[TUT][CDMA]ROM randomly rebooting? Here are some fixes! (BACK IN BUSINESS!!! :D)

Opinion time: Should this thread be stickied?

• Yes

Votes: 72 88.9%
  • No

Votes: 9 11.1%

• Total voters
Search This thread

worldindo1

Dec 8, 2011
NOTE: This one's a big one if you can't tell! Everyone give a round of applause to simonsimons34 for tracking down the issue. What does this mean? Well, there may not be a need to ever downgrade using the RUU. If you go here (you really can't miss that big, bolded "here"), you will see that he determined the issue is caused by:
a bad battery driver function in the kernel
He also took the liberty of building a kernel compatible with 4.2 and putting in a commit for fixing the kernel to work with the newer radio at GitHub. Any ROM builders who see this, please do check it out. As far as everything goes, I haven't personally tested it but I do always encourage people to try it out. Simon has been a great supporter and kernel builder for our device so I have faith that he hath found the Holy Grail. 'Course my thread will have no more existential purpose, BUT it is a great resource so as it is, I will leave it up for the general perusal of the community. Have a great week everybody and I look forward to a new flood of development.

Exciting news y'all! This thread has been stickied! [Hopefully] this will allow continued support and growth of the thread. My personal philosophy is that anything I post shouldn't be locked down to what I know or believe in, so I encourage any reader to put forth their input. What does that mean? It means that if you have a suggestion, by all means inbox me your thoughts. I'm open to continual development of this tutorial through community teamwork. Have a good day everyone!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are some common reasons why your phone will randomly reboot (bootloop). You should only use an RUU (the methods below the "=" signs) if NOTHING ELSE WORKS (because the RUU does a factory wipe of the phone).

Common Problems:
I switched from another ROM and now my phone keeps rebooting...
There are several factors in play here. The commonly accepted fix is backing up your data and doing a full wipe (cache, dalvik cache, system, data) followed by reflashing your ROM.

I upgraded my ROM from blah blah version to blah blah version (ex. 4.0.x to 4.1.x)...
This is because your old Ice Cream Sandwich system stuff may not be compatible with JellyBean (in the case of the example). Wipe system and the caches (dalvik & cache) followed by reflashing your ROM.

I upgraded my ROM (within the same version) and it keeps rebooting...
Every time I upgrade my ROM, I wipe cache. If something funky happens, just wipe system and reflash your ROM.

I flashed a ROM and it won't boot at all...
Either you flashed a ROM for a different device, you flashed a kernel for another device, OR you didn't flash a kernel at all. Make sure everything is for your phone (the HTC One V on Virgin Mobile is the CDMA version known as "PrimoC" whereas the GSM version is the "PrimoU").
=============================

NOTE: This guide is for the One V!

I know the feeling! You're all excited because you just unlocked your One V's bootloader, flashed a recovery, and flashed a steamin' hot new ROM. You boot up for the first time and get ecstatic, the tension building as you put in your Gmail info. You finish the start up but OH NO!!! Your phone reboots! You blame yourself... you blame your cat... you blame your wife... you blame the war in the Middle East. You think, I must've done something wrong! Stupid, stupid, stupid! Don't fret! Take my experience with this quite seriously (despite the jokes). For 2 weeks, I retraced my steps and tried EVERYTHING! I thought it was just the ROM's problem, so I flashed one after another to the same end. Finally, I decided to post a new thread asking for help. Nothing became of the first thread, so I posted a second one. To my great relief, along trotted Curiousn00b. After shoving me in the correct direction, I figured out the rest. A big thanks by the way, Curiousn00b! The following is the method that I used to get my phone to finally run a ROM. Also, a thanks to CafeKampuchia for the quoted directions below.

A few things to make sure you have:
Windows (with Administrator's priveleges)
Fastboot installed and working
Your phone (duh!)
A USB cable
Time and patience

The following quote is from CafeKampuchia's thread over here.

NOTE ABOUT THE FOLLOWING PARAGRAPH: jmztaylor's site is now legally able to host the RUUs again so the download link is right here*
In support of jmztaylor and all of his work for this device, I have decided to also include his website in this thread... *here is the download directory for the HTC One (Primo) device RUUs. I'm not sure if this bug effects other Primo devices, so this especially pertains to the PrimoC (HTC One V CDMA). Thanks jmz for the tip!

Solution #1
Here we go:

1. Download the correct RUU for your device from Football's Primo Shipped ROM Collection.

2. Charge the battery above 50% or for at least one hour. If the battery dies during the flashing process, you could hard brick the phone!

