[ROOT] PROPER Remake of Full Rooted Stock Image (aka Root66) + Easy CWM Install

Search This thread

open1your1eyes0

Dec 13, 2010
New York City
SOLVED - How to flash the Proper (Fixed) Stock Rooted Image

Description: This is 100% stock with just Superuser/su added and overwrites every partition to stock but keeps your personal data, apps, settings the same (just like the stock factory image).

Samsung Official USB Drivers - Link
ODIN v3.07 - Link
Proper Rooted Stock Image - Download or (Torrent Link) - MD5 = be4350a56e739eaf7a4184352d653a7b

1. Install USB drivers
2. Download ODIN v3.07
3. Backup your data
4. OPTIONAL: Do a factory reset (highly recommended if you have issues with your current ROM)
***WARNING: Step #4 will erase internal storage but not microSD card***
5. Download the above Proper Rooted Stock Image file and extract the tar file from inside it
6. Boot phone into ODIN mode (See here for how-to)
7. Flash the extracted tar file using ODIN v3.07

You should now have a like new condition stock image and rooted with all issues resolved.

Credit goes completely to mrRobinson for creating this image for us. Thank you sir. :) (Original Post) + (Details How It Was Made)

To Install Official CWM Recovery

1. After following above process, download "Rom Manager" from the Play Store
2. Open Rom Manager
3. Select "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery"
4. Select "Samsung Galaxy S3 (Verizon)" down at the bottom and let it flash
5. Once completed you can reboot to CWM by selecting "Reboot into Recovery" from Rom Manager

ORIGINAL REQUEST

After various testing, it seems many users are experiencing various issues with the rooted System.img provided by the OP in this thread. Many report findings of "Sprint related elements" as well as various keyboard issues and things not working as they should. I wish I had the knowledge myself but on behalf of the community, I'd like to request for someone with knowledge of this guide to remake the same rooted system.img as in the original but this time confirmed with using the original stock Verizon SCH-I535 image downloadable here.

I'm sure many of us here would highly appreciate this effort and we can also carry out further testing as many users reported that soon as they flash back to that stock image, their issues have disappeared and everything starts working properly.

I will quote another user in reference to this:

Just formatted back to stock until issues can be resolved. The stock image (which I'm told this root is + su) lost all Sprint instances and any strange extra options. Also the Keyboards are back to functioning. Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but I feel that the root image has more going on with it than what we are told.

Here's to hoping one of you knowledgeable developers are able to assist us with this request. :)

Last edited:

tonu42

Nov 14, 2010
After various testing, it seems many users are experiencing various issues with the rooted System.img provided by the OP in this thread. Many report findings of "Sprint related elements" as well as various keyboard issues and things not working as they should. I wish I had the knowledge myself but on behalf of the community, I'd like to request for someone with knowledge of this guide to remake the same rooted system.img as in the original but this time confirmed with using the original stock Verizon SCH-I535 image downloadable here.

I'm sure many of us here would highly appreciate this effort and we can also carry out further testing as many users reported that soon as they flash back to that stock image, their issues have disappeared and everything starts working properly.

Here's to hoping one of you knowledgeable developers are able to assist us with this request. :)

If you don't like it, dont flash it.

themusicmonkey

Apr 14, 2011

Hardly helpful for those who already flashed it... I just want it fixed, or a work around. If it's something as simple as uninstalling a few things, or replacing some databases, I'm fine with that. I just don't want to redo everything, and re-restore everything with Titanium Backup.

Reactions: majmuni

open1your1eyes0

Dec 13, 2010
New York City

Not to be rude but we're not. That's why I'm making this request to remake with proper image. Because we are skeptical of the original one that was made. I PMed the OP of that thread and he claims to have used that image but in user's experience something is definitely different from stock, hence we're requesting a remake to test this.

tonu42

Nov 14, 2010
Not to be rude but we're not. That's why I'm making this request to remake with proper image. Because we are skeptical of the original one that was made. I PMed the OP of that thread and he claims to have used that image but in user's experience something is definitely different from stock, hence we're requesting a remake to test this.

If you'd like, you can flash the stripped version, and I have a second zip that will restore all the stripped apps.

ExodusC

Mar 29, 2010
I did have some odd issues with SwiftKey crashing after flashing the image. Not sure if that has to do with it or not.

Useless post.

