[Q] Bootloop, Unable to mount '/cache', '/persist', storage

Search This thread
Dec 4, 2012
ditto

I'm having this same issue as we speak. It seems people on this thread have the same exact issue:

productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/q5K6fefs2Gg

Details: 4.2.2 rooted, no custom rom. I *think* I saw a notification that I was running low on storage when I looked at my phone on desk, few minutes later got stuck in the boot loop.

Have tried flashing to stock, nothing has worked.

Would really, really like to avoid RMA. :(

Simonna

Apr 8, 2013
I'm having this same issue as we speak. It seems people on this thread have the same exact issue:

Details: 4.2.2 rooted, no custom rom. I *think* I saw a notification that I was running low on storage when I looked at my phone on desk, few minutes later got stuck in the boot loop.

What method did you use for rooting?

Trel

Apr 20, 2010

Try this

First from fastboot, flash the stock cache.img
then do what's described here
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2577447

I recently ran into a very similar issue and this fixed it for me.

Dec 4, 2012
Try this

First from fastboot, flash the stock cache.img
then do what's described here
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2577447

I recently ran into a very similar issue and this fixed it for me.

Thanks for the links everyone has posted. I'll continue the research.

Biggest problem is you say to flash the stock cache.img, but I get

FAILED <remote: flash write failure>

everytime I attempt to flash anything, which I very much hope isn't a busted emmc. :(

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

What method did you use for rooting?

WugFresh Nexus Root Toolkit v1.8.0

I've used his Toolkit to root my Nexus 4 when I first bought it (on release day) and never had problems.

Rooted my Nexus 5 when I bought it in Nov 2013 and everything was flawless until now.

That storage shortage notification keeps haunting me as the cause for all this mess.

V

VaccaThreeSixteen

Thanks for the links everyone has posted. I'll continue the research.

Biggest problem is you say to flash the stock cache.img, but I get

FAILED <remote: flash write failure>

everytime I attempt to flash anything, which I very much hope isn't a busted emmc. :(

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

WugFresh Nexus Root Toolkit v1.8.0

I've used his Toolkit to root my Nexus 4 when I first bought it (on release day) and never had problems.

Rooted my Nexus 5 when I bought it in Nov 2013 and everything was flawless until now.

That storage shortage notification keeps haunting me as the cause for all this mess.

Toolkits do more bad then good. Next time use something like cf auto root, super simple.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Uh_Andy

May 22, 2006
Just jumping in with a ditto to the op - the exact dang same thing... I'm suspecting something other than bad emmc memory since others are also seeing the this soon after the 5.1. update. Unable to repair, format, or factory reset from teamwin. Flashstock.bat just returns the same "FAILED (remote: flash write failure)" as the OP.

@GrayFox2154

Dec 9, 2014
I am having the same problem man..

Hi,

Today I woke up to my phone boot-looping after leaving it to charge overnight, despite it having run fine for close to a month (I have been running Cataclysm ROM and TWRP 2.6.4.3 since I got my Nexus 5).

After a long wait at the Google and Nexus logos, there's a system popup of 'Android is upgrading' present on the screen. However, right after completing the 'updating of apps', the system popup 'Media Storage has stopped working' appears and the phone immediately restarts again.

Upon booting into TWRP, it presents me with a password screen, which I have never encountered before. After pressing 'Cancel' though, I'm directed to the TWRP main menu.

Attempts to factory reset the phone resulted in:
Formatting cache using make_ext4fs function.
E: Unable to mount '/cache'
Updating partition details...
E: Unable to mount '/persist'
E: Unable to mount storage.

Checking through the phone's internal storage with TWRP's file manager showed my internal storage as (0MB) and that the sdcard folder was empty. Other folders such as system and sys had subfolders which also were displayed as empty, though I'm not sure if that would be the case on a normally functioning device.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks :)

EDIT: I tried restarting my phone again after posting and after spending a long period of time at the Nexus boot animation, the 'Android is upgrading' system popup now just flashes through a few messages before 'Unfortunately, Calendar has stopped working.' appears and the phone restarts. Not sure if this happened initially, or if this usually happens, but the phone loops from the Nexus boot animation.

Guys i know that this thread has been around for a while now,but i am facing a very similar problem with my Neuxs 5...

So the other day i was normally using it,and all of a sudden it got stuck in a boot loop, (more precisely on the lollipop dots animation), to try to fix it, i fix tried to wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache partitions from the stock recovery but still nothing works...

So i diced to do something a bit more hardcore, i flashed TWRP in and tried to wipe everything in advanced mode, still no sucsses.. I also tried to flash the latest 5.1.1 factory image,but again got stuck in boot loop..

Yesterday i did a test and flashed 4.4.4 kit kat stock factory image and the phone did boot up, but i can't open any internal storgae related apps like, camera,gallery and google play store, also when i plug the phone via usb on my computer (LINUX 15.10 by the way) i can't see those normal folders like ANDROID / DCIM / MUSIC / etc... The same happend with CYANOGEN 11.0 kit kat...

So, the thing is, i suspect the sdcard or storage partitions got messed up somehow, since i can do do almost every thing in the phone except download apps, in the moment, my device is rooted ( installed super su through TWRP) and running 4.4.4 stock android...

Can someone PLEASE HELP ME, i am desperated since i live in Brazil, and the device has no awaranty anymore... I do have some skill with ADB and Android, so fell free to say some advanced stuff..

Thanks in advance,and sorry for my bad english :)

akosiberber

Dec 21, 2012
Angeles City
this will help

Hi,

Today I woke up to my phone boot-looping after leaving it to charge overnight, despite it having run fine for close to a month (I have been running Cataclysm ROM and TWRP 2.6.4.3 since I got my Nexus 5).

After a long wait at the Google and Nexus logos, there's a system popup of 'Android is upgrading' present on the screen. However, right after completing the 'updating of apps', the system popup 'Media Storage has stopped working' appears and the phone immediately restarts again.

Upon booting into TWRP, it presents me with a password screen, which I have never encountered before. After pressing 'Cancel' though, I'm directed to the TWRP main menu.

Attempts to factory reset the phone resulted in:
Formatting cache using make_ext4fs function.
Updating partition details...
E: Unable to mount '/persist'
E: Unable to mount storage.

Checking through the phone's internal storage with TWRP's file manager showed my internal storage as (0MB) and that the sdcard folder was empty. Other folders such as system and sys had subfolders which also were displayed as empty, though I'm not sure if that would be the case on a normally functioning device.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks :)

EDIT: I tried restarting my phone again after posting and after spending a long period of time at the Nexus boot animation, the 'Android is upgrading' system popup now just flashes through a few messages before 'Unfortunately, Calendar has stopped working.' appears and the phone restarts. Not sure if this happened initially, or if this usually happens, but the phone loops from the Nexus boot animation.

this will help a lot!
http://xdaforums.com/google-nexus-5/help/nexus-5-stuck-boot-loop-lollipop-t3098632

Top Liked Posts