Why iPhone is better than Android?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread
C

cdaly985

+1

Posting this on an android forum your going to get major disagreements, but I totally support you. Switched from an iPhone 3Gs to a Nexus S and I would change back in a heartbeat!
Everythings so much more, polished, okay not as many mods, etc for battery life but the battery lasted so much longer anyway!

THE_KINGDOM

Sep 20, 2011
OnePlus 11
Posting this on an android forum your going to get major disagreements, but I totally support you. Switched from an iPhone 3Gs to a Nexus S and I would change back in a heartbeat!
Everythings so much more, polished, okay not as many mods, etc for battery life but the battery lasted so much longer anyway!

that's exactly what I want, i want people to argue their case, i've explained through personal experience why I feel this way, if somebody beg's to differ, I want them to explain why! Please enlighten me!
As it stands there are more mod's and tweaks available for a Jailbroken iOS!

Last edited:

TDMaster

Apr 25, 2009
Ramat Gan
i jailbroke and unlocked a lot of iphones i must that iOS is a dry OS with nothing to look for too after i saw the iOS 5... also iTunes is a Piece of **** of a program..
i cant imagine myself need to jailbreak everytime i update the phone it kinda annoying and insane..

THE_KINGDOM

Sep 20, 2011
OnePlus 11
i jailbroke and unlocked a lot of iphones i must that iOS is a dry OS with nothing to look for too after i saw the iOS 5... also iTunes is a Piece of **** of a program..
i cant imagine myself need to jailbreak everytime i update the phone it kinda annoying and insane..

the iOS updates only come once every few months, and only when major updates are required. In this case, u wait until that release is jailbreakable and hold off. In the mean time u can find apps that backup all ur tweaks and settings so its a simple backup and restore process once u re-jailbreak on the newer firmware. no biggy.
iOS is only dry if you don't tweak it, if u use all the tweaks and addons, lockinfo screen, biteSMS, sbsettings, home screens, dock modifiers, it's all there.
I don't see how you can say it's dry if the apps on iOS look pristine compared to Android apps

lowandbehold

Feb 26, 2011
Vandling, PA
easier to work with how?! have u used a jailbroken iPhone?? at least explain

The only thing jailbreaking really allows is the use of 3rd party apps...which android can do out of the box. Not a shot at you, but you probably don't know enough about android or computers in general to have a clear cut idea of what you can really do. The ability to use adb and fastboot and apply System themes (not just overlays) make the possibilities endless. The ability to change between sense, touchwiz, blur and AOSP ROM's. Changing fonts, creating your own app icons, bootanimations, splash screens. Android gives you the tools to easily do these things on your own, not just use someone elses. You can create your own theme in 10 minutes online.

Cydia would not be possible for Android. The tweaks and mods android uses go much much deeper into the system than anything on Iphone. Changes made to the system are not compatible for every phone. And with the such high number of android phones it would make it an almost impossible app to keep up with, and not really worth the time.

danikron

Apr 25, 2011
I'm going to leave most of this topic alone, as I've never used an iPhone and therefore have no way of countering any claims made in its favour, however I must point out that I don't consider the availability of pirated apps when I decide on which phone to purchase.

If you can afford a $600 phone you can probably afford to buy a few apps as well.

ctbear

Oct 15, 2009
Seattle
the iOS updates only come once every few months, and only when major updates are required. In this case, u wait until that release is jailbreakable and hold off. In the mean time u can find apps that backup all ur tweaks and settings so its a simple backup and restore process once u re-jailbreak on the newer firmware. no biggy.
iOS is only dry if you don't tweak it, if u use all the tweaks and addons, lockinfo screen, biteSMS, sbsettings, home screens, dock modifiers, it's all there.
I don't see how you can say it's dry if the apps on iOS look pristine compared to Android apps

It is a huge headache about iOS updates. Yes you don't have to update, but what if your device broke and you needed a replacement? All your pre-5.0 SHSH blobs are now useless and you are stuck with a phone that is user friendly enough for your mom, but not powerful enough for yourself.
I don't even need to explain how terrible iTunes is.

