[DEV][20.11.2011] Android Gingerbread SIP over 3g for (probably) every GB based rom

Search This thread

sevet

Dec 11, 2006
Here is a bit of why I wrote this manual:

Back at December 2010 Paul from modaco found how to enable sip over 3g for the gingerbread native client, his original thread is here:

http://android.modaco.com/topic/327770-using-gingerbread-internet-calling-sip-without-wifi/

For chefs it is probably straight forward how to use this tip, but for me I always begged for cookers to include this in their roms usually they didn't even replay to my request, so I investigated this, and here is very easy way to enable this feature.

This guide assumes you are a little familiar with changing files on your ROM.

*I take no responsibility for this guide, use it at your own risk

So, what we are doing is modifying the framework-res.apk from from our framework directory.

We need:

apktools from here: http://code.google.com/p/android-apktool/

Two files are needed, this: http://code.google.com/p/android-apktool/downloads/detail?name=apktool1.4.1.tar.bz2&can=2&q=
And this: http://code.google.com/p/android-apktool/downloads/detail?name=apktool-install-windows-r04-brut1.tar.bz2&can=2&q=

(You can also do this for Linux and Mac, this guide will use windows)

Take the framework-res.apk from your ROMS zip file inside /system/framework directory.

How its done:

Extract both files that you downloaded to c:\apktools (can be any dir...)
You should have 3 files.
Copy the framework-res.apk to the same directory: c:\apktools
start --> run --> cmd
c:
cd \apktools
apktools d framework-res.apk temp

Now a folder named temp will appear named temp
inside temp, edit the file: C:\apktools\temp\res\values\bools.xml
I use notepad++, search for a line:
<bool name="config_sip_wifi_only">true</bool>th
change in the line the "true" into "false"
save the file.
go back to cmd
c:
cd \apktools
apktools b temp temp.apk

Now rename your original framework-res.apk to framework-res.apk.zip
open it with winrar/winzip/7zip it will open like regular archive.

take the file that was created by the build process:
C:\apktools\temp\build\apk\resources.arsc

Use this file to replace the file inside the archive of framerwork-res.apk.zip (overwriting the original, inside the zip)
rename the file back to framework-res.apk

And now you have a sip over 3g enabled framework-res.apk.

There are few options to push this file, easiest is just replace it in your ROM zip and flush the ROM, you need to wipe cache and dalvik cache.

There are other ways to push this to your rom but I won't discuss them here.

I used this on stock roms, AOSP roms, MIUI roms and Sense roms, worked for me on all, if you find a roms it doesn't work on please report.

Thats it, its actually quite easy.

Last edited:

davinj

Mar 22, 2006
You are Awesome! Thank you for posting this. I just setup my phone with this and it works great.

easyb

Dec 4, 2009
Great Process, a few little remarks

Shalom,
This is a great process tutorial and within 15 minutes I flashed my HTC Sensation to support Internet calls on 3G/4G, while before it was WiFi ONLY.
So now, no need to have any cellular minutes purchased, have DATA have LIFE.

Remarks:
1. Have only 2 files. You mentioned 1 download and then 2 more. The 1st is duplicated withing the 2.
2. The BAT file is apktool.bat and not apktools.bat.

Other then that, SWEEET.

Toda Raba.

Easy

---------- Post added at 04:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 AM ----------

HTC Sensation T-Mobile.
Forgot to mention earlier.
Thanks.

Reactions: Emandab1

azeneg

Jan 17, 2009
HI

tryed not working stoped at temp file cretion is showing an eror cant go further plz help

disconnecktie

Oct 23, 2011
Does this change your phone to use 3g to make calls? If so that is excellent.

Sent from my Sabotaged Droid Incredible 2.

whisky_x

Oct 3, 2011
Thanks, but why don't we use SIP third-party such as Sipdroid, 3CXPhone...? I think they are easy to use.

nelsonw

Jun 29, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
I tried on Wet Dreams 1.3.0 for Atrig 4G and didn't works (Didn't show SIP Calling option)... maybe my mistake or isn't working with Moto's 2.3.6 build. But I asked to be added by the chef! Thanks for this tip!

lotherius

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 12, 2009
Houston, TX
Google Pixel 6
If SIP options are not present in your Settings.APK it may have been disabled by the carrier.

The solution is to place the proper permissions file into /system/etc/permissions/ which will enable SIP overall on your device, then of course to this fix as well.

Solution found in various other places, just thought I'd add it to this thread since the thread is linked from the homepage.

