[DEPRECIATED] Guide- Easily Flash GB MIUI for Vibrant + Themes/Modems/Kernels/etc!

Search This thread

N00B_IN_N33D

May 27, 2011
Pompano Beach
Notices:
DROPPING SUPPORT FOR THIS GUIDE

It has been a whole year since Miui announced that they would be suspending official support for the Vibrant, and nothing has changed. On October 22, 2012 I announced in a notice (which can be found below) that I would be no longer updating this guide "as of the moment". However, I would like it to be known that it is now more like 'as of forever'. Please, if you wish to get the latest ROM(s) for your phone you should head check out my Vibrant Bible thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1982728. This guide is now depreciated. :(

SAD NEWS MY FELLOW MIUI FANS...

Sadly Miui is no longer supporting the Samsung Vibrant. That means no more Gingerbread updates nor will there be any official Miui v4 coming our way. It's rather disappointing, however if you wish, you can still find a download for Miui.us's Gingerbread v2.3.30 rom (last official Miui rom released for the Vibrant) in step 5 of the guide below. If you have a craving for some Miui v4 love, there is a port by 360° Productions that can be found here or here. As of the moment, this guide will no longer be updated...

HOW TO EASILY INSTALL MIUI ON THE SAMSUNG VIBRANT:

Table of Contents:

Post #1- Flashing the MIUI Rom (Easily)

Post #2- More Information (Tips, tricks, etc.)

Post #3- Custom Kernels/Modems/Themes for MIUI

_________________________________________________​

These same flashing instructions also work for CM7! Download the latest CM7 nightly build here.

FLASHING THE MIUI ROM (EASILY)

In this guide I will show you how to revert to stock (2.1 Eclair), flash CWR (by flashing the Overstock Kernel via ODIN), then flash MIUI. The process may seems long in word format but once you have done it a few times it's a very quick process... Now to the detailed instructions...

1. BACKUP (OPTIONAL)

(If rooted) Backup All Apps + Data with Titanium Backup, but try to avoid restoring system apps as they are typically to blame for bugs.

(If not rooted) Backup your apps with AppBrain. I have never used this app personally. However, from what I hear it is an excellent app for backing up apps for non-root users.

Backup your contacts (I suggest backing it to the SD Card)

Use "SMS Backup +" for saving/restoring text messages

(If rooted) Do a Nandroid Backup in CWR

As a precaution you may back up all the contents of the SD card to your PC. However, this isn't necessary

To do a completely clean install you can reformat you SD card by going into the Menu > Settings and unmount and format both internal and external SD cards. Just make sure you made a backup of important documents and files before reformatting.

2. FLASH BACK TO STOCK (2.1 Eclair)

First, download the files and program below:

ODIN (MD5: E012B512C1579C3AF7A38A27FD905B86)

PIT FILE (MD5: 1D927B36D2FA807A22E64FC86B445130)

TAR FILE (MD5: 632730F6B637F53E5B10E5CBC8B966A7)

After downloading it is suggested you use hashtab to verify the MD5.

After that move the files to your desktop.

3. DOWNLOAD MODE

NOTE - Do not remove the USB cable from the phone while ODIN is running as this may cause your phone to brick. If you removed the USB to early and now your phone is presenting you with a "Phone.. ! ..Computer" image when booting then go down to the "More Information" section in this guide for the fix.

Open ODIN on your computer

Plug in the USB Cable to the computer

Remove the battery from the phone.

Plug USB into Phone

Hold down BOTH volume buttons and while holding both, insert the battery.

Two to three seconds later your phone will be in Download Mode.

*Again, do not remove connection while ODIN is running.*

4. ODIN

Go back to ODIN on your PC. There should be a yellow box under ID COM, saying something like COM 5. If not try downloading and installing these Samsung Drivers.

Click the PIT button and select the PIT file from desktop

Click the PDA button and select the TAR file from desktop

Re-partition is checked!

Click Start. Unless ODIN hangs, you should see a progress bar start soon after. The process takes a few minutes and you told ODIN to reboot once done so when your phone boots up, you are on stock JFD.

5. DOWNLOAD THE MIUI ROM

Click here to get MIUI v2.3.30 from MIUI.us for the Vibrant.

If you want something with a little more pizzazz then stock MIUI check out some of 360° Production's variants:
Once downloaded use hashtab to verify the MD5. Then place the file on your internal SD card, the one that is 12GB and should have a folder called "DCIM."

You do not need to rename the ROM.

6. GET CWR

Download the file below:

Overstock Kernel

Once downloaded move it to the desktop, then load ODIN

Repeat step 3 to get into Download Mode

In ODIN Un-check Re-Partition and Auto Reboot (F. Reset Time should be checked)

Click the PDA button and select the Overstock Kernel from the desktop

Click start. Once it has finished (passed) remove the USB cable from the phone and do a battery pull

7. FLASH THE MIUI ROM

Hold both volume buttons and power. Release power once the Vibrant logo is up.

In CWR: Do a Wipe Data/Factory Reset, Wipe Cache Partition, & Wipe Dalvik Cache (advanced menu)

Go to “install zip from sd card”, select zip from sd... Go and find the MIUI ROM you put on the sd card and flash it.

It should start flashing and then enter a bootloop (Vibrant [Splash Screen] > Galaxy S Cyanogen(MOD) > CWR > Repeat). After it does this loop a few times do a battery pull.

