Is the Padfone X a good buy?

Search This thread

teeth_03

Dec 8, 2011
I'm thinking about getting one, to replace an Atrix HD and Nexus 7 3G 2012.

The concept sound cool, and the price is nice on contract, I'm just wondering how people feel about the execution after some weeks of ownership.

rlridgeway

Mar 5, 2011

The concept sound cool, and the price is nice on contract, I'm just wondering how people feel about the execution after some weeks of ownership.

If you are in need of a new phone and new tablet the padfone X can be a good option. Just remember the tablet does not work without the phone attached to it. Some see this a blessing, others a curse. Personally I like the setup, I do not have to sync two separate devices and the cost is great. Others need to have have two separate devices that can each operate on its own.

The phone part of the Padfone X works just fine by itself and is high quality. Call quality is good, people do not realize they are on speakerphone even when the phone is docked into the pad.

The pad is a little on the heavy side and with its 1inch bezel looks somewhat old school, but what it lacks in form it makes up in function. It works great as a tablet. Both the screen on phone and pad are vibrant and responsive. I have not ran across any phone apps that do not work well while in the tablet mode. You can make calls and text while the phone is docked. Some reviewers have complained about some apps not transitioning well when the phone is being docked or undocked. This has not been really been an issue for me as I usually do not need app to transfer. I usually just close an app then remove the phone. The call and text apps seem to transition well.

The slot which holds the phone into the pad protudes from the back a bit. This a slight annoyance as the pad is a little unstable sitting flat on a flat surface. But the phone is held real securely in the pad while at the same time being easy the insert or remove.

The camera is pretty sweet. It work fast and the color is good.

The speaker volume is adequate but I would liked just a bit louder. That being said, I have yet to install a volume booster.

If someone was needing only a phone, perhaps another high-end phone would be a better option. If someone is in the market for both a tablet and phone, I would give the Padphone X a good look.

NH2G

Mar 1, 2011

So far, I am loving mine. My only concern is it currently does not work with ART. This could mean no Android L for us, but the ART is fairly new and I am sure ASUS will update their system apps to work with the new runtime. Other than that, its fantastic. Android wear support, fast, decent storage, SD card slot, amazing battery life with the dock. I bought this a bit impulsively, but I do not regret it in the least. The design of both the phone and dock are a bit on the bland side, but they are in no way ugly, and the displays are impressive, so they look nice. Really, it comes down to you. Go to an AT&T store and try one on display.

electroau

Nov 20, 2009
What are the rom options?

Sent from my ASUS PadFone X using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Demazda

Jan 29, 2013
Montpellier
None, for now.

But there's a xda forum and it's out in the US so I think there will be choices later, unlike previous PadFones which are stuck to stock roms.

Reactions: bsc7080xsc

zackzuse

May 1, 2011
Saginaw
Should i keep it?

Well, I've had this phone almost 12 days...soon is last call to return it if I don't want it.

The main selling point was the tablet mode. My stepson broke my Android tablet and my Windows PC tablet was less functional than my HTC One m7. I frequently use Office 365 sharepoint, Ring Central, Google Voice, and telephone. Bigger screen with functional app makes the day much nicer.

And the hardware and camera seemed comparable.

I don't like the "glitchieness" I've run into running different default messaging apps and launchers. I also get a lag with multiple processes running, even when limiting processes in developer options and when using a task killer.

I also like to try different roms and change the appearance a lot. I don't know how to contribute to this much besides donation.

So I'm kinda thinking about a big screen phone like a Note or the LG Curve...whichever has more developer interest.

Anybody regret their purchase or would choose a different phone is they were me?

rlridgeway

Mar 5, 2011
Well, I've had this phone almost 12 days...soon is last call to return it if I don't want it.

The main selling point was the tablet mode. My stepson broke my Android tablet and my Windows PC tablet was less functional than my HTC One m7. I frequently use Office 365 sharepoint, Ring Central, Google Voice, and telephone. Bigger screen with functional app makes the day much nicer.

And the hardware and camera seemed comparable.

I don't like the "glitchieness" I've run into running different default messaging apps and launchers. I also get a lag with multiple processes running, even when limiting processes in developer options and when using a task killer.

I also like to try different roms and change the appearance a lot. I don't know how to contribute to this much besides donation.

So I'm kinda thinking about a big screen phone like a Note or the LG Curve...whichever has more developer interest.

Anybody regret their purchase or would choose a different phone is they were me?

I do not regret my decision to keep the Padfone X but it meets my needs. My Padfone does not have the glitchiness you have encountered.
Your needs seem to be more demanding and perhaps a separate phone and tablet are in order.
On a related note, I have rarely regretted my decision after returning an item.

zackzuse

May 1, 2011
Saginaw
Well, late last night I got bored and got adventurous. I wiped the phone, salt super su, installed TWRP. I have actually not had a problem this time. It's running apex launcher, thumb keyboard, some widgets and live wallpaper and its working fine. Knock on wood.

The only thing I did different this time was installing the recovery and I didn't go into the developer settings and turn the animation of.

