[Q] Edge and GPRS data connections abysmally slow on Moto G

Search This thread

larkim

May 22, 2013
I've been testing out the data speed connections with my Moto G on Tesco Mobile. When it is showing a HSDPA connection (H+) or UMTS (H, I think) or 3g (3G) data connection speeds are what I would expect.

But as soon as it drops to Edge (E) or GPRS (G) I get speeds so slow that practically no data is being passed - even with a full 4 bars of signal.

And I am well aware that Edge and GPRS are significantly slower than 3G and its superior data connections, but I'm talking less than 0.03Mbps speeds as measured by the Speedtest app. The speed is so slow that useful "out and about" apps like google maps refuse to recognise that there is an internet connection present.

I've raised this with the network and they say that for all of the cells that I've accessed data speeds shouldn't slow that much, and suggested it might be a faulty SIM (perhaps). But today on a different sim in another Moto G on a different network I experienced the same - Edge connection was connected, but practically non-existent.

Is this anyone else is experiencing, or am I just being really unlucky in the cells I am located in?

Thanks!

Matt

Akshay7273

Dec 22, 2013
techatpeak.com
I've been testing out the data speed connections with my Moto G on Tesco Mobile. When it is showing a HSDPA connection (H+) or UMTS (H, I think) or 3g (3G) data connection speeds are what I would expect.

But as soon as it drops to Edge (E) or GPRS (G) I get speeds so slow that practically no data is being passed - even with a full 4 bars of signal.

And I am well aware that Edge and GPRS are significantly slower than 3G and its superior data connections, but I'm talking less than 0.03Mbps speeds as measured by the Speedtest app. The speed is so slow that useful "out and about" apps like google maps refuse to recognise that there is an internet connection present.

I've raised this with the network and they say that for all of the cells that I've accessed data speeds shouldn't slow that much, and suggested it might be a faulty SIM (perhaps). But today on a different sim in another Moto G on a different network I experienced the same - Edge connection was connected, but practically non-existent.

Is this anyone else is experiencing, or am I just being really unlucky in the cells I am located in?

Thanks!

Matt

Yes, slow edge nd gprs sppeds experienced by you is possibly due to ur location....coz i get a decent edge speed as well as my friends too who r also using moto g.....So nothing is wrong in the phone it just depends uoon location....

Reactions: larkim

larkim

May 22, 2013
Yes, slow edge nd gprs sppeds experienced by you is possibly due to ur location....coz i get a decent edge speed as well as my friends too who r also using moto g.....So nothing is wrong in the phone it just depends uoon location....

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I don't think it is location as the problem seems to be consistent in every cell I am in. I've obtained a fresh sim from the network to see if that was the problem. Will post back with any further info!

Akshay7273

Dec 22, 2013
techatpeak.com
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I don't think it is location as the problem seems to be consistent in every cell I am in. I've obtained a fresh sim from the network to see if that was the problem. Will post back with any further info!

Well....do u have any friend who is using Moto G and getting same problem at that place??And by the way, Here in india some operators give faster 3g speeds but 2g speed sucks...So just like that it could be the operator's prblm too....First confirm if any of ur friends are getting better edge or gprs speeds.....Thanx

rmrbpt

Nov 4, 2011
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Thread subscribed.
On my old phones I was used to only use 2G (Edge or GPRS) networks in order to get one day of battery life. On my Windows Phone 7 device with an Edge connection it would sync emails, send and receive them and I could even browse (slowly) the internet.
On this one Edge is slow as ****. Furtunately H+ isnt that heavy on its battery as in order devices but when I get to places without a 3G connection the phone gets pretty much unusable, its a shame...

larkim

May 22, 2013
Thread subscribed.
On my old phones I was used to only use 2G (Edge or GPRS) networks in order to get one day of battery life. On my Windows Phone 7 device with an Edge connection it would sync emails, send and receive them and I could even browse (slowly) the internet.
On this one Edge is slow as ****. Furtunately H+ isnt that heavy on its battery as in order devices but when I get to places without a 3G connection the phone gets pretty much unusable, its a shame...

Interesting. For the full story:-
I have a Moto G with Virgin (MVNO in the UK using the EE network), and have had for about 5 months. Love it. Never had an issue with data speed on any of the "flavours" (obviously GPRS and Edge are slower, but useable as you say). I've just persuaded my wife to take a Moto G too, but she is on the TescoMobile network (MVNO in the UK using the O2 network). I obviously don't expect our experience with data speed to be identical, but she has only had the phone for a week or so and she reported to me last week that it seemed that data was turned off so she couldn't use maps when she was driving to get some travel time updates. When I looked at the phone at home, it was all fine - and at home both of us get H+ signals throughout most of the house (when wifi turned off). On playing a little more, I noticed that in one room of the house the signal dropped consistently to Edge, and when testing data speed there I noticed the slow (unusable) speed. I swapped the sim into my phone (which was a sim free purchase, so unlocked) and got the same issue. I've then subsequently tested data speeds when we've been out and about in different cell locations, and consistently when she is on Edge or GPRS the data drops off a cliff. HSDPA is always fine.

Then yesterday I was out and about just with my own phone in an Edge area, and I also got the same experience - unusable Edge data speeds (bear in mind this is now on my network, Virgin). Now, I've only had this once, but I am wondering if the 4.4.4 update has slowed Edge / GPRS performance, as the common factor across both my phone and my wife's is that they have only just been updated to 4.4.4

If no-one else here is experiencing the same, then clearly it is just local signal issues, but it does seem peculiar that both phones, on different networks and in different physical locations (up to 30 miles away) appear to be experiencing something similar.

Both phones are on 210.12.40.falcon_umts / 4.4.4

larkim

May 22, 2013
I've just found something to try. Won't be for everyone, but using the "hidden" phone menu via *#*#4636#*#* > phone information and setting preferred network type to "WCDMA only" I can at least force the phone to ONLY use a 3G connection. Whether that will leave me with no signal in areas where I'd like to have a signal I'll wait and see, but I could at least switch manually back to 2G if I found myself down a dark country lane with no 3G signal. Perhaps an option only for the tech-enthusiast, wouldn't want my wife to be relying on this if her car broke down in the wrong end of town!!

rmrbpt

Nov 4, 2011
Google Pixel 7 Pro
It may be a work around, but I can't possibly rely on that since being unreachable isn't acceptable for me.
Let me add that I experience these "issue" since I can remember, so definitely 4.4.4 wasn't the culprit...

larkim

May 22, 2013
It may be a work around, but I can't possibly rely on that since being unreachable isn't acceptable for me.
Let me add that I experience these "issue" since I can remember, so definitely 4.4.4 wasn't the culprit...
There is an option "WCDMA preferred" which may (I know nothing about this!) set a preference for a stronger reliance on 3G services rather than 2G. It's very easy to set up and switch, worth a little experiment if you get into an area where you are suffering with a slow 2G service.

Reactions: rmrbpt

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks!

Matt

There is an option "WCDMA preferred" which may (I know nothing about this!) set a preference for a stronger reliance on 3G services rather than 2G. It's very easy to set up and switch, worth a little experiment if you get into an area where you are suffering with a slow 2G service.