[SOLVED!](Q) Help! Phone showing it's charging when unplugged...

Search This thread

masterkamon842

Jul 3, 2011
New York
Since this morning my phone says it's charging when in fact it's unplugged. I tried cleaning the charging port, wiping cache, full wiping and reinstalling the rom, everything and don't understand why it'll never get off charging state.

I do check in settings while unplugged it says not charging and when plugged in says charging, but it's stuck saying "on battery for 23 min" and the icon never stops from charging....

Any suggestions? It's really annoying... Never had a single problem with my One S... :(

SOLUTION: Clean the charger port with a hard pointed object (that's what she said), make sure you clean and dirt or particles from underneath the middle piece in the charger port.
Also, if you notice the middle piece is too close or making contact with the bottom, use the pointed object to CAREFULLY bend it up a little.

Do all this while the phone is off and battery out. Use compressed air if available. if you wet it then completely dry it before putting the battery back in.

Last edited:

RedBlueGreen

Feb 26, 2011
London
something like this happened to me about 2weeks ago.
It would say saying/ disconnected none stop.. if i didnt notice it would of burned my screen.
I just turned the phone off and removed the battery

xternal

Jan 3, 2007
There is already a thread on this which has some useful info:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1427539It ranges from yep your charging port is f*cked :(or it just needs a clean and little tweak. :)

To get mine fixed I gave it blast with compressed air and a little needle to make sure all the lint/gunk was out of the port. I made sure the port was straight (if it looks like it is bent downwards slightly, try and pop it back up softly). Then what fixed it for me is to hit it with a little electrical contact cleaner.
I have a feeling the port was getting shorted by something as each of the pins on the microusb port are very close.

Hope that helps

zuberio

Sep 20, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Interesting - I'll have to keep an eye out for something like this on my phone.

I guess first step is the compressed air blast with a needle cleaning of the port. If that doesn't work then on to Samsung to see if they'll honor a warranty repair (outlook not good on this - apparently they claim water damage). Worst case you can get a replacement OEM charging cable off ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Charge-...440?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33746d1eb8

And fix the faulty part yourself or have someone you trust do it.

[EDIT] here's a link to ifixit for step by step instructions on how to take your phone apart http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Samsung-Galaxy-Nexus-Teardown/7182/1#.T7pzI8XdOII

Last edited:

masterkamon842

Jul 3, 2011
New York
Thanks to all the suggestions, it does the same thing even after wiping, installing other roms or going back to stock. I tried cleaning it with a toothbrush but will try with a toothpick or something stronger. Will give updates once I do.

xternal

Jan 3, 2007
I would suggest the electrical contact cleaner is going to be a good bet too. If it is water damage, it could just be a bit of water has gotten in there (from a table, rain etc) and then when its dried impurities could be shorting the plug.
I am not sure what stores in the states have it (maybe bestbuy?), but we have an electronic store here called Jaycar which sells it. You could even just slip in and give it a quick spray in the isle.
Turn the phone off before doing it, and make sure it is ECC!

masterkamon842

Jul 3, 2011
New York
Fixed! It was the charger port. All i did was clean it out with a metal pointed object. I also noticed the middle piece was touching the bottom edge. It could've been making false contact. So i bent it up just a little and voila problem solved.

Hopefully this thread may further serve as future reference. Thanks everyone for your help! :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: sHaHiN786

rickbosch

Mar 3, 2011
Cape Town
I know I don't have a Galaxy Nexus, but the Nexus S can also suffer from the same problem. I believe it's because of the USB ports that are the same.

Inside the USB port of the phone there is a flat plate which slides into the wall charger/USB cable, I've noticed that when this is "bent" down it will show that it's charging when it isn't, so all you need to do is to find something (I used the tip of the missus'one plastic nail file) to "bend" it up about a millimetre or two and all should be fine.