Sent from my ASUS PadFone X using XDA Free mobile app

zackzuse

May 1, 2011
Saginaw
Whenever I dictate text, and any app, if a word is underlined and I tap it to pick a different word, whatever app I am using crashes.

zackzuse

May 1, 2011
Saginaw
And oh boy... the frustration of dictating a whole work email, & then forgetting and the thing crashing and having to start all over again!

Last edited:

8125Omnimax

Jul 1, 2006
New York City
And oh boy... the frustration of dictating a whole work email, & then forgetting and the thing crashing and having to start all over again!

Give it about another week before updates start rolling out, ASUS has been pretty good with updates and addressing glitches with previous devices.

dareiflash

Jun 26, 2013
Received my Padfone S and it downloaded 3 updates already

Sent from my ASUS_T00N using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

How is your Padfone S going? I'm looking to get that model specifically over the X. Basically, of what I've heard of the phone, at best it's above average, and at worst, still just above average, haha. So, fairly mediocre in its reviews. Do you find it to be the same?

hpcorona

Jan 2, 2012
Mexicali
How is your Padfone S going? I'm looking to get that model specifically over the X. Basically, of what I've heard of the phone, at best it's above average, and at worst, still just above average, haha. So, fairly mediocre in its reviews. Do you find it to be the same?

To be honest... it does have some issues but updates are being pushed very fast... today i received a 250 mb update.

Sometimes the home button doesnt responds for a few seconds, and stuff like that.

But i am very satisfied with it. My battery combined with the station is great on moderate to lot of usage... i watched 6 twitch dota 2 matches over 4g on the phone alone, then watched 3 more on wifi with tablet mode... 24 hours later the phone alone had still 30%, and that felt great.

The phone is fast almost 99% of the time, and at least the camera is a big upgrade for me (had a Moto X).

Tablet mode is great but beware, the phone does become a little loose and touch sensitivity is totally lost on some areas of the screen, so you must keep ensuring that the phone is properly in place if you move a lot. Just ensure the phone in proper place and it works great.

So far, i am very happy with the phone... i usually buy flagships (htc one, moto x) and right now i dont want to use another, i love this one.

Several glitches have been resolved so i am counting on ASUS to fix the rest.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: dareiflash

davietr

Oct 7, 2010
Orlando, FL
Finally talked my wife into getting a smartphone. She didn't like using my phone and protested saying she would hate a smartphone. To complicated and hard to understand. I bought her the Padfone X. Started her off on the tablet which made the transition to the phone easier for her to understand. She hasn't put the thing down since. She loves it and shows it off to everyone. Everyone we have shown it to wants one. It's not a perfect device but it is a long way from being a crappy device. I would happily recommend this device.

teeth_03

Dec 8, 2011
just ordered mine off Amazon for $99

sounds like a good buy to me, even if the Station turns out to be crap

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

If you are in need of a new phone and new tablet the padfone X can be a good option. Just remember the tablet does not work without the phone attached to it. Some see this a blessing, others a curse. Personally I like the setup, I do not have to sync two separate devices and the cost is great. Others need to have have two separate devices that can each operate on its own.

The phone part of the Padfone X works just fine by itself and is high quality. Call quality is good, people do not realize they are on speakerphone even when the phone is docked into the pad.

The pad is a little on the heavy side and with its 1inch bezel looks somewhat old school, but what it lacks in form it makes up in function. It works great as a tablet. Both the screen on phone and pad are vibrant and responsive. I have not ran across any phone apps that do not work well while in the tablet mode. You can make calls and text while the phone is docked. Some reviewers have complained about some apps not transitioning well when the phone is being docked or undocked. This has not been really been an issue for me as I usually do not need app to transfer. I usually just close an app then remove the phone. The call and text apps seem to transition well.

The slot which holds the phone into the pad protudes from the back a bit. This a slight annoyance as the pad is a little unstable sitting flat on a flat surface. But the phone is held real securely in the pad while at the same time being easy the insert or remove.

The camera is pretty sweet. It work fast and the color is good.

The speaker volume is adequate but I would liked just a bit louder. That being said, I have yet to install a volume booster.

If someone was needing only a phone, perhaps another high-end phone would be a better option. If someone is in the market for both a tablet and phone, I would give the Padphone X a good look.
    None, for now.

But there's a xda forum and it's out in the US so I think there will be choices later, unlike previous PadFones which are stuck to stock roms.

To be honest... it does have some issues but updates are being pushed very fast... today i received a 250 mb update.

Sometimes the home button doesnt responds for a few seconds, and stuff like that.

But i am very satisfied with it. My battery combined with the station is great on moderate to lot of usage... i watched 6 twitch dota 2 matches over 4g on the phone alone, then watched 3 more on wifi with tablet mode... 24 hours later the phone alone had still 30%, and that felt great.

The phone is fast almost 99% of the time, and at least the camera is a big upgrade for me (had a Moto X).

Tablet mode is great but beware, the phone does become a little loose and touch sensitivity is totally lost on some areas of the screen, so you must keep ensuring that the phone is properly in place if you move a lot. Just ensure the phone in proper place and it works great.

So far, i am very happy with the phone... i usually buy flagships (htc one, moto x) and right now i dont want to use another, i love this one.

Several glitches have been resolved so i am counting on ASUS to fix the rest.

Hope this helps.