(SOLVED) need help unbricking A500 with nvFlash

Search This thread

jitajt

Oct 10, 2008
so I traded an older compaq laptop for this bricked Iconia A500 and they must have really borked it up because all the "normal" unbricking methods will not work, it will not pull the update.zip from the SD card about 10 -15 minutes in I get the LNX checksum error, same thing if I try to factory reset it hangs on Erasing cache... then back to the LNX checksum error. I have tried reflashing a stock EUU ROM in APX mode but it just hangs and wont update. I was able to get the UID by using the usb traffic sniffer and I created the SKB from the website. so now I can get it in APX mode but I am new to the Tegra tablets so I have no idea what I should see or do with the nvFlash, I am a pretty techincal guy and can usually figure stuff out by using common sense but I am sure I am missing something with this nvFlash program. I notice if I send the tablet a command with nvflash (like --sync) it will come back with the normal error but it will also cut off the usb connection and to send any more commands I have to restart APX mode (while in windows, I havent noticed it do that in ubuntu) if anyone has any experience in this and knows the steps to get it back from the abyss I would really appreciate it. I have tried following sc2k's thread on the checksum errors but it won't work because I fall under the "any other recovery" and he said to contact him or post for help, I contacted him 2 days ago and haven't got an answer yet, (I am sure he is busy) so I am going to ask for help here in the meantime.

Last edited:

a.chursin

Sep 30, 2008
Novorossiysk
I think you can try this way:

[downloading necessary files]:
1. pls refer to How to root stock 3.2 and download root-3.2.1-V4.7z

[actions:]
1. extract files from root-3.2.1-V4.7z to c:\a500unbrick
2. go to folder c:\a500unbrick and fined .pdf file with instractions. Read it carefully and follow it.

at the end of this process you will have os 3.2.1 with custom recovery.

Last edited:

jitajt

Oct 10, 2008

2. go to folder c:\a500unbrick and fined .pdf file with instractions. Read it carefully and follow it.

Thanks I will look into it, but if it needs adb or booting from sd card its a no go because it won't read update.zip (lack of proper recovery image?) Nor can I use adb, the only way I can send commands is through APX mode.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA

jitajt

Oct 10, 2008
still will not work

I have tried the PBJ20upgrade.exe and I know it says to use APX mode in there but it doesn't work as stated in the OP and that is why I said it needs to be with nvFlash, nothing else is working at all. it will just hang at 1/8th done for well over 20 minutes.
thanks for replying though and trying to help.

anyone have experience with nvFlash that can help?

this is how far it gets when I try using nvflash in the command line:

nvflash --bct flash.bct --setbct --configfile flash.cfg --create --odmdata 0xb00d8011 --bl bootloader.bin --sbk 0x45DC1E00 0x48A7F501 0xA7EE1103 0xB0512103 --go

Nvflash started
rcm version 0X20001
System Information:
chip name: t20
chip id: 0x20 major: 1 minor: 3
chip sku: 0x8
chip uid: 0x037c61c9434032d7
macrovision: disabled
hdcp: enabled
sbk burned: true
dk burned: true
boot device: emmc
operating mode: 4
device config strap: 0
device config fuse: 0
sdram config strap: 0

sending file: flash.bct
data send failed NvError 0x120000
setbct failed NvError 0x0
command failure: bootloader download failed

C:\Users\Jon\Desktop\Acer Tab A500\root-3.2.1\Image>

Last edited:

jitajt

Oct 10, 2008
GOT IT!!!

I got it!! I had to boot into Ubuntu and run the same nvflash command and it worked like a charm, I am currently sporting 3.2.1. now to get some ICS on this thing

thanks for your help a.chursin.

cooki3monst3r77

Mar 28, 2011
Dayton, OH
Motorola Edge 20 Pro
help!

Could someone please help me with this?? Im stuck with the green Acer screen. Bootloader is hosed, I can get it to APX mode, no adb, no recovery, no fastboot.....I think I can use NVflash to flash a recovery and then flash an update.exe, I just dont know the commands. When I try nvflash --sync, the nvidia APX driver in device manager just dissapears and I have to put the tablet back in APX mode.

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
Could someone please help me with this?? Im stuck with the green Acer screen. Bootloader is hosed, I can get it to APX mode, no adb, no recovery, no fastboot.....I think I can use NVflash to flash a recovery and then flash an update.exe, I just dont know the commands. When I try nvflash --sync, the nvidia APX driver in device manager just dissapears and I have to put the tablet back in APX mode.