What would be useful is someone with the requisite knowledge being able to remake this exploit with the Verizon source in order to have maximum compatibility.

alquimista

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles

Are you talking about the system.img from invisibleks first image?
Link: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=28402010&postcount=1
Or the stripped and rooted one?
Link: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=28459565&postcount=1

I think the first one invisiblek made is pretty much what you are asking for. Remember, there's no SCH-I535 source code out there for people to build a system image from. These images are hacked system images from the stock image (found here: http://samsung-updates.com/device/?id=SCH-I535 ). One can't really "remake" the system image until we can fully bypass the encrypted and locked bootloader.

If you want to roll your own system image with the su binary and SuperUser you can follow the instructions here:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=27801304&postcount=1
They seem pretty straight forward.

However, I'm pretty sure that's what invisiblek did for his/her first rooted image (the one that isn't stripped).

Hope that helps. I can't do much of anything till my SGS3 arrives tomorrow.
ALQI

open1your1eyes0

Dec 13, 2010
New York City
Are you talking about the system.img from invisibleks first image?
Link: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=28402010&postcount=1
Or the stripped and rooted one?
Link: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=28459565&postcount=1

I think the first one invisiblek made is pretty much what you are asking for. Remember, there's no SCH-I535 source code out there for people to build a system image from. These images are hacked system images from the stock image (found here: http://samsung-updates.com/device/?id=SCH-I535 ). One can't really "remake" the system image until we can fully bypass the encrypted and locked bootloader.

If you want to roll your own system image with the su binary and SuperUser you can follow the instructions here:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=27801304&postcount=1
They seem pretty straight forward.

However, I'm pretty sure that's what invisiblek did for his/her first rooted image (the one that isn't stripped).

Hope that helps. I can't do much of anything till my SGS3 arrives tomorrow.
ALQI

The one in bold is what this request is about actually. Basically to remake that. Because the non-stripped rooted system.img that invisiblek is the one causing most issues for people and people have noted things in there that are not in the factory image. I tried to follow that guide myself but I must be missing something because most of those commands do not work for me. Mind you this is on a Windows PC.

jhanford

Mar 12, 2009
Fort Collins, CO

I could do it, but it'd require more time than whats it worth. Sorry.

Two completely pointless comments.

No worries. Very understandable as that guide is quite time consuming and not for everyone. Thanks for your support either way. :)

You sir are a better man than me for being so humble in response to these replies.

I'm assuming invisiblek DID in fact use the VZW image if the phone still had all the VZW nonsense in it (VZ Navigator, for example) as that would not be found in the Sprint image. Equally, if "all" he did was follow the steps in the link, then someone else doing the same is likely to produce the same result.

If you'd like, you can flash the stripped version, and I have a second zip that will restore all the stripped apps.

If you have these, have you posted them anywhere? That might have been a useful thing to do.

Reactions: open1your1eyes0

BungeBash

Sep 19, 2007
Ohio
I actually saw that guide you posted about creating our own. I can try and whip something up tonight if I get some time. If not, tomorrow is my "Friday" at work, so I'll have time tomorrow evening for sure.

open1your1eyes0

Dec 13, 2010
New York City
I actually saw that guide you posted about creating our own. I can try and whip something up tonight if I get some time. If not, tomorrow is my "Friday" at work, so I'll have time tomorrow evening for sure.

Thank you much sir. You assistance would be greatly appreciated. :)

Unfortunately I do not have a linux box so the guide does not work for me. :(

BungeBash

Sep 19, 2007
Ohio
It's already been diff'd. There is no difference between the stock image and the rooted one here except for su and binaries:

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/29256-ro...erizon-galaxy-s-iii/page__st__110#entry793038

I'm guessing VZW has done more to the stock image on the phone than the stock one that is available for download, which is causing these differences.

Considering I loaded the first root mod, then reverted to the image that it was created from and have 2 different setups I'd say two different files were used.

alquimista

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles
The one in bold is what this request is about actually. Basically to remake that. Because the non-stripped rooted system.img that invisiblek is the one causing most issues for people and people have noted things in there that are not in the factory image. I tried to follow that guide myself but I must be missing something because most of those commands do not work for me. Mind you this is on a Windows PC.

If its already been diff'd with the original, maybe the sammy-updates file ain't so good.

Hmm, I wonder if we dump the system.img from an untouched stock phone (like the one I get tomorrow), and inject that img with su, would that work out any better? I'll look into this tomorrow.

I'll also take a look at re-rolling the system.img from the sammy-updates files in the meantime.