Reboot into recovery, which will now be blue (Hold both volume buttons and power. Release power once the Vibrant logo is up).

Go to “install zip from sd card”, select zip from sd... Go and find the MIUI ROM you put on the sd card and flash it again.

This time it should successively install.

Go to "advanced", and select "Fix Permissions". Once it has finished fixing permissions go down and hit "++Go Back++"

Reboot your device.

Do not touch the phone for 5-10 minutes after it has booted... Do Absolutely Nothing! This helps clear any possible bugs.

8. RESTORE (OPTIONAL)

After going through the MIUI setup menu and have come to the home screen you're going to want to restore. (If you flashed the Lithium, Prime, or SGSII MIUI variants then you are first going to want to go into your "Themes" app and Re-apply the theme marked "Current".) Now, to restore you are going to go to the Market, Sign-in, Approve terms, Re-install Titanium Backup and/or AppBrain. Restore all Missing Apps+Data. I highly suggest you do not restore any system apps. After that restore anything else you have. (i.e. text messages) and reboot again.

ENJOY YOUR NEW ROM!

Last edited:

N00B_IN_N33D

May 27, 2011
Pompano Beach
More Information

WHAT ABOUT IF THERE IS AN UPDATE TO MIUI?

Updating MIUI is easy. Simply open the Updater app located in the Tools folder in the home screen and it will find the latest update of MIUI for you and install it. It will also automatically check the MD5 for you. I do suggest you use Wi-Fi when updating however, as it will make the upgrading process much faster.

Also, there is an update for MIUI every Friday at 5pm unless it's a holiday.

RECONDITION YOUR BATTERY:

AFTER FLASHING IF YOU FIND THAT YOU HAVE BAD BATTERY LIFE TRY ONE OF THE METHODS BELOW TO FIX:

Method One:

Use phone till it dies on its own, completely dead.
Charge phone completely, plus 30 minutes longer.
Unplug phone from charger
Reconnect, you'll notice it's not full, charge till it is again.
This is bump charging and NOT something you want to do often, a few times is okay, in my opinion. You could skip the bump charge if you like.
Phone remains plugged in.
Boot into recovery (volumes + power)
Advanced > wipe battery stats, reboot.

Use phone till it's literally about to shut off (or does) Charge till full + Use phone like normal

OR

Method Two:

Download the Battery Calibration app by NeMa from the Android Market

GET EXTENDED SETTINGS (Even More Customization):

If you want an even more custom experience then MIUI already offers check out the "MIUI Control Panel" app. It allows you to remove AM/PM from the status bar, add effects to your phone's overscroll and more! All within an easy to use interface!

"SOFT" BRICKED WHILE USING ODIN?

Samsung_Galaxy_S_Black_Screen_of_Death.jpg

If you are getting a "Phone.. ! ..Computer" image (seen above) when booting phone, yes, you are bricked but it is reversible! Just follow these steps...

Make sure you have ODIN OPEN with admin privileges!

1.) Take off your back cover, remove your sim & mirco sd card.
2.) Remove your battery.

Make sure you have the USB plugged into your PC but NOT your phone!

3.) Hold the volume buttons.
4.) Put the battery in.
5.) Put the USB in.

You don't necessarily need the download mode image to be present. As long as you are getting the COM ID to light up yellow in ODIN, just flash back to stock like normal.

GET AN APP DRAWER:

Check out xuso's ALTDRAWER app! It's a great resolution to MIUI's lack of an app drawer.

GET LONGER BATTERY LIFE:

Gingerbread Rom's in general are notorious for causing battery drain. However, with a couple of tweaks and an understanding of what drains our batteries you can get great battery life, even on MIUI! Check out this awesome battery saving guide made by Woodrube! It has everything you'll need to get more out of your device! Plus you can find my setup for the Glitch kernel in it (which saves me a lot of battery).

Note: Juice Defender + Glitch Kernel =
battery-full.gif
X2

GET GREAT *FREE* ROOT APPS:

Check out my guide/list (found here) for some great free apps that will get the most out of your rooted device.

Front Facing Camera (FFC) Support:

If you have modded your Vibrant to have a FFC and wish to use it while running MIUI check out this thread to get help getting your FFC mod running.

MIUI TIPS & TRICKS:

1. Long press on the icon in Toggles to launch the settings for that icon.
When you pull down the notification bar, you will see the Toggle settings for plenty of options (such as WIFI, volume, backlight etc). Long press on any icon in the Toggle mode will launch the setting for that icon.
2. Built-in Screen Capture function
Press the “Menu” key and “Volume Down” key at the same time to capture a screenshot. The image is saved in the MIUI/ directory in the sd card.
3. Slide from left to right to quickly delete a message or a call log.
In the SMS or Dialer app, swipe left or right any entry will bring up the Delete mode.
4. Move home screen icon easily
Hold down an icon by one hand to enter Edit Mode, and then use the other hand to slide the screen to move the icon to the target screen.
5. Launch Music Player in lockscreen
In the lockscreen, double tap the time zone to launch the Music Player.
6. Access shortcut menu from contact image
In the Calls, SMS or Contacts app, tap the contact image and a shortcut menus will appear offering you to "Call", "SMS", "Details", and "Blacklist".
7. Switch the Battery UI to show percentage
The default battery UI can be switched to display percentage of left battery capacity. To do so, go to Settings > System > Battery Settings > Battery Indicator Style > Percentage.
8. Long press on the Home button to show History
Long press on the Home button will show the recently used apps + an App Killer and App Manager button. Swiping the popup left will show the search form.
9. Setting up IP dialing
If you need to add an IP prefix for a particular number in a strange land, you can set it in Settings > Common > Calls Settings. Turn the “Auto IP dialing” ON and set the IP prefix and current area code.
10. Send SMS for rejected calls
When you are not available to answer the phone, you may slide up the panel to reject the call and to send a message to the caller at the same time.
11. Quickly uninstall an app
To uninstall an app, simply press and hold the icon until the trash bin show up at the top of the screen. Move the icon to the trash bin to uninstall the app.
12. Tether : How can I share my network to the PC or other terminals?
Firmware of Android 2.2 and above support the sharing of mobile phones to other Internet terminal in the following method:
Go to "Settings" -> "System" -> "Tethering & Portable Hotspot", you may choose to share the Internet connection by USB tethering or setting up portable Wi-Fi hotspot.
13. Change the screen on/off animation
To change the screen on/off animation from a fade from black effect to an expanding from center effect do the following:
Go to "Settings" -> "Display", here you can choose to turn the screen animation on or off.
14. Quickly read SMS and mark it read
In the lockscreen, press down the SMS button (without dragging it down) to reveal the new incoming message on the lockscreen. Once you have finished reading it, double tap on the SMS button to mark it read.

FAQ:

-I'M NOT ROOTED AFTER FLASHING MIUI!

This is a common issue for people new to MIUI. The solution is to open the Superuser app that is normally in a folder called "tools", click the options soft key, click the setting button, and turn "ROOT permission" to ON.

-AFTER RESTORING SOME OF MY APPS THAT REQUIRE ROOT AREN'T WORKING!

This issue happened to me after restoring with MIUI's built in restore/backup app. My Wireless Tether and Titanium Backup apps kept claiming I wasn't rooted, while SetCPU worked fine. To fix this issue simply uninstall the non-working apps and re-install the app from the original source (i.e. Android Market) or restore it without data.

-I CAN'T DOWNLOAD FROM THE ANDROID MARKET, INSUFFICIENT STORAGE?!

This is what worked for me and hopefully it will also work for you too...

1). Boot into recovery
2). Enter the "Advanced" menu
3). Select "Wipe Dalvik Cache"
4). Reboot

Still having the issue? Check out this thread.

-MY PHONE WON'T CHARGE OVER 97%!

Try re-calibrating the battery. See the above section marked "RECONDITION YOUR BATTERY".

-"Move to External SD" popup?!

Here is the solution, use root explorer and move entire contents from "data/sdcard" to "sdcard"
Also delete "07internalsd" file from /system/etc/init.d

Last edited:

N00B_IN_N33D

May 27, 2011
Pompano Beach
Custom Kernels/Modems/Themes for MIUI

MIUI COMPATIBLE KERNELS

To install custom MIUI kernels follow these steps:

1.) Download the Ultimate Kernel Cleaning Script - 4.0
2.) Place the Ultimate Kernel Cleaning Script - 4.0 zip file in your internal sd card
3.) Flash it as a normal package in CWR (install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard > ultimate_kernel_cleaning_script_v4_by_lippol94.zip)
4.) Flash one of the MIUI compatible kernels from below
5.) Reboot

Some kernels have the Kernel Cleaning Script already integrated making steps 1-3 not necessary. Read the overveiw of the kernel you've selected to flash to decide if the instructions above apply to you.

Also, get the most out of your phone! Download the Voodoo Control app and make music and color be the way it's supposed to be!

Glitch

Overview:
- Up to 1.7GHz CPU OC with added bus/GPU OC (Thanks to morfic for the great base of work)
- Undervolting using Pimp my CPU or Voltage Control
- Voodoo Sound - & Voodoo Color, using VC versions
- FPS uncap (Screen running 68Hz instead of 60Hz, from 56 to 66 FPS max) from JPX source
- Various tweaks for more smoothness and reliability
- LED notifications

Bali-CM

Overview:
- OC/UV up to 1.4GHz (Safe boot to 1GHz) [require setCPU from market]
- Voodoo Sound v10
- Voodoo Color
- Multiple CPU governor, smartass included (default: ondemand)
- Multiple IO scheduler (default: BFQ)
- LED notification support (no external app required)
- CIFS support
- Support SetCPU screen off 100/400 profile
- Dock sound redirector support [need Galaxy Dock Sound Redirector app from market]

Platypus (A.K.A. NEO)

Overview:
- jhash3 for better reliability (data connections)
- Voodoo Sound & Color
- simple i/o scheduler for better speed & performance
- preemptive tree RCU with smaller fanout value (better efficiency, speed & less memory usage with read-write-operations)
- SLQB for more efficient & faster handling of files in memory
- kernel & app security features
- network security (syncookies; only secure redirects allowed; higher number of outstanding syn requests allowed; disabled warnings for invalid responses to broadcast frames; enabled window scaling; disabled IP dynaddr & ECN; log and drop "martian" packets; protection against: broadcast pings and smurf attacks, redirects for IP source routing, non-secure redirects, DoS (syn-flood) attacks, IP-Spoofing)
- interactive cpufreq governor
- smartass cpufreq governor
- OC/UV support
- laststufo's optimized CFLAGS for more speed
-(The full list of features can be found by clicking the link above)

Immortality-CM

Overview:
Voodoo Sound v10
Voodoo Color
Safely boots to 1ghz
OCable to 1.4ghz
User configurable UV
BFQ scheduler(set to default)
Smartass governor option available
Full sound dock support
LIPPOL94's kernel cleaning script integrated into flash package
SetCPU's 400/100 screen off profile safe to use, but not recommended.

