Those who had/have gs4 Google play edition

Search This thread

md1008

Dec 9, 2011
I love my Nexus 5 no real complaints with battery I was just wondering though if anyone here has had or have GS4 GPE? If so how smooth is the phone compared to the N5? Was thinking of trading this in for my GF GS4 and loading a GPE ROM onto it and either buying an extended battery or buying a few OEM batteries. Coming from the Note 2 maybe I am just spoiled. This is not a rant or anything I knew the battery was non replaceable and knew the battery was significantly less than than the N2. I am just assessing if buying a battery pack for the N5 or swapping this for a s4 would be best for me. I know this is subjective just wondering what each individual experience was/is.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
The Gs4 battery isn't as good as you might think and the Gpe version is even less efficient.

The N5 battery is smaller, powers a faster SoC and gets longer battery life under equal testing conditions. None of the people I know with S4's can get my 6 hours SoT without even flashing anything, for example.

http://anandtech.com/show/7517/google-nexus-5-review/3

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: md1008

ViciousMo

Dec 2, 2012
I had a GS4 with GPE 4.4.2 ROM loaded stock kernel. After rooting and installing a new ROM, my battery life is roughly the same on both phones. I just don't have an SD card anymore.

Reactions: md1008

md1008

Dec 9, 2011
Thank you, the appeal I guess is that the battery is removable so I could use an extended battery or just swap them out on the fly

md1008

Dec 9, 2011
The Gs4 battery isn't as good as you might think and the Gpe version is even less efficient.

The N5 battery is smaller, powers a faster SoC and gets longer battery life under equal testing conditions. None of the people I know with S4's can get my 6 hours SoT without even flashing anything, for example.

Are you saying gs4 ran better with touchwiz or that it's not as efficient as the nexus 5?

I don't mind touchwiz on the note but on the "S" series it's just bloat and a bunch of crap apps and features I don't use

laureanop

Aug 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I had an S4 for six months and I ran GPE for most of that time. SOT is better on the N5 due to the fact that the amoled sucks up a lot of juice. With the same usage and apps I could squeeze about 5:15 on the s4 and 615 on the n5. Off screen battery was the same.
I was happy with both phones.

jev3gs

Nov 15, 2008
Cary, IL
When I ran my S4 with a GPE ROM it was quick, just not as quick as the Nexus 5. The S4 just seemed to lag more than the N5 does. The GPE is smoother than a regular S4 but by not that much. I ended up giving my S4 to my wife so I can get the N5. The N5 just feels quicker and smoother. I feel it has to be the graphics card.

maxpower7

May 2, 2011
The N5 is faster and smoother than any other Android device I've ever used, and I've used a lot of them. As a former S4 user, the N5 blows it out of the water (even running the GPE rom on the S4).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I had a GS4 with GPE 4.4.2 ROM loaded stock kernel. After rooting and installing a new ROM, my battery life is roughly the same on both phones. I just don't have an SD card anymore.