[Q] Prime on rooted KF HD

Search This thread

pachi81

Feb 6, 2009
Hi,

I bought the first version of the Kindle Fire HD (7"). I like to root it for using Google Play Store on it.

I have red, that it is possible to root the KF and to use all the prime features (videos and e-books) without any restriction.
Is this still right? Which custom ROMs support the prime features, too? (Kinology?)

Thank you!

Regards, Michel

Bao289

Mar 23, 2014
Hi,

I bought the first version of the Kindle Fire HD (7"). I like to root it for using Google Play Store on it.

I have red, that it is possible to root the KF and to use all the prime features (videos and e-books) without any restriction.
Is this still right? Which custom ROMs support the prime features, too? (Kinology?)

Thank you!

Regards, Michel

Kinology should work as it's based on the Kindle rom, but i am not 100% sure as i never tried kinology. However Cm11 rom works for books games and music but not prime video. I just watch prime videos on my laptop. Cm11 has the android 4.4.4 and overall i think it's really good.
I hope you are talking about the 2012 Kindle fire hd 7'' version though?

you can see for your self the cm11 rom by Hascode: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2543455

bao,

pachi81

Feb 6, 2009
However Cm11 rom works for books games and music but not prime video. I just watch prime videos on my laptop. Cm11 has the android 4.4.4 and overall i think it's really good.
I hope you are talking about the 2012 Kindle fire hd 7'' version though?

Hello and thank you for your response!

CM11 is no option for me at the moment, because I bought the tablet to use prime instant video and have access to the free prime ebooks (with the normal kindle app, you do not have access to them).

So I like to know, if all the prime stuff is working after root the original rom and if it works with the kinology rom?

Yes I own the first version oder kindle fire hd 7" with cam and hdmi output.

Thank you!

Bao289

Mar 23, 2014
Hello and thank you for your response!

CM11 is no option for me at the moment, because I bought the tablet to use prime instant video and have access to the free prime ebooks (with the normal kindle app, you do not have access to them).

So I like to know, if all the prime stuff is working after root the original rom and if it works with the kinology rom?

Yes I own the first version oder kindle fire hd 7" with cam and hdmi output.

Thank you!

Hi! If you root your Kindle Fire you will still have access to the apps and prime videos and books. I have done this and i can verify it works. However not having used kinology i can't say for sure but it is likely that it should work as well!

pachi81

Feb 6, 2009
Hi! If you root your Kindle Fire you will still have access to the apps and prime videos and books. I have done this and i can verify it works. However not having used kinology i can't say for sure but it is likely that it should work as well!

Thank you very much! This is exact the information I´m looking for.
At the moment I only want to use the original ROM. Maybe later I will check Kinology...

Cheers!

pachi81

Feb 6, 2009
Hi! just to let you know rooting voids your warranty! :)

Yes I know, but I bought a used one, so there is only a few time of warranty left...

Btw., is it possible to reset the device to the manufacturer settings, if I do not use a custom rom (only root)? (I have red about unroot, but nothing about reset)

Last edited:

Bao289

Mar 23, 2014
Yes I know, but I bought a used one, so there is only a few time of warranty left...

Btw., is it possible to reset the device to the manufacturer settings, if I do not use a custom rom (only root)? (I have red about unroot, but nothing about reset)

Yes you can do a factory reset. This will unroot your device and get rid of all the media (apps, music etc) and settings will turn back to normal.
However doing this you WON'T renew your warranty. But the benefits are clearing cache!

To reset your device got to : Settings - Device - Reset to Factory Defaults Then there should be a pop up and it will ask if you are sure.
If you want reset click "YES".

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest

If your stock root then leave WiFi on and Amazon will push an OTA update out and your tablet will update.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running Paranoid Android 4.4.4 using XDA premium 4 mobile app

pachi81

Feb 6, 2009
If your stock root then leave WiFi on and Amazon will push an OTA update out and your tablet will update.

Thank you for the information! Is it possible to force the OTA update?
The Google Play Store updated some apps, unfortunately the amazon music app, too.
Now it doesn´t work and I need a way to get the original one (either as apk or from reinstall). The factory reset does not help :(

pachi81

Feb 6, 2009
Thank you for the information! Is it possible to force the OTA update?
The Google Play Store updated some apps, unfortunately the amazon music app, too.
Now it doesn´t work and I need a way to get the original one (either as apk or from reinstall). The factory reset does not help :(

Problem is solved! I downloaded the firmware from the amazon page, added the extension ".zip", opened it and took the amazonmp3_unsigned.apk from system/app folder, copied it to my kindle fire HD and replaced the apk on it.
Now all works like expected :)