99 Problemz

Overview:
Updated to work with stable CM7 and updated MIUI and OMFGB roms
Voodoo Sound v10
Voodoo Color
CWM Recovery v5.0.2.6
BLN supported (use BLN Control app to utilize)
Safely boots to 1ghz
OCable to 1.4ghz
User configurable UV
BFQv2 scheduler(set to default)
Smartass and Smartassv2 governor option available
GPU tweaks integrated
Integrated v(r) scheduler
Integrated zram and zache

Streamline

Overveiw:
( Stock CM Kernel 2.635.14 with the Following Mods )
Wifi Sleep Issue's Fixed
KB5 / KA7 Modem Recommended for GPS ( Results my vary )
Voodoo Color added
Voodoo Sound Added
Device Settings Added in Settings, Controls Voodoo Color & Voodoo Sound

MIUI COMPATIBLE MODEMS

Personally I feel the KA7 modem that comes with MIUI works fine. However, if you think different or would just like to try out some other modems compatible with MIUI check out the links below:

- http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1036215
- http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=14433354

MIUI THEMES

To install custom MIUI themes follow these steps:

1.) Download the theme of your choice, it should download as a .mtz file
2.) Then transfer it to your internal sd card.
3.) Place the file in the following directory... MIUI/themes/
4.) Load up your "Themes" app that comes with MIUI and select the newly installed theme!

*Well Made* MIUI Themes:

Ice Cream Sandwich- Klondike v1.1 (Lockscreen) ← **MY OWN HOMEMADE THEME.**
Download

[Ice Cream Sandwich] Black Ice v2.3 (Lockscreen)
Download

Blue Dado Light v5.5
Download

Blue Dado Dark v3.5
Download

Ultimate iPhone Theme v7.0 (4S)
Download

Suave Redone Light
Download

Suave Redone Dark
Download

SGSII Theme
Download

Last edited:

N00B_IN_N33D

May 27, 2011
Pompano Beach
If this guide helped you, please thank and credit to s15274n!

I do not take full credit for this guide. Credit also goes to s15274n as there is some information in this guide that is straight from his guide. So if this guide has helped you do not only thank me but also thank s15274n!

Also, if you found this guide of any help please don't forget to hit the "thanks" button!

Last edited:

s15274n

Aug 12, 2009
N.C.
callip.wordpress.com
haha, thanks for checking with me and the credit... I was a little surprised at just how closely this resembled by guide (and are those my files on sourceforge?)... but regardless, anything to help the community, I applaud you for helping people out... definitely no issue using my guide/links man.

In fact, I would applaud others to try and be this helpful.

N00B_IN_N33D

May 27, 2011
Pompano Beach
Thanks! And yeah I know it's pretty similar, although it isn't completely finished and the guide will probably be changed over time. The custom kernels, modems, and themes section isn't finished either so that's an addition that should make this guide a bit better/helpful.

Sent from my SGH-T959 (Samsung Vibrant)

xriderx66

Oct 10, 2010
Frisco, TX
Thanks both of you. I've just thanked all the posts that i can on this thread.
I don't exactly need this, but the new people do. People want something new to try, but their afraid if they flash miui, will they brick their phones because they don't know what to do? Those questions people's curiosity back. These kinds of threads make it possible for people who don't know how to do it to be able to enjoy something new, a fresh rom that they've never seen.
thanks again guys.

N00B_IN_N33D

May 27, 2011
Pompano Beach
Not really sure anyone is actually reading this guide to notice, but I've updated the MIUI COMPATIBLE KERNELS, MIUI COMPATIBLE MODEMS, and MIUI THEMES sections. If you know of any other modems or kernels not shown that are compatible with MIUI please tell me and I will add them to the list. Also, if there's a well made MIUI theme you think should be added to the list tell me and I will add it to the list also.

Reactions: RipRap and mrrobc97

Roid123

Oct 18, 2011
every time the rom tries to install the phone reboots to the vibrant splash screen and the process repeats

galaxy s cyanogenmod (spash cscreen) > rom installing> reboot > vibrant splash screen > and the process starts all over....

edit: just did a battery pull went back into recovery (changed color from red to blue) and everything seems to be working fine

ty for the guide

Last edited:

N00B_IN_N33D

May 27, 2011
Pompano Beach
every time the rom tries to install the phone reboots to the vibrant splash screen and the process repeats

galaxy s cyanogenmod (spash cscreen) > rom installing> reboot > vibrant splash screen > and the process starts all over....

edit: just did a battery pull went back into recovery (changed color from red to blue) and everything seems to be working fine

ty for the guide
You're welcome.

Last edited:

SamsungVibrant

Jul 23, 2010
Backup your EFS folder also, better safe than sorry.

