[Q] Newbie With Questions Rooting T-Mobile Samsung Note 3

Search This thread

gil_happy

Mar 4, 2014
Hello,

I'm new to this whole rooting thing (I need to root my device for a couple of apps from the Google Play store) and I've been reading all the forums and I'm scratching my head going over all the information and I want to make sure I get it right so I don't brick my phone. Here is my situation:

- I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N900T) on T-Mobile USA which was purchased October 2013
- This phone is stock from T-Mobile and has never had any type of mods, etc done to it
- 2 days ago, I upgraded the software OTA to KitKat 4.4.2
- I do NOT have the 'multitouch' issue as described in some of the forums

All I want to do at the end of the day is root my phone, without damaging it - preferably without tripping KNOX either (if possible).

It is confusing to me which thread to follow. I see links / instructions for CF-Root, CF-Auto-Root, Root De La Vega, etc are from October 2013 (not sure if this latest OTA update changes the steps) and I don't know which one to use without damaging my phone. I have the AP, CP, CSC information if this helps. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

bobbyphoenix

Mar 30, 2010
Orlando, FL
Everything will stay as is. None of the steps does a factory reset. All that will happen is you gain root, and will be able to use the SD card like you did on 4.3. As far as a back up goes I don't think you can on stock. You need the custom recovery which this will give you. Then you can do that if you want.

Sent from a Galaxy Note 3 far, far away....

Reactions: mikef2501

gil_happy

Mar 4, 2014
Everything will stay as is. None of the steps does a factory reset. All that will happen is you gain root, and will be able to use the SD card like you did on 4.3. As far as a back up goes I don't think you can on stock. You need the custom recovery which this will give you. Then you can do that if you want.

Great, thanks again. I will try this tomorrow.

bobbyphoenix

Mar 30, 2010
Orlando, FL
Just some tips if you haven't used ODIN before, or used custom recoveries. When it does its thing, and reboots, make sure ODIN says PASS before disconnecting or shutting off. It's not in the instructions since those doing this know this, but just giving a heads up. Also on the last step after flashing the SD card fix it says to back out until you see REBOOT. When you do that you have two options. You want to press the option 1. NO, and not 2. Reset/stop custom recovery. Again it's not in the post, but you want to keep the custom recovery active, so always select NO.

gil_happy

Mar 4, 2014
Thanks so much BobbyPhoenix! Looks like everything is working and my phone is not bricked :)

Now that I have rooted my phone, I need to read up on what else I can do besides use apps from the Google Play that require root access, e.g. removing bloatware and using my phone as an Access Point.

Thanks again!

bobbyphoenix

Mar 30, 2010
Orlando, FL
Good to hear. One of my first apps I install is AdAway. It's not in the Play Store because Google bans all ad-blockers. If you hate ads (like me) this is a must have. If you want to try it here is the link. After you install it, and open it for the first time to install the hosts, you may be prompted to do a symlink. This is normal. Just press yes. Enjoy your root!

You don't have to download the F-Droid app. Just look for "download apk" under the latest version which right now is 2.8.1.
https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdfilter=adaway&fdid=org.adaway

changelog site
https://raw.github.com/dschuermann/ad-away/master/CHANGELOG

gil_happy

Mar 4, 2014
Good morning all, since my post above back in March, my rooted Note 3 has worked great. Today, when I connected my phone to Kies3, I see that there is an available firmware update from:

PDA:NB4 / PHONE:NB4 / CSC:NB4 (TMB)

to

PDA:NE6 / PHONE:NE6 / CSC:NE6 (TMB)

Are there any precautions I need to take if I want to upgrade to the latest firmware using Kies3 if my phone is rooted using the above procedure?

Thanks in advance!

golfcartguy

Aug 19, 2013
Mount Airy
Not sure if Kies will let you update firmware as you are rooted.

You can update to the NE6 Firmware by using Odin.

Find firmware either in this forum or elsewhere and flash away.

There was a good thread here on the Tmobile GN3 Forum with dl links, and steps.

Be well.

jdidtht

Sep 23, 2012
minneapolis
Thanks... I'll see what I can find.

Yes there is, when you Odin, make sure you are on stock kernel, and then before you go into Odin go ahead and run triangle away, then boot into download mode. Just seems some people have had issues getting modem to flash, and getting boot loader to flash. Other than that you will have no issues. Thanks man.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Follow this exactly from step 4 (since you already have 4.4.2), and you will have no issues. All root methods as of now trip KNOX, so if you really don't want to do that, don't root.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2672393

Enjoy!