Worked for me, so I thought I would try to help out here because I know how infuriating it can be.

skitty

Jul 17, 2005
I had this problem a couple of weeks ago. I also had issues with being unable to connect my phone to a computer. I contacted Samsung, explained my issue and they sent me packaging to send it away. It took me 45 mins to get the computer to recognise my phone to return it to stock, but i managed it. I then wrote a nice little letter explaining the issue, that others also had the issue and that I recommended changing the whole charging board.
I got it back a week later and lo and behold, they'd taken my advice and fitted a new charging board. Now it might just be me, but the inside of the micro USB port looks slightly different. I just can't put my finger on why.

julllleee

Apr 7, 2012
Hi, I had this problem but i sprayed "metal cleaner" on a toothbrush and wiped the contact and now it works fine again :3

DualDark

Jul 29, 2012
This happened to me yesterday. First the phone doesnt charge, it was at 25%, After that i charged it with phone turned off, then turned on and battery whas 50% but still not charging. Turned off again, plugged the charger and it looks like was chargin, when i turned on again it was at 12%, like the charger just discharge it xD. After that the problem began, the battery icon shows like charging when unplugged....

Looks like i managed to clean it with a needle, now the chargin notification is gone, and i can transfer files via USB to my laptop, but still i cant charge with AC :-/

And when i plug the usb cable, the notification icon comes again :-/

masterkamon842

Jul 3, 2011
New York
After some time my charge port started giving me issues again. I tried messing around with it but all I did was break it. Eventually I bought a replacement flex cable and ended up installing it myself. Very easy to do. Looked up a video on YouTube and in 10 minutes my phone was charging again.

Reactions: Petrovski80

n-0-s

Mar 2, 2012
I had to replace my micro usb charging port

When my phone wouldnt stop charging after being disconnected i ended up solving the issue by going here for the part and tools which is $5 posted.

ebay(dot)com.au/itm/Replacement-Charger-Port-Flex-Cable-Tools-Samsung-i9250-Galaxy-Nexus-GQFC441-/180922260932?pt=AU_MobilePhoneAccessories&hash=item2a1fce9dc4#ht_1368wt_1014[/url]

And i used this guide to pull my nexus apart.

ifixit(dot)com/Guide/Repairing-Samsung-Galaxy-Nexus-Micro-USB-Charge-Port/9641/1[/url]

Just be very careful on step 6 "Some have reported the cable is soldered to the mainboard. This was not the case on this CDMA version. It may be soldered in newer revisions or the GSM model."

I broke my volume down because the guide didnt have a warning !

I hope this might help anyone else who is having problems :)

n-0-s

El Daddy

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2008
Roseville, MN
After some time my charge port started giving me issues again. I tried messing around with it but all I did was break it. Eventually I bought a replacement flex cable and ended up installing it myself. Very easy to do. Looked up a video on YouTube and in 10 minutes my phone was charging again.

Could you link the video you used to help replace the flex cable. I can't seem to find one. Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since this morning my phone says it's charging when in fact it's unplugged. I tried cleaning the charging port, wiping cache, full wiping and reinstalling the rom, everything and don't understand why it'll never get off charging state.

I do check in settings while unplugged it says not charging and when plugged in says charging, but it's stuck saying "on battery for 23 min" and the icon never stops from charging....

Any suggestions? It's really annoying... Never had a single problem with my One S... :(

SOLUTION: Clean the charger port with a hard pointed object (that's what she said), make sure you clean and dirt or particles from underneath the middle piece in the charger port.
    Also, if you notice the middle piece is too close or making contact with the bottom, use the pointed object to CAREFULLY bend it up a little.

Do all this while the phone is off and battery out. Use compressed air if available. if you wet it then completely dry it before putting the battery back in.
    Fixed! It was the charger port. All i did was clean it out with a metal pointed object. I also noticed the middle piece was touching the bottom edge. It could've been making false contact. So i bent it up just a little and voila problem solved.

Hopefully this thread may further serve as future reference. Thanks everyone for your help! :)

Could you link the video you used to help replace the flex cable. I can't seem to find one. Thanks!

This is one of the 2 videos I used as reference. The other one should be in related videos, but it's pretty much the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sD6LRfJHSk

I also used this site.
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...hAU5-YHhywJeGgfqw&sig2=ebn-WtvFb1NLBe2yI6qEeg