Awesome wish this guide was available a few weeks ago when I had flashed MiUi!

Also, not that there is a real threat with MiUi messing up the EFS folder but I think it might be wise to include instructions for backing up the /efs and nv_data.bin, imei etc. Better safe than sorry.

N00B_IN_N33D

May 27, 2011
Pompano Beach
Awesome wish this guide was available a few weeks ago when I had flashed MiUi!

Also, not that there is a real threat with MiUi messing up the EFS folder but I think it might be wise to include instructions for backing up the /efs and nv_data.bin, imei etc. Better safe than sorry.

Actually MIUI automatically backs up the efs, imei, and nv_data.bin. Just look for the "backup" folder on the internal sd card.

Last edited:

sebastianwfh

Feb 20, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
i am new to this rom...coming from CM7
wat i did was basically flashing MIUI stock on top of CM7 without ODIN back to JFD. not too sure what will be the consequences in doing so but so far im running fine except for the phone at times not able to detect my external sd card (micro SD)

i am saving up this post for future use as well. donwloaded all the file too just in case my phone goes bonker.

thanks a lot cos ur post help me to understand MIUI rom better!

lurker!

Oct 24, 2011
Keeps on FC!

Why does it keep on FC?! It was fine until I restored all my apps+data. I didn't click system apps. So I don't know why it keeps FC on me. :(

Is it ok if we skip steps? Like if we already rooted it can we just go to the flashing part or do we have to flash back to stock and do the ODIN thing and everything?

Can someone please help me? :eek: Thank you!

s15274n

Aug 12, 2009
N.C.
callip.wordpress.com
^ best to odin to JFD when changing from one rom to another. Clean is always better. Especially if you are talking about FC's.

For those talking about the EFS backup, CM7 automagically does this on flash. I would assume MIUI does as well, but maybe it does not. If it doesn't, it should.

Reactions: N00B_IN_N33D

N00B_IN_N33D

May 27, 2011
Pompano Beach
@Lurker!
Whenever flashing a new ROM you should use Odin to return to stock. If you don't return to stock your previous ROM may conflict with the newly flashed ROM and cause issues like FC's, data issues, etc... Also, *none* of the steps should be skipped in the guide, especially steps 2-7.

@s15274n
By the way you are correct, MIUI automatically backs up the efs. I just went looking around my internal sd card and found a folder called "backups" containing a backup of the efs. Thanks for pointing that out.

Sent from my SGH-T959 (Samsung Vibrant)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Notices:
    DROPPING SUPPORT FOR THIS GUIDE

It has been a whole year since Miui announced that they would be suspending official support for the Vibrant, and nothing has changed. On October 22, 2012 I announced in a notice (which can be found below) that I would be no longer updating this guide "as of the moment". However, I would like it to be known that it is now more like 'as of forever'. Please, if you wish to get the latest ROM(s) for your phone you should head check out my Vibrant Bible thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1982728. This guide is now depreciated. :(

SAD NEWS MY FELLOW MIUI FANS...

Sadly Miui is no longer supporting the Samsung Vibrant. That means no more Gingerbread updates nor will there be any official Miui v4 coming our way. It's rather disappointing, however if you wish, you can still find a download for Miui.us's Gingerbread v2.3.30 rom (last official Miui rom released for the Vibrant) in step 5 of the guide below. If you have a craving for some Miui v4 love, there is a port by 360° Productions that can be found here or here. As of the moment, this guide will no longer be updated...

HOW TO EASILY INSTALL MIUI ON THE SAMSUNG VIBRANT:

Table of Contents:

Post #1- Flashing the MIUI Rom (Easily)

Post #2- More Information (Tips, tricks, etc.)

Post #3- Custom Kernels/Modems/Themes for MIUI

_________________________________________________​

These same flashing instructions also work for CM7! Download the latest CM7 nightly build here.

FLASHING THE MIUI ROM (EASILY)

In this guide I will show you how to revert to stock (2.1 Eclair), flash CWR (by flashing the Overstock Kernel via ODIN), then flash MIUI. The process may seems long in word format but once you have done it a few times it's a very quick process... Now to the detailed instructions...

1. BACKUP (OPTIONAL)

(If rooted) Backup All Apps + Data with Titanium Backup, but try to avoid restoring system apps as they are typically to blame for bugs.

(If not rooted) Backup your apps with AppBrain. I have never used this app personally. However, from what I hear it is an excellent app for backing up apps for non-root users.

Backup your contacts (I suggest backing it to the SD Card)

Use "SMS Backup +" for saving/restoring text messages

(If rooted) Do a Nandroid Backup in CWR

As a precaution you may back up all the contents of the SD card to your PC. However, this isn't necessary

To do a completely clean install you can reformat you SD card by going into the Menu > Settings and unmount and format both internal and external SD cards. Just make sure you made a backup of important documents and files before reformatting.

2. FLASH BACK TO STOCK (2.1 Eclair)

First, download the files and program below:

ODIN (MD5: E012B512C1579C3AF7A38A27FD905B86)

PIT FILE (MD5: 1D927B36D2FA807A22E64FC86B445130)

TAR FILE (MD5: 632730F6B637F53E5B10E5CBC8B966A7)

After downloading it is suggested you use hashtab to verify the MD5.

After that move the files to your desktop.