Attachments

• android.software.sip.voip.zip
    659 bytes · Views: 204

BTLINU

Mar 29, 2011
If SIP options are not present in your Settings.APK it may have been disabled by the carrier.

The solution is to place the proper permissions file into /system/etc/permissions/ which will enable SIP overall on your device, then of course to this fix as well.

Solution found in various other places, just thought I'd add it to this thread since the thread is linked from the homepage.

Thanx.
But it didnt work for me, and still not seeing sip settings.
I plased the attached file in system/etc/permissions, rebooted.
Also tried to fix permissions, and still didnt work.
Please Help:confused:

Verizon Motorola Droid 3
Stock deodexed Rom, Android 2.3.4

lotherius

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 12, 2009
Houston, TX
Google Pixel 6
Thanx.
But it didnt work for me, and still not seeing sip settings.
I plased the attached file in system/etc/permissions, rebooted.
Also tried to fix permissions, and still didnt work.
Please Help:confused:

Verizon Motorola Droid 3
Stock deodexed Rom, Android 2.3.4

Then the options probably just aren't there in your carrier's Rom. They were present in my LG Rom, after I pushed the permissions file. However, when I tried to use SIP, it would force close as soon as the call connected... something else missing.

In my case and yours, the answer is to use SipDroid from the market.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is a bit of why I wrote this manual:

Back at December 2010 Paul from modaco found how to enable sip over 3g for the gingerbread native client, his original thread is here:

http://android.modaco.com/topic/327770-using-gingerbread-internet-calling-sip-without-wifi/

For chefs it is probably straight forward how to use this tip, but for me I always begged for cookers to include this in their roms usually they didn't even replay to my request, so I investigated this, and here is very easy way to enable this feature.

This guide assumes you are a little familiar with changing files on your ROM.

*I take no responsibility for this guide, use it at your own risk

So, what we are doing is modifying the framework-res.apk from from our framework directory.

We need:

apktools from here: http://code.google.com/p/android-apktool/

Two files are needed, this: http://code.google.com/p/android-apktool/downloads/detail?name=apktool1.4.1.tar.bz2&can=2&q=
    And this: http://code.google.com/p/android-apktool/downloads/detail?name=apktool-install-windows-r04-brut1.tar.bz2&can=2&q=

(You can also do this for Linux and Mac, this guide will use windows)

Take the framework-res.apk from your ROMS zip file inside /system/framework directory.

How its done:

Extract both files that you downloaded to c:\apktools (can be any dir...)
    You should have 3 files.
    Copy the framework-res.apk to the same directory: c:\apktools
    start --> run --> cmd
    c:
    cd \apktools
    apktools d framework-res.apk temp

Now a folder named temp will appear named temp
    inside temp, edit the file: C:\apktools\temp\res\values\bools.xml
    I use notepad++, search for a line:
    <bool name="config_sip_wifi_only">true</bool>th
    change in the line the "true" into "false"
    save the file.
    go back to cmd
    c:
    cd \apktools
    apktools b temp temp.apk

Now rename your original framework-res.apk to framework-res.apk.zip
    open it with winrar/winzip/7zip it will open like regular archive.

take the file that was created by the build process:
    C:\apktools\temp\build\apk\resources.arsc

Use this file to replace the file inside the archive of framerwork-res.apk.zip (overwriting the original, inside the zip)
    rename the file back to framework-res.apk

And now you have a sip over 3g enabled framework-res.apk.

There are few options to push this file, easiest is just replace it in your ROM zip and flush the ROM, you need to wipe cache and dalvik cache.

There are other ways to push this to your rom but I won't discuss them here.

I used this on stock roms, AOSP roms, MIUI roms and Sense roms, worked for me on all, if you find a roms it doesn't work on please report.

Thats it, its actually quite easy.
    Great Process, a few little remarks

Shalom,
    This is a great process tutorial and within 15 minutes I flashed my HTC Sensation to support Internet calls on 3G/4G, while before it was WiFi ONLY.
    So now, no need to have any cellular minutes purchased, have DATA have LIFE.

Remarks:
    1. Have only 2 files. You mentioned 1 download and then 2 more. The 1st is duplicated withing the 2.
    2. The BAT file is apktool.bat and not apktools.bat.

Other then that, SWEEET.

Toda Raba.

Easy

---------- Post added at 04:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 AM ----------

HTC Sensation T-Mobile.
    Forgot to mention earlier.
    Thanks.