Yes, iPhones are all good phones, and iOS is a good OS, no doubt about that (actually I myself am an iPhone user). But to say it's easier to mod and tweak iOS than Android is just not true.

THE_KINGDOM

Sep 20, 2011
OnePlus 11
The only thing jailbreaking really allows is the use of 3rd party apps...which android can do out of the box. Not a shot at you, but you probably don't know enough about android or computers in general to have a clear cut idea of what you can really do. The ability to use adb and fastboot and apply System themes (not just overlays) make the possibilities endless. The ability to change between sense, touchwiz, blur and AOSP ROM's. Changing fonts, creating your own app icons, bootanimations, splash screens. Android gives you the tools to easily do these things on your own, not just use someone elses. You can create your own theme in 10 minutes online.

Cydia would not be possible for Android. The tweaks and mods android uses go much much deeper into the system than anything on Iphone. Changes made to the system are not compatible for every phone. And with the such high number of android phones it would make it an almost impossible app to keep up with, and not really worth the time.

ok i see your point on some stuff here, it is "possible" to make these smaller detail changes to Android and not just overlays (ful themes etc) but you have to completely do it all yourself using command lines, pulling files, modifying java perhaps etc this also probably requires a computer therefore u can't just do it directly on your phone like you can with cydia, its also not organized into categories simply for downloading and patching, as it is with cydia

I beg to differ about the depth (system wise) of these tweaks and mod's, because although you have to do more work to apply them on android, the depth of them, relative to the system processes, is exactly the same really.

Either way, I do see your points, do you have any suggestions for good methods of modifying say for example: the colour of the GSM reception bars ONLY, in absence of everything else, without having to code in java?? (it would probably be very hard to come up with a simple answer to this question, yes i know. Because it's not straight forward and easy like it is on a jailbroken iPhone)

Last edited:

THE_KINGDOM

Sep 20, 2011
OnePlus 11
It is a huge headache about iOS updates. Yes you don't have to update, but what if your device broke and you needed a replacement? All your pre-5.0 SHSH blobs are now useless and you are stuck with a phone that is user friendly enough for your mom, but not powerful enough for yourself.
I don't even need to explain how terrible iTunes is.

Yes, iPhones are all good phones, and iOS is a good OS, no doubt about that (actually I myself am an iPhone user). But to say it's easier to mod and tweak iOS than Android is just not true.

simple, if this was to ever happen and you lose your previous SHSH blobs then u just have to wait AT MOST, a month of jailbreak to become available. maybe 2 weeks, if its a fresh firmware
most likely if u had a replacement device then the firmware if came with would be jailbreakable anyways because each firmware gets jailbroken very quickly, and again its not like they come out with new firmwares every week. Rarely do people run into SHSH blob problems now that it's always auto backed up by cydia

forget itunes.. what do we use it for now anyways? its only a partial server backup of ur apps and such, i dont use it for music or movies etc.
In any case, when i upgrade firmwares, i resync all my apps back, from itunes cracked or not.. and all the backed up cydia apps and tweaks also.. in no time ur device is back to normal.

Im still saying its definitely easier to mod and tweak iOS when it's all laid out for you right there in cydia, without having to punch a whole bunch of command lines, pull files, edit some java and then put the file back in, thats the bare more hard way to ever have to tweak or modify for your average non-programmer user.

Last edited:

ctbear

Oct 15, 2009
Seattle
simple, if this was to ever happen and you lose your previous SHSH blobs then u just have to wait AT MOST, a month of jailbreak to become available. maybe 2 weeks, if its a fresh firmware
most likely if u had a replacement device then the firmware if came with would be jailbreakable anyways because each firmware gets jailbroken very quickly, and again its not like they come out with new firmwares every week. Rarely do people run into SHSH blob problems now that it's always auto backed up by cydia

forget itunes.. what do we use it for now anyways? its only a partial server backup of ur apps and such, i dont use it for music or movies etc.
In any case, when i upgrade firmwares, i resync all my apps back, from itunes cracked or not.. and all the backed up cydia apps and tweaks also.. in no time ur device is back to normal.

