Bad/lost signal, KNOX, service centre dilemma

Search This thread

ssteward

Jun 29, 2007
Hi, My SGS4 has never really worked since new. I experienced the same problem as this person when I got it last year, ie, it loses signal and then latches off and needs to be rebooted or put in and out of flight mode to nudge it back to life:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2288744

I've tried lots of stuff the operator suggested and replaced the SIM etc. etc. In the end I got fed up and swapped back to my SGS2, which is works fine, and intended to swap the SGS4 for another one. But since moving to the SGS2, the the 4.3 OTA update has been released. I've NOT moved to 4.3 and it comes up with the new software available message every few hours.

On all my other Android devices I've rooted them and to make use of TiB and other neat tools. I haven't done that with the SGS4 yet but would like to once it's out of warranty.

So my dilemma is this...

Should I send the SGS4 back and get another from the operator and risk getting a 4.3 KNOX device, or
Should I send it to a Samsung service centre (as folks in the thread I referenced suggest) and risk that the service centre updating my phone to 4.3, or
Should I root and update to 4.3 without updating the modem etc. to avoid KNOX and see if the new OS fixes my problems but risk my warranty (which runs until May 2015)?

I'm kicking myself for not getting on with this months ago before 4.3 was released. Any views gratefully received.

-Thanks

malybru

Retired Senior Moderator
Aug 16, 2006
London
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Hi, My SGS4 has never really worked since new. I experienced the same problem as this person when I got it last year, ie, it loses signal and then latches off and needs to be rebooted or put in and out of flight mode to nudge it back to life:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2288744

I've tried lots of stuff the operator suggested and replaced the SIM etc. etc. In the end I got fed up and swapped back to my SGS2, which is works fine, and intended to swap the SGS4 for another one. But since moving to the SGS2, the the 4.3 OTA update has been released. I've NOT moved to 4.3 and it comes up with the new software available message every few hours.

On all my other Android devices I've rooted them and to make use of TiB and other neat tools. I haven't done that with the SGS4 yet but would like to once it's out of warranty.

So my dilemma is this...

Should I send the SGS4 back and get another from the operator and risk getting a 4.3 KNOX device, or
Should I send it to a Samsung service centre (as folks in the thread I referenced suggest) and risk that the service centre updating my phone to 4.3, or
Should I root and update to 4.3 without updating the modem etc. to avoid KNOX and see if the new OS fixes my problems but risk my warranty (which runs until May 2015)?

I'm kicking myself for not getting on with this months ago before 4.3 was released. Any views gratefully received.

-Thanks

Hi,

I take it that you have a pre-knox bootloader.
Me too.

I installed a custom recovery and only used custom ROMS/kernels , so I remained on the old bootloader.
At any time I can use Triangle Away and flash a stock MGA firmware to return to it's original state.
I can flash knox-free ROMS and modems and it still does not affect or change the bootloader.
I suggest you try the same.

:)