I'll report back when and if I have a viable image.
~ALQI

open1your1eyes0

Dec 13, 2010
New York City
If its already been diff'd with the original, maybe the sammy-updates file ain't so good.

Hmm, I wonder if we dump the system.img from an untouched stock phone (like the one I get tomorrow), and inject that img with su, would that work out any better? I'll look into this tomorrow.

I'll also take a look at re-rolling the system.img from the sammy-updates files in the meantime.

I'll report back when and if I have a viable image.
~ALQI

According to users, flashing that sammy-update firmware got rid of all the issues and the Sprint related stuff. Just, FYI.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SOLVED - How to flash the Proper (Fixed) Stock Rooted Image

Description: This is 100% stock with just Superuser/su added and overwrites every partition to stock but keeps your personal data, apps, settings the same (just like the stock factory image).

Samsung Official USB Drivers - Link
    ODIN v3.07 - Link
    Proper Rooted Stock Image - Download or (Torrent Link) - MD5 = be4350a56e739eaf7a4184352d653a7b

1. Install USB drivers
    2. Download ODIN v3.07
    3. Backup your data
    4. OPTIONAL: Do a factory reset (highly recommended if you have issues with your current ROM)
    ***WARNING: Step #4 will erase internal storage but not microSD card***
    5. Download the above Proper Rooted Stock Image file and extract the tar file from inside it
    6. Boot phone into ODIN mode (See here for how-to)
    7. Flash the extracted tar file using ODIN v3.07

You should now have a like new condition stock image and rooted with all issues resolved.

Credit goes completely to mrRobinson for creating this image for us. Thank you sir. :) (Original Post) + (Details How It Was Made)

To Install Official CWM Recovery

1. After following above process, download "Rom Manager" from the Play Store
    2. Open Rom Manager
    3. Select "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery"
    4. Select "Samsung Galaxy S3 (Verizon)" down at the bottom and let it flash
    5. Once completed you can reboot to CWM by selecting "Reboot into Recovery" from Rom Manager

ORIGINAL REQUEST

Just formatted back to stock until issues can be resolved. The stock image (which I'm told this root is + su) lost all Sprint instances and any strange extra options. Also the Keyboards are back to functioning. Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but I feel that the root image has more going on with it than what we are told.

Here you go guys. Nice clean rooted image.
    Download Here.

follow same instr. i posted here.

be4350a56e739eaf7a4184352d653a7b stock.vzw_root66.7z
    Well by the solved status i see it worked. I have att so I'm in those threads more just saw this and figured i'd help. I'll remove my link tmr (it was just a temp) but looks like you guys have a good torrent going so should be fine. I have posted in the att thread more how i did this just search for my posts there if you care. but as you guys found out that mkuserimage.sh never gave me a valid ext4 so i did the first part with sim2img and then forced an e2fsck, did the resize2fs, removed lost + found and then repackaged. That's it.
    This is completely stock, nothing stripped, just added su and the Superuser.apk.

if you put recovery on i have a debloater aroma utility i maintain here for an easy way to safely strip things off...

don't have a specific vzw section but most things are the same.
    Need a little help here lol. I flashed the root66 file in Odin and when my SG3 rebooted I see this overlay with system settings and info on my homescreen:

20120715_0959591.jpg

There was a brief pop-up window that said the device was in Factory Mode I think. How do I get out of this mode? A reboot and a battery pull didn't have any effect. Thanks.

Edit: Found solution searching xda. If anyone else gets stuck in Factory Mode after flashing, do this:

Open a terminal emulator
    Type su
    Then enter the following after the #
    echo -n ON > /efs/FactoryApp/factorymode

(yes ON is the correct setting to turn it off)

Then I had to reboot for the change to take effect. FYI, I had to go through initial setup after the reboot.
    Here's a theory I'm interested in trying.

1. Flash full stock image
    2. Flash the "supposedly broken" rooted system.img that is in that thread
    3. Flash CWM recovery
    4. Take the full stock image, untar it, then
    - Delete recovery.img (stock recovery), retar it again OR
    - Delete everything besides system.img.ext4, retar it again OR
    - Delete everything besides system.img.ext4, convert it with simg2img.sh, retar it again
    5. Flash the new modified full stock image (now it doesn't reflash recovery to stock)
    6. Boot and confirming everything is working
    7. Boot in CWM recovery (which still stayed from before) and just flash Superuser.zip to root

i made root injected images for att in this thread.
    you guys want me to try a vzw one?