[HTC] HTCdev - OpenSense SDK

Search This thread

Evostance

Nov 27, 2008
www.greghesp.com
Committed to the developer community, we're launching http://www.HTCdev.com and opening Sense to devs via OpenSense SDK #uplinq #HTC

We know that, by supporting your ideas, the benefits customers get from our technology can increase exponentially. HTCdev is designed to give you the inspiration to explore the possibilities within the HTC platform, the support you need to develop your ideas, the platform you need to promote your applications and the forum to connect with other developers and with HTC. Through tools, tutorials, blogs and events, HTCdev is dedicated to helping you get the most from your talent and potential. And we can’t wait to get started.

http://www.htcdev.com/about/

kinnyfaifai

Mar 17, 2009
this is great news! glad HTC has decided to embrace the open dev community instead of creating barriers all the time.

R

Rhodius77

Wow! I have been waiting for this for a long time. I hope they will release it in the summer.

Imperticus

Jan 27, 2011
Was speaking to CM_arcee on twitter (developer for CM): "They're opening APIs to use Sense on devices that have it, they're not giving away Sense itself."
So that means Sense won't be coming to out non-HTC phone :(

victorinoxs

Feb 1, 2009
Why would developers limit themselves to HTC devices only in stead of the whole Android ecosystem?

Johev

Aug 23, 2009
Brussels
WOW, incredible news.....from locking their boot loaders to almost total openness, what a turn of events. Just shows what a nice strong community can accomplish. If there wasnt XDA nothing like this could have happened.

If the new HTC dual core doesn't take much longer to release, I ll be getting that definitely. I love HTC and after HD2, I still believe that the brand can reinvent themselves and lead the new smartphone industry, as they have done before.

madindehead

Apr 14, 2009
This is a very clever move from HTC, and one which will certainly see them gain much love from the dev community.

I'm not sure it will be total access to HTC Sense, but certainly a way to make apps/widgets etc integrate with Sense a lot better. That can only be a good thing. HTC have obviously realised that the dev community came to originally, and wants to stay with them, and they are making it worth our while.

mkrmec

Jul 4, 2010
Ljubljana
Worst idea ever... HTC will give you access to propriatery HTC APIs and you will be able to code apps for their phones only... worst "open" idea ever.

I sincerely hope that devs ignore this HTC ploy to better their own UI.

This is going in the same direction as the Nvidia, Qualcomm, Samsung optimised games that only work on one of the CPU. WTF.. games on android should be optimised for all CPUs or should I say CPUs should be compatible with some standard... like OpenGL that they are using dooohhhhh... Stupid SoC makers.

alex_hk90

Jul 8, 2010
London
Worst idea ever... HTC will give you access to propriatery HTC APIs and you will be able to code apps for their phones only... worst "open" idea ever.
It gives devss the option to integrate with the Sense UI if they want to. It's up to the devs themselves whether they want to code exclusively for it. They can still code for all Android (as they could before) and then on top of that make it work nicely with Sense as well. This can only be a positive thing in my opinion. :)

DEGE

Jun 27, 2007
As long as they doesn't release the entire sense source code it's not open. Period.

bbm21

Jul 24, 2010
Good for sense cuz they get developers but those apps made for sense will only work with sense and then more android fragmentation... the last thing we need

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

Jasmin - HTC

Feb 14, 2010
Great news!

I am sorry I don't wish to be rude, but it is absolutely ridiculous that some people are trying to make this look like a bad thing. How some people can turn a news about Sense becoming MORE open, into an almost doomsday prophecy for Android is beyond me.
This is only making life easier for the devs working on Sense, which in terms means better and faster development of said UI... How can that be bad? It's not like it means that all deving for other devices is getting worse as a result..

Reactions: plade and spaco22

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Great news!

I am sorry I don't wish to be rude, but it is absolutely ridiculous that some people are trying to make this look like a bad thing. How some people can turn a news about Sense becoming MORE open, into an almost doomsday prophecy for Android is beyond me.
    This is only making life easier for the devs working on Sense, which in terms means better and faster development of said UI... How can that be bad? It's not like it means that all deving for other devices is getting worse as a result..
    Makes sense as not to open it up to other devices Sense is what makes it stand out from other devices.HTC sense is why im married to the brand so to speak.
    Fragmentation blablabla.... you can also view it from a different angle:

On such a huge market like Android is, it's probably hard for a developer to stand out of the masses. Same to iOS. You can develop an app that's working on all iOS devices but it doesn't mean you are automatically successful.... So I'm asking myself what is the advantage of having a non-fragmented OS?

Why don't you consider these OpenSense APIs as new chance for developers. Be the first one to offer your app! And HTC is the most successful Android brand so your apps will also be used increasingly!

It's similar to the situation we have with the new Honeycomb UI... developers have another chance to pioneer with new ideas.

I don't see it as fragmentation problem, I see it as a refresh. And as such it's just great!

Thanks HTC!