3. Run the RUU until the wizard comes up. While the RUU wizard is open, find the temporary folder it created. (Open Explorer in Windows and type %temp% in the navigation bar.) There will be two folders with long encrypted names. In one of them you will find ROM.zip. Open it with 7zip and extract recovery.img or recovery_signed.img. Put it in the location were you've installed Android SDK tools. This is the stock HTC Recovery and it is needed to run the RUU.

4. Boot the phone into bootloader (power off, hold down volume and press power) and highlight FASTBOOT using the volume rocker and pressing power. Then connect the USB cable. You should see FASTBOOT USB.

5. Open a command prompt in Windows and navigate to the folder where you installed Android SDK tools. Flash the stock recovery extracted in step 3 above using the following command:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
or
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery_signed.img

6. Relock the bootloader using the following command:
Code:
fastboot oem lock

Thus far you should have the stock recovery back and be bootlocked again. Now, back in fastboot mode, you should already be connected to your computer via USB (if you disconnected, just reconnect it and wait for "FASTBOOT" to change to "FASTBOOT USB")

Run this command:
Code:
fastboot oem rebootRUU

Next, start up the RUU program again and let it run through without interruption. After this process is done, the phone should boot up to the stock ROM. Let it do its thing, but this time don't do the OTA update. From here, just unlock the bootloader again, install your recovery of choice, and install your ROM of choice or reroot the stock ROM (I know some want to keep it stock).

As also pointed out by RoyalYeo, you can let HBOOT take care of the problem:

Solution #2
My hunch was correct, the .0928 Radio was causing the bootloop... I managed to flash the 521_2 radio, and now the Sick kernel is working and AOKP JB runs great.

Steps (on windoze):

1) Download the RUU
2) Run the .exe, wait for it to open the first wizard screen.
3) Open a file explorer in c:\users\yourname\AppData\Local\Temp\New_Directory _With_Some_Hexadecimal_name
4) Locate `rom.zip`, copy to the root directory of your sd card, and rename it to PK76IMG.zip
5) Reboot to bootloader, connect usb, and `fastboot oem lock` in cmd shell, at which point it'll reboot
6) Get back to HBOOT, wait for it to notice PK76IMG, confirm, make a pot of coffee, check back in 5-10 minutes.
7) After reboot, phone should now show a 1.00.00.521_2 radio... re-unlock the bootloader in fastboot, re-flash TWRP or whatever, and you should be good to go.

Lemme know if you get it working...

My personal solution (Solution #1) is the more technical side of things and also exposes you to the nitty-gritty. Having said this, #1 is quite touchy because if you do something wrong, there is a good chance that you could... well uh, brick your phone to be quite honest. On the other hand, #1 requires no SD card (given the event that your SD card won't mount, your SD reader is broken, or you just plain don't have an SD card). Ultimately, the choice is up to you.

Last edited:

RoyalYeo

Jul 28, 2012
y take a risk, avoid it in the first place, follow this guide
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1996665

You need to downgrade your radios or your guide will be useless no matter what, i followed this post i found on android forums and it worked
My hunch was correct, the .0928 Radio was causing the bootloop... I managed to flash the 521_2 radio, and now the Sick kernel is working and AOKP JB runs great.

Steps (on windoze):

1) Download the RUU
3) Open a file explorer in c:\users\yourname\AppData\Local\Temp\New_Directory _With_Some_Hexadecimal_name
4) Locate `rom.zip`, copy to the root directory of your sd card, and rename it to PK76IMG.zip
5) Reboot to bootloader, connect usb, and `fastboot oem lock` in cmd shell, at which point it'll reboot
6) Get back to HBOOT, wait for it to notice PK76IMG, confirm, make a pot of coffee, check back in 5-10 minutes.
7) After reboot, phone should now show a 1.00.00.521_2 radio... re-unlock the bootloader in fastboot, re-flash TWRP or whatever, and you should be good to go.

Reactions: worldindo1

mastertr

Jul 11, 2011
Thank you so much for this. I will try it when I get home. Ever since I applied that OTA battery update, I haven't been able to successfully run any other ROM that I have tried. Hopefully this will be the solution that I have been looking for.

Just out of curiosity though, I have a Nandroid backup of before I applied the OTA Rom. If I restore that backup, would that do the same thing as you provide here, or would I definitely have to go through this process?

robaho

Oct 18, 2012
Won't work. The radio partition cannot be backed up/restored unless you have an s-off device.

mastertr

Jul 11, 2011
I seem to have screwed up. Upon trying these instructions, I went with solution 2, relocked the bootloader, but before doing so, I didn't flash the stock recovery, and kept with CWM.