3. DOWNLOAD MODE

NOTE - Do not remove the USB cable from the phone while ODIN is running as this may cause your phone to brick. If you removed the USB to early and now your phone is presenting you with a "Phone.. ! ..Computer" image when booting then go down to the "More Information" section in this guide for the fix.

Open ODIN on your computer

Plug in the USB Cable to the computer

Remove the battery from the phone.

Plug USB into Phone

Hold down BOTH volume buttons and while holding both, insert the battery.

Two to three seconds later your phone will be in Download Mode.

*Again, do not remove connection while ODIN is running.*

4. ODIN

Go back to ODIN on your PC. There should be a yellow box under ID COM, saying something like COM 5. If not try downloading and installing these Samsung Drivers.

Click the PIT button and select the PIT file from desktop

Click the PDA button and select the TAR file from desktop

Re-partition is checked!

Click Start. Unless ODIN hangs, you should see a progress bar start soon after. The process takes a few minutes and you told ODIN to reboot once done so when your phone boots up, you are on stock JFD.

5. DOWNLOAD THE MIUI ROM

Click here to get MIUI v2.3.30 from MIUI.us for the Vibrant.

If you want something with a little more pizzazz then stock MIUI check out some of 360° Production's variants:
    Once downloaded use hashtab to verify the MD5. Then place the file on your internal SD card, the one that is 12GB and should have a folder called "DCIM."

You do not need to rename the ROM.

6. GET CWR

Download the file below:

Overstock Kernel

Once downloaded move it to the desktop, then load ODIN

Repeat step 3 to get into Download Mode

In ODIN Un-check Re-Partition and Auto Reboot (F. Reset Time should be checked)

Click the PDA button and select the Overstock Kernel from the desktop

Click start. Once it has finished (passed) remove the USB cable from the phone and do a battery pull

7. FLASH THE MIUI ROM

Hold both volume buttons and power. Release power once the Vibrant logo is up.

In CWR: Do a Wipe Data/Factory Reset, Wipe Cache Partition, & Wipe Dalvik Cache (advanced menu)

Go to “install zip from sd card”, select zip from sd... Go and find the MIUI ROM you put on the sd card and flash it.

It should start flashing and then enter a bootloop (Vibrant [Splash Screen] > Galaxy S Cyanogen(MOD) > CWR > Repeat). After it does this loop a few times do a battery pull.

Reboot into recovery, which will now be blue (Hold both volume buttons and power. Release power once the Vibrant logo is up).

Go to “install zip from sd card”, select zip from sd... Go and find the MIUI ROM you put on the sd card and flash it again.

This time it should successively install.

Go to "advanced", and select "Fix Permissions". Once it has finished fixing permissions go down and hit "++Go Back++"

Reboot your device.

Do not touch the phone for 5-10 minutes after it has booted... Do Absolutely Nothing! This helps clear any possible bugs.

8. RESTORE (OPTIONAL)

After going through the MIUI setup menu and have come to the home screen you're going to want to restore. (If you flashed the Lithium, Prime, or SGSII MIUI variants then you are first going to want to go into your "Themes" app and Re-apply the theme marked "Current".) Now, to restore you are going to go to the Market, Sign-in, Approve terms, Re-install Titanium Backup and/or AppBrain. Restore all Missing Apps+Data. I highly suggest you do not restore any system apps. After that restore anything else you have. (i.e. text messages) and reboot again.

ENJOY YOUR NEW ROM!

Custom Kernels/Modems/Themes for MIUI

MIUI COMPATIBLE KERNELS

To install custom MIUI kernels follow these steps:

1.) Download the Ultimate Kernel Cleaning Script - 4.0
    2.) Place the Ultimate Kernel Cleaning Script - 4.0 zip file in your internal sd card
    3.) Flash it as a normal package in CWR (install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard > ultimate_kernel_cleaning_script_v4_by_lippol94.zip)
    4.) Flash one of the MIUI compatible kernels from below
    5.) Reboot

Some kernels have the Kernel Cleaning Script already integrated making steps 1-3 not necessary. Read the overveiw of the kernel you've selected to flash to decide if the instructions above apply to you.

Also, get the most out of your phone! Download the Voodoo Control app and make music and color be the way it's supposed to be!

Glitch

Overview:
    - Up to 1.7GHz CPU OC with added bus/GPU OC (Thanks to morfic for the great base of work)
    - Undervolting using Pimp my CPU or Voltage Control
    - Voodoo Sound - & Voodoo Color, using VC versions
    - FPS uncap (Screen running 68Hz instead of 60Hz, from 56 to 66 FPS max) from JPX source
    - Various tweaks for more smoothness and reliability
    - LED notifications

Bali-CM

Overview:
    - OC/UV up to 1.4GHz (Safe boot to 1GHz) [require setCPU from market]
    - Voodoo Sound v10
    - Voodoo Color
    - Multiple CPU governor, smartass included (default: ondemand)
    - Multiple IO scheduler (default: BFQ)
    - LED notification support (no external app required)
    - CIFS support
    - Support SetCPU screen off 100/400 profile
    - Dock sound redirector support [need Galaxy Dock Sound Redirector app from market]

Platypus (A.K.A. NEO)

