will be one

hey its me again

right now, i've done downloading all the required file.

just in step 5 (for xperia v) i only download LT25i.199_ch_deodex_root_philz_v1.zip

so, do we need to download LT25i_9.2.A.1.199_1269-5999_customized_CH

whats the difference between those two.

I believe the first one is the flashable zip and the second one is the ftf

make a backup of it before you update?

isko95

May 6, 2012
Lombardy
try and see, if it doesn't work look for a mirror in the root many android thread, I'm sure there will be one

I believe the first one is the flashable zip and the second one is the ftf

make a backup of it before you update?
Working rooting with flashtool instead of step 3, now i have 4.3 rooted :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    IMPORTANT:

This method is now obsolete and not needed, we are able to root directly onto 4.3 now thanks to geohot, please see towelroot thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2783157

OLD METHOD:

Step 1, Getting flashtool installed:

You need to download flashtool and install the latest drivers, this can all be found here and here

Step 2, Getting your device running Android 4.1.2 which is rootable!:

You need to download a 4.1.2 FTF file, I recommend using this one if you are an Xperia T user,

Use this one if you are an Xperia V user.

Use this one if you are an Xperia TX user

although any will do as long as has a build number earlier than 9.1.A.1.141

Next what you need to do is open up flashtool which you installed in Step 1. Next click on the lightning bolt button which is the flash button, flashmode should be selected by default, click OK!

Now you are in the firmware selection area, navigate to where you downloaded the FTF file using the browse button in the top right.

Select the correct firmware, then click OK!

It'll process a bit, then will tell you to connect your device, firstly put your cable into the computer/laptop first, then hold down the volume down button on your device and connect the micro USB part to the device.

If all goes well it will start flashing, finish and tell you to restart the phone, the process could easily take 15 minutes, so be patient.

Step 3, Lets root the device:

Try rooting with the root option within FlashTool

Should that not work try this:

You want to download bin4rys rooting toolkit, which is found here and here

This part you will be walked through in the command prompt of the toolkit, it will tell you what to do and when, it is very simple!

Step 4, Now we're rooted, we want a recovery:

Now we need to get CWM recovery for locked bootloaders installed!

Download CWM installer here

Next extract the folder to somewhere on your computer, connect your phone to the computer, remember to allow unknown sources to be installed and to allow usb debugging, these can be found in 'security' and 'developer options' respectively.

Once done, double click on 'install.bat' and let the installer do it's magic.

If you have issues with this step, take a look at the 'Unable to enter recovery' section in the CWM for locked bootloaders thread here

Step 5, Download a rooted 4.3 update:

If you are an Xperia T user download from here

If you are an Xperia V user download from here

If you are an Xperia TX user download from here

Now transfer the package to the SD card on your device.

Next you want to power off your device, once that is done power back on, when you hit the first vibrate you should see a blue led, start repeatedly pressing the volume up button, the led should turn green and you will enter into CWM recovery.

RECOMMENDED: Now you are in recovery you should do a complete wipe data/factory reset, now this can be skipped but if it leads to errors and problems then you may need to go back to step 1, you have been warned!

Head to install zip from SD card and locate to where you downloaded the file, then flash the file!

Step 6, Enjoy:

You should now be all up to date with Android 4.3 and have root access, feel free to comment and ask questions in the thread if you are having problems or things didn't work as they should.

You also now should have PhilZ Touch Recovery installed which will allow you to install mods, make backups etc. To enter it is the exact same procedure as for CWM earlier on!

Fair enough, if it works for some people they can go this method. OTA updates with root isn't fool proof though so some users may find they loose it.

This is also more for people who have already OTA updated and don't have root

Hello, can i root without cmw?

Hi, works on Xperia TX?

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 PM ----------

Hi, can i root whitout cmw?

Already sort it out, thanks for the guide!

glad you got it sorted mate!
    hey whats the difference between this deodexed rom for xperia V and the stock.199 ? its just a root ?

it has root and deodexed means it is more easily theme-able and mod's can be applied. Some mods need a deodexed rom.

stock .199 will be how it came from sony, no root, busybox, deodex, mods, anything like that