4.3 and Sim Unlock

Search This thread

DizDroid

Sep 8, 2010
Been reading the forums and realize it is not possible to go from 4.3 back to 4.1.1 to unlock via service menu.

My question is this, if I root 4.3 can the phone be Sim unlocked that way? I'm asking on behalf of some coworkers.

Thanks for reading.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

DizDroid

Sep 8, 2010
50+ views? Some one has to know something!!

Sent from my GT-I9505G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

xSharpi

Apr 17, 2013
San Diego
In not trying to say anything but i have downgraded on the AT&T S3 from 4.3 to 4.1.1/4.1.2/4.2.1 Os wise. I did it through Odin but to not use any bootloaders. I learned the first time and bricked but gladly im the end had an unlocked S³

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA
In not trying to say anything but i have downgraded on the AT&T S3 from 4.3 to 4.1.1/4.1.2/4.2.1 Os wise. I did it through Odin but to not use any bootloaders. I learned the first time and bricked but gladly im the end had an unlocked S³

Could you kindly share the detailed steps you took to do this for everyone's learning and benefit. Thanks

xSharpi

Apr 17, 2013
San Diego
Could you kindly share the detailed steps you took to do this for everyone's learning and benefit. Thanks

So I haven't been on a S3 for a little while but I do remember. In fact if you want to downgrade the AT&T S3 (SGH-I717) from 4.3 to lower firmwares such as 4.1.1 for free unlocking download this: http://terafile.co/407413755110/I747UCDLK3_I747ATTDLK3_I747UCDLK3_HOME.zip which will be the stock 4.1.1 ROM. I REPEAT DO NOT FLASH ANY BOOTLOADERS AS IT WILL RESULT IN A HARDBRICK!!! THE ZIP ONLY CONTAINS THE OS SO YOU'RE GOOD. You'll need Odin, I prefer 3.07 because the new 3.09 changes the button names. You can download Odin from here: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1168421&d=1341114315

Alright so on to the downgrading. (this will wipe everything so back up before hand)
"I'm not held responsible for any damage to your device. You have been WARNED"

1. Turn off the device and go into download mode by holding the power button and volume up, you should be greeted with some description press volume up to continue
2. Plug your device into your computer and open Odin.
3. Click PDA and search for the ROM you dowloaded. (Make sure you extract the ROM out of its zip form to get the .tar)
4. One selected in PDA press start and sit back and enjoy your free unlock:) this can be used for any stock OS just remember to not flash any bootloaders

Side Note: It takes a while to flash and also reboot. If the phone doesn't reboot do a factory reset through the recovery and it should boot. I believe this will also work for other variants of the S3 as long as you have the right stock image

Last edited:

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
So I haven't been on a S3 for a little while but I do remember. In fact if you want to downgrade the AT&T S3 (SGH-I717) from 4.3 to lower firmwares such as 4.1.1 for free unlocking download this: http://terafile.co/407413755110/I747UCDLK3_I747ATTDLK3_I747UCDLK3_HOME.zip which will be the stock 4.1.1 ROM. I REPEAT DO NOT FLASH ANY BOOTLOADERS AS IT WILL RESULT IN A HARDBRICK!!! THE ZIP ONLY CONTAINS THE OS SO YOU'RE GOOD. You'll need Odin, I prefer 3.07 because the new 3.09 changes the button names. You can download Odin from here: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1168421&d=1341114315

Alright so on to the downgrading. (this will wipe everything so back up before hand)
"I'm not held responsible for any damage to your device. You have been WARNED"

1. Turn off the device and go into download mode by holding the power button and volume up, you should be greeted with some description press volume up to continue
2. Plug your device into your computer and open Odin.
3. Click PDA and search for the ROM you dowloaded. (Make sure you extract the ROM out of its zip form to get the .tar)
4. One selected in PDA press start and sit back and enjoy your free unlock:) this can be used for any stock OS just remember to not flash any bootloaders

Side Note: It takes a while to flash and also reboot. If the phone doesn't reboot do a factory reset through the recovery and it should boot. I believe this will also work for other variants of the S3 as long as you have the right stock image

Do you remove the bootloader from the tar file by deleting it from the file to be flashed via Odin?

jub2k3

Sep 4, 2010
Good Question

That is a Good question Audit. I second that as I am also interested in the answer to that.

Last edited:

COfatboy

Dec 31, 2011
Don't waste your time with this if you are looking to sim unlock. You can downgrade the software version from 4.3 to 4.1 but you still will not have the ability to unlock on the new boot loader, as stated above downgrading the boot loader will hard brick your device. I've spent hours trying to find a way and it's not possible right now, If you are on the latest boot loader you will not be able to unlock regardless of software version.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There is no way to unlock on 4.3 unless you get an unlock code.