Overview:
    - jhash3 for better reliability (data connections)
    - Voodoo Sound & Color
    - simple i/o scheduler for better speed & performance
    - preemptive tree RCU with smaller fanout value (better efficiency, speed & less memory usage with read-write-operations)
    - SLQB for more efficient & faster handling of files in memory
    - kernel & app security features
    - network security (syncookies; only secure redirects allowed; higher number of outstanding syn requests allowed; disabled warnings for invalid responses to broadcast frames; enabled window scaling; disabled IP dynaddr & ECN; log and drop "martian" packets; protection against: broadcast pings and smurf attacks, redirects for IP source routing, non-secure redirects, DoS (syn-flood) attacks, IP-Spoofing)
    - interactive cpufreq governor
    - smartass cpufreq governor
    - OC/UV support
    - laststufo's optimized CFLAGS for more speed
    -(The full list of features can be found by clicking the link above)

Immortality-CM

Overview:
    Voodoo Sound v10
    Voodoo Color
    Safely boots to 1ghz
    OCable to 1.4ghz
    User configurable UV
    BFQ scheduler(set to default)
    Smartass governor option available
    Full sound dock support
    SetCPU's 400/100 screen off profile safe to use, but not recommended.

99 Problemz

Overview:
    Updated to work with stable CM7 and updated MIUI and OMFGB roms
    Voodoo Sound v10
    Voodoo Color
    CWM Recovery v5.0.2.6
    BLN supported (use BLN Control app to utilize)
    Safely boots to 1ghz
    OCable to 1.4ghz
    User configurable UV
    BFQv2 scheduler(set to default)
    Smartass and Smartassv2 governor option available
    GPU tweaks integrated
    Integrated v(r) scheduler
    Integrated zram and zache

Streamline

Overveiw:
    ( Stock CM Kernel 2.635.14 with the Following Mods )
    Wifi Sleep Issue's Fixed
    KB5 / KA7 Modem Recommended for GPS ( Results my vary )
    Voodoo Color added
    Voodoo Sound Added
    Device Settings Added in Settings, Controls Voodoo Color & Voodoo Sound

MIUI COMPATIBLE MODEMS

Personally I feel the KA7 modem that comes with MIUI works fine. However, if you think different or would just like to try out some other modems compatible with MIUI check out the links below:

- http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1036215
    - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=14433354

MIUI THEMES

To install custom MIUI themes follow these steps:

1.) Download the theme of your choice, it should download as a .mtz file
    2.) Then transfer it to your internal sd card.
    3.) Place the file in the following directory... MIUI/themes/
    4.) Load up your "Themes" app that comes with MIUI and select the newly installed theme!

*Well Made* MIUI Themes:

Ice Cream Sandwich- Klondike v1.1 (Lockscreen) ← **MY OWN HOMEMADE THEME.**
    Download

[Ice Cream Sandwich] Black Ice v2.3 (Lockscreen)
    Download

Blue Dado Light v5.5
    Download

Blue Dado Dark v3.5
    Download

Ultimate iPhone Theme v7.0 (4S)
    Download

Suave Redone Light
    Download

Suave Redone Dark
    Download

SGSII Theme
    Download
    If this guide helped you, please thank and credit to s15274n!

I do not take full credit for this guide. Credit also goes to s15274n as there is some information in this guide that is straight from his guide. So if this guide has helped you do not only thank me but also thank s15274n!

Also, if you found this guide of any help please don't forget to hit the "thanks" button!
    More Information

WHAT ABOUT IF THERE IS AN UPDATE TO MIUI?

Updating MIUI is easy. Simply open the Updater app located in the Tools folder in the home screen and it will find the latest update of MIUI for you and install it. It will also automatically check the MD5 for you. I do suggest you use Wi-Fi when updating however, as it will make the upgrading process much faster.

Also, there is an update for MIUI every Friday at 5pm unless it's a holiday.

RECONDITION YOUR BATTERY:

AFTER FLASHING IF YOU FIND THAT YOU HAVE BAD BATTERY LIFE TRY ONE OF THE METHODS BELOW TO FIX:

Method One:

Use phone till it dies on its own, completely dead.
    Charge phone completely, plus 30 minutes longer.
    Unplug phone from charger
    Reconnect, you'll notice it's not full, charge till it is again.
    This is bump charging and NOT something you want to do often, a few times is okay, in my opinion. You could skip the bump charge if you like.
    Phone remains plugged in.
    Boot into recovery (volumes + power)
    Advanced > wipe battery stats, reboot.

Use phone till it's literally about to shut off (or does) Charge till full + Use phone like normal

OR

Method Two:

Download the Battery Calibration app by NeMa from the Android Market

GET EXTENDED SETTINGS (Even More Customization):

If you want an even more custom experience then MIUI already offers check out the "MIUI Control Panel" app. It allows you to remove AM/PM from the status bar, add effects to your phone's overscroll and more! All within an easy to use interface!

"SOFT" BRICKED WHILE USING ODIN?

Samsung_Galaxy_S_Black_Screen_of_Death.jpg

If you are getting a "Phone.. ! ..Computer" image (seen above) when booting phone, yes, you are bricked but it is reversible! Just follow these steps...

Make sure you have ODIN OPEN with admin privileges!

1.) Take off your back cover, remove your sim & mirco sd card.
    2.) Remove your battery.

Make sure you have the USB plugged into your PC but NOT your phone!

3.) Hold the volume buttons.
    4.) Put the battery in.
    5.) Put the USB in.