Im still saying its definitely easier to mod and tweak iOS when it's all laid out for you right there in cydia, without having to punch a whole bunch of command lines, pull files, edit some java and then put the file back in, thats the bare more hard way to ever have to tweak or modify for your average non-programmer user.

Hmmm at most a month? Are you sure about that? I waited 3 months before I could jailbreak my iPad 2. And that's because comex was not working for Apple then. Apple has always been keen on patching vulnerabilities so I would imagine jailbreaking becoming more and more difficult.
Cydia backs up the blobs automatically? How can you even do that if you can't jailbreak in the first place?
Sure, Cydia is easier for average users. But how good is it if you can't even put it on your device?
Anyways I don't think it's a good idea for a user to mod his phone if he can't even search on forums for mods.

Reactions: dmeadows013

MilkyJoePD

Oct 30, 2011
ok i see your point on some stuff here, it is "possible" to make these smaller detail changes to Android and not just overlays (ful themes etc) but you have to completely do it all yourself using command lines, pulling files, modifying java perhaps etc this also probably requires a computer therefore u can't just do it directly on your phone like you can with cydia, its also not organized into categories simply for downloading and patching, as it is with cydia

I beg to differ about the depth (system wise) of these tweaks and mod's, because although you have to do more work to apply them on android, the depth of them, relative to the system processes, is exactly the same really.

Either way, I do see your points, do you have any suggestions for good methods of modifying say for example: the colour of the GSM reception bars ONLY, in absence of everything else, without having to code in java?? (it would probably be very hard to come up with a simple answer to this question, yes i know. Because it's not straight forward and easy like it is on a jailbroken iPhone)

Rom Toolbox has icons for the GSM reception bars, along with some others.

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk

lowandbehold

Feb 26, 2011
Vandling, PA

Personally, I would rather it not be that easy to tweak and mod. Changes that deep into the system can eff up your phone, and if it is as easy as clicking an app..you probably won't know how to fix it. Plus, when it is hard, less people do it. So while you debate about Apple being better, I already know my Android is better than the guy's next to me.

Kailkti

Apr 7, 2010
Kingston
Well as said, something like cydia would not work for us since we have so many devices with different hardware and structure. I do not get what you mean by more customizable though. We can change our notification bar, launcher, icons, system layout, anything. Literally anything. Why? Cuz we have the friggin source code. I could go and get the source code and make android have some code in it to make a backdoor that sends your private information to me. I really could do anything. Get how drastic the changes could be? Now here's what it comes down to really, the app developers. The people who would spend time and implement your ideas or make apps that would satisfy your needs. Nothing to do with android the system, has to do with its ecosystem however.

Lruiz100

Aug 9, 2011
Houston
Well in my opinion, the Android is not easy to work with, but it is easier to understand. I used to be an Iphone user but, it didn't work out for me. Its features confused me and I didn't understand what its JailBreak meant for it. I also found it difficult (Was an Iphone Jailbreaker :p) on how to get to where I wanted to get.

Nsandhu23

Dec 11, 2010
One major thing to consider: Android has more than one phone. Not every single developer has the same exact phone which they are all developing for. If every Android user had a say, HTC EVO 3D, then the development community for the EVO 3D would be huge, like Apple's. This is not a draw back, but a difference between the two platforms. I respect both, but I love Android too much to leave with. And yes with multiple phones comes fragmentation, but hey get the best phone every time you can, like me, or root that SOB!

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    easier to work with how?! have u used a jailbroken iPhone?? at least explain

Ha! And I'm a noob here

This is my first post being that I just officially joined xda after I made the switch from Crapple to Android.

I used to be an iphone fan boy. This was many moons ago.