How did u get yrself into this:) will need more info to help BUT
the green recovery screen suggests its the HC recovery image
If u r on HC then I have a feeling nv/fast boot only works on an unlocked b/l which 3.2 is not, but I'm not 100% on that
U can try an EUU based flash as u say apx mode is still available to u
Timmydeanv4 for gen2 stock, else EUU from vaches thread

GueDS

Aug 15, 2011
Sete Lagoas

This solved my issue, thanks.

I was triyng to update BL to ICS.BL and it actually updates to the BL nicely, but whathever i have tried could no pass the boot, always getting bootloop. So i downgraded it and its working like a charm.

Thanks again.

xmond

Mar 19, 2012
Would someone help me? I just installed CM10 Jelly bean for Iconia A500 and flashed the corresponding GApss right after. Now I'm stuck on Acer logo and can't go to recovery. Help.

GueDS

Aug 15, 2011
Sete Lagoas
Would someone help me? I just installed CM10 Jelly bean for Iconia A500 and flashed the corresponding GApss right after. Now I'm stuck on Acer logo and can't go to recovery. Help.

Can you boot in download mode to clean cache? (Power + Vol+)
Or, can you boot in recovery after shut down device?

If not try it and then tell us. :)

Reactions: xmond

xmond

Mar 19, 2012

No, I can't go into recovery even after shutting down the device. It's stuck on Acer logo. Help me please.

*Edit:* Booted in download mode and did a cache wipe. That did the trick! My device is now booting! THANKS A LOT!

Last edited:

Felix Tang

Jan 3, 2013
Urgent! CPUID from apx mode

so I traded an older compaq laptop for this bricked Iconia A500 and they must have really borked it up because all the "normal" unbricking methods will not work, it will not pull the update.zip from the SD card about 10 -15 minutes in I get the LNX checksum error, same thing if I try to factory reset it hangs on Erasing cache... then back to the LNX checksum error. I have tried reflashing a stock EUU ROM in APX mode but it just hangs and wont update. I was able to get the UID by using the usb traffic sniffer and I created the SKB from the website. so now I can get it in APX mode but I am new to the Tegra tablets so I have no idea what I should see or do with the nvFlash, I am a pretty techincal guy and can usually figure stuff out by using common sense but I am sure I am missing something with this nvFlash program. I notice if I send the tablet a command with nvflash (like --sync) it will come back with the normal error but it will also cut off the usb connection and to send any more commands I have to restart APX mode (while in windows, I havent noticed it do that in ubuntu) if anyone has any experience in this and knows the steps to get it back from the abyss I would really appreciate it. I have tried following sc2k's thread on the checksum errors but it won't work because I fall under the "any other recovery" and he said to contact him or post for help, I contacted him 2 days ago and haven't got an answer yet, (I am sure he is busy) so I am going to ask for help here in the meantime.

Hey man I'm really desperate to know how can I get my CPUID from apx mode. I foolishly formatted mmcblk0 and now it won't even boot. And the only mode I can get in is apx mode. How can I solve this? what is usb sniffer? Can you giive me the link?

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
felix, if you'd read the cpuid guide like i suggested you would know exactly where and how to use a usb sniffer to retrieve your cpuid... you provided bugger all details about your situation other than to say its bricked...take a deep breath and slow down, unbricking has to be done according to strict rules otherwise you'll end up going round in circles, its a process thats not gonna take 5 mins...and posting in 6month old threads expecting an answer probly isnt gonna help neither...there is an unbricking guide in my sig, post in that if you need to
dibb

Daedaluz

May 3, 2012
What Command

I got it!! I had to boot into Ubuntu and run the same nvflash command and it worked like a charm, I am currently sporting 3.2.1. now to get some ICS on this thing

thanks for your help a.chursin.

What was the command you use in Ubuntu to get nvflash to run? please send me the string you use, i am in the same as you was i only have apx mode on the acer a500

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

it doesn't need adb or sdcard update.zip - it's "apx moode" way of flashing

No, I can't go into recovery even after shutting down the device. It's stuck on Acer logo. Help me please.

*Edit:* Booted in download mode and did a cache wipe. That did the trick! My device is now booting! THANKS A LOT!

I´m glad to help :good:
    What was the command you use in Ubuntu to get nvflash to run? please send me the string you use, i am in the same as you was i only have apx mode on the acer a500

after you get your CPUID and generate the SBK using the tool from this post run the below command (with your SBK of course)

nvflash --bct flash.bct --setbct --configfile flash.cfg --create --odmdata 0xb00d8011 --bl bootloader.bin --sbk ENTER YOUR PERSONALLY GENERATED SBK HERE --go