You don't necessarily need the download mode image to be present. As long as you are getting the COM ID to light up yellow in ODIN, just flash back to stock like normal.

GET AN APP DRAWER:

Check out xuso's ALTDRAWER app! It's a great resolution to MIUI's lack of an app drawer.

GET LONGER BATTERY LIFE:

Gingerbread Rom's in general are notorious for causing battery drain. However, with a couple of tweaks and an understanding of what drains our batteries you can get great battery life, even on MIUI! Check out this awesome battery saving guide made by Woodrube! It has everything you'll need to get more out of your device! Plus you can find my setup for the Glitch kernel in it (which saves me a lot of battery).

Note: Juice Defender + Glitch Kernel =
    battery-full.gif
    X2

GET GREAT *FREE* ROOT APPS:

Check out my guide/list (found here) for some great free apps that will get the most out of your rooted device.

Front Facing Camera (FFC) Support:

If you have modded your Vibrant to have a FFC and wish to use it while running MIUI check out this thread to get help getting your FFC mod running.

MIUI TIPS & TRICKS:

1. Long press on the icon in Toggles to launch the settings for that icon.
    When you pull down the notification bar, you will see the Toggle settings for plenty of options (such as WIFI, volume, backlight etc). Long press on any icon in the Toggle mode will launch the setting for that icon.
    2. Built-in Screen Capture function
    Press the “Menu” key and “Volume Down” key at the same time to capture a screenshot. The image is saved in the MIUI/ directory in the sd card.
    3. Slide from left to right to quickly delete a message or a call log.
    In the SMS or Dialer app, swipe left or right any entry will bring up the Delete mode.
    4. Move home screen icon easily
    Hold down an icon by one hand to enter Edit Mode, and then use the other hand to slide the screen to move the icon to the target screen.
    5. Launch Music Player in lockscreen
    In the lockscreen, double tap the time zone to launch the Music Player.
    6. Access shortcut menu from contact image
    In the Calls, SMS or Contacts app, tap the contact image and a shortcut menus will appear offering you to "Call", "SMS", "Details", and "Blacklist".
    7. Switch the Battery UI to show percentage
    The default battery UI can be switched to display percentage of left battery capacity. To do so, go to Settings > System > Battery Settings > Battery Indicator Style > Percentage.
    8. Long press on the Home button to show History
    Long press on the Home button will show the recently used apps + an App Killer and App Manager button. Swiping the popup left will show the search form.
    9. Setting up IP dialing
    If you need to add an IP prefix for a particular number in a strange land, you can set it in Settings > Common > Calls Settings. Turn the “Auto IP dialing” ON and set the IP prefix and current area code.
    10. Send SMS for rejected calls
    When you are not available to answer the phone, you may slide up the panel to reject the call and to send a message to the caller at the same time.
    11. Quickly uninstall an app
    To uninstall an app, simply press and hold the icon until the trash bin show up at the top of the screen. Move the icon to the trash bin to uninstall the app.
    12. Tether : How can I share my network to the PC or other terminals?
    Firmware of Android 2.2 and above support the sharing of mobile phones to other Internet terminal in the following method:
    Go to "Settings" -> "System" -> "Tethering & Portable Hotspot", you may choose to share the Internet connection by USB tethering or setting up portable Wi-Fi hotspot.
    13. Change the screen on/off animation
    To change the screen on/off animation from a fade from black effect to an expanding from center effect do the following:
    Go to "Settings" -> "Display", here you can choose to turn the screen animation on or off.
    14. Quickly read SMS and mark it read
    In the lockscreen, press down the SMS button (without dragging it down) to reveal the new incoming message on the lockscreen. Once you have finished reading it, double tap on the SMS button to mark it read.

FAQ:

-I'M NOT ROOTED AFTER FLASHING MIUI!

This is a common issue for people new to MIUI. The solution is to open the Superuser app that is normally in a folder called "tools", click the options soft key, click the setting button, and turn "ROOT permission" to ON.

-AFTER RESTORING SOME OF MY APPS THAT REQUIRE ROOT AREN'T WORKING!

This issue happened to me after restoring with MIUI's built in restore/backup app. My Wireless Tether and Titanium Backup apps kept claiming I wasn't rooted, while SetCPU worked fine. To fix this issue simply uninstall the non-working apps and re-install the app from the original source (i.e. Android Market) or restore it without data.

-I CAN'T DOWNLOAD FROM THE ANDROID MARKET, INSUFFICIENT STORAGE?!

This is what worked for me and hopefully it will also work for you too...

1). Boot into recovery
    2). Enter the "Advanced" menu
    3). Select "Wipe Dalvik Cache"
    4). Reboot

Still having the issue? Check out this thread.

-MY PHONE WON'T CHARGE OVER 97%!

Try re-calibrating the battery. See the above section marked "RECONDITION YOUR BATTERY".

-"Move to External SD" popup?!

Here is the solution, use root explorer and move entire contents from "data/sdcard" to "sdcard"
    Also delete "07internalsd" file from /system/etc/init.d
    haha, thanks for checking with me and the credit... I was a little surprised at just how closely this resembled by guide (and are those my files on sourceforge?)... but regardless, anything to help the community, I applaud you for helping people out... definitely no issue using my guide/links man.

In fact, I would applaud others to try and be this helpful.