I understand why people like the iPhone; it's pretty much for people who don't know how to use computers and want everything spoon fed to them (no offense.)

I've been using iPhones since 3G-->4 and I'll tell you if you want to stay on top of the game as far as tweaks and ACTUAL usability of what the hardware is supposed to let u do (bluetooth file exchange, REAL usb storage, etc); stay away from iPhone. It's funny how I'm using a Samsung Infuse that came out some time ago and it's being compared to the 4s!!! Anybody see anything wrong with that?

True you're comparing a jailbroken iphone to a stock android (and you have to because stock to stock iphone loses quickly); but you forget to mention that these jailbreaks are not completely stable. Let me clarify:

I downloaded the honeycomb tablet theme on my infuse (sweeeeet by the way); the closes thing that I had to a nice looking theme on the iphone was Glass Orb. But in order for that to work seamlessly I had to download a tweak for 5 icon dock, download the theme, already have had to have winterboard (which is a memory hog btw), then kind of enjoy the theme after downloading 3-5 different packages which makes my phone kind of slow. THEN, not every app icon IS supported in different themes; so you end up with an ugly homepage that looks salvaged. Only the popular apps have integrated icons. This is minor though.

My main complaint with apple is their restrictiveness! They don't want you to be able to file share, they don't want you to do ANYTHING that threatens their control ($). In order for you to to have the ability to do what your phone has the power to do, you have to add a million tweaks on your iphone which makes your phone considerably slower (i was a tweak freak on my iphone.) Quick story, my friend who has a Nokia N8 bluetoothed me an album in a matter of minutes. That album was placed automatically into my music player and allowed me to organize the name/album/song. Try doing that with ipod app. You need itunes. Which brings me to another piece of crap.

Type "itunes error" on google and see how many suggestions pop up. Using iTunes is equivalent to having an anal probe with sand paper. What if you're away from your computer for long periods of time? You can't add music. Jailbreaking is great, but becoming harder and harder as the years pass. How long have we been waiting for 4.3.5-->5.0 untethered jailbreak??? I have two iphone 4's replaced by apple sitting on my shelf. The only jailbreak that's available is tethered jailbreak. Am I supposed to walk around with my usb cable WHEN (not if) I need to respring my phone?? And when you're running a jailbroken iphone and are a tweaker you NEED to respring your phone for EVERY little tweak. Do I jailbreak 50 times? I was really surprised when after installing and applying so many themes on my Infuse that I didn't have to restart the phone once.

Apple iDevices are cool. They're a status symbol. But when you cut all the crap out of the equation you're left with a phone that was created not to function to its maximum capability. Do you know how easy it is to unlock and keep the unlock for my samsung (not to mention free)? My HTC Sensation, I paid $15 to unlock it and now it's what apple calls "factory unlocked" minus the outrageous price. Do you know how many apple followers would pay $50-$100 to have their unlocking problems eliminated? My guess is most of them.

The ios is so bland. I don't know what I did before using widgets. Whenever I go back into using my iphone I feel like it's too "square." They don't let you control your own god given homescreens the way you want to (unless of course you download gridlock, pano, and another million other tweaks... how many individual tweaks are we up to now? I forget.) But, the average user doesn't care about this because they are all followers and know little to nothing about computers.

One more thing I think is revolutionary that EVERYBODY who has an iphone comments when they see me type is SWYPE. I love it, it makes sense, I can't type any other way now.

Did you guys see the face unlock feature on ICS???? Genius!

AND, last but not least, but how did the iFlock community like that the "new and improved" 4S was revealed to be a 3G phone? HA! That even made me upset and at that time I already dumped ios. (Doesn't simple mobile have 4g?) Way to innovate guys.

Peace
    Me: What do you think about Androids?
    Siri: Can you imaging the freedom I would have running custom ROMs.

Thread moved to Q&A due to it being a question. Would advise you to read forum rules and post in correct section.

Failure to comply with forum rules will result in an infraction and/or ban depending on severity of rule break.