Now I can't boot into HBOOT or the fastboot, it just brings up a textured static screen. I'm assuming that is where I went wrong.

Is there a way to un-do this?

EDIT: Just kidding. It turns out I had fastboot checked, which is why I couldn't get it to boot into HBOOT.

Last edited:

mastertr

Jul 11, 2011
I seem to have screwed up. Upon trying these instructions, I went with solution 2, relocked the bootloader, but before doing so, I didn't flash the stock recovery, and kept with CWM.

Now I can't boot into HBOOT or the fastboot, it just brings up a textured static screen. I'm assuming that is where I went wrong.

Is there a way to un-do this?

EDIT: Just kidding. It turns out I had fastboot checked, which is why I couldn't get it to boot into HBOOT.

EDIT#2: I still wasn't able to escape the rebooting, even after doing this. I installed AOKP 10 and it stayed on the Initiating Swagger screen while rebooting every minute or so...

worldindo1

Dec 8, 2011
EDIT#2: I still wasn't able to escape the rebooting, even after doing this. I installed AOKP 10 and it stayed on the Initiating Swagger screen while rebooting every minute or so...

Did you relock the bootloader before or after flashing PK76IMG.zip? This does make a difference. My suggestion is just to go back through and try again following everything to a tee. Doesn't always work the first time.

Reactions: mastertr

mastertr

Jul 11, 2011
I went with your first solution this time and followed the directions step-by-step and it was a success. I am now running AOKP 10 without any boot loop. Thanks!

zeeshan19

Dec 14, 2012
It worked thank you

thanks man followed your guide and boom everything went just fine.
1st i had 1 minute problem. now i dont have any.
i confirm that anybody having 1 minute problem can solve it with this tutorial:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
thanks

BobbaLouie

Jun 23, 2012
Have a recently purchased HTC One V thanks to the recent $49 deals. Getting ready to root, from what I read there's a good chance I'll hit this bug and need the RUU for my device.

How do I know which one it is? I loaded both links, they seem to have files for different regions and/or carriers.

TIA

zeeshan19

Dec 14, 2012
Have a recently purchased HTC One V thanks to the recent $49 deals. Getting ready to root, from what I read there's a good chance I'll hit this bug and need the RUU for my device.

How do I know which one it is? I loaded both links, they seem to have files for different regions and/or carriers.

TIA

check ur version
settigs->about >software version

Reactions: BobbaLouie

Euler MD

Nov 13, 2011
Thankyou for this guide. Even though I followed the steps, it didn't work. Maybe it was just my luck but I'll try again soon.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NOTE: This one's a big one if you can't tell! Everyone give a round of applause to simonsimons34 for tracking down the issue. What does this mean? Well, there may not be a need to ever downgrade using the RUU. If you go here (you really can't miss that big, bolded "here"), you will see that he determined the issue is caused by:
    a bad battery driver function in the kernel
    He also took the liberty of building a kernel compatible with 4.2 and putting in a commit for fixing the kernel to work with the newer radio at GitHub. Any ROM builders who see this, please do check it out. As far as everything goes, I haven't personally tested it but I do always encourage people to try it out. Simon has been a great supporter and kernel builder for our device so I have faith that he hath found the Holy Grail. 'Course my thread will have no more existential purpose, BUT it is a great resource so as it is, I will leave it up for the general perusal of the community. Have a great week everybody and I look forward to a new flood of development.

Exciting news y'all! This thread has been stickied! [Hopefully] this will allow continued support and growth of the thread. My personal philosophy is that anything I post shouldn't be locked down to what I know or believe in, so I encourage any reader to put forth their input. What does that mean? It means that if you have a suggestion, by all means inbox me your thoughts. I'm open to continual development of this tutorial through community teamwork. Have a good day everyone!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here are some common reasons why your phone will randomly reboot (bootloop). You should only use an RUU (the methods below the "=" signs) if NOTHING ELSE WORKS (because the RUU does a factory wipe of the phone).

Common Problems:
    I switched from another ROM and now my phone keeps rebooting...
    There are several factors in play here. The commonly accepted fix is backing up your data and doing a full wipe (cache, dalvik cache, system, data) followed by reflashing your ROM.

I upgraded my ROM from blah blah version to blah blah version (ex. 4.0.x to 4.1.x)...
    This is because your old Ice Cream Sandwich system stuff may not be compatible with JellyBean (in the case of the example). Wipe system and the caches (dalvik & cache) followed by reflashing your ROM.

I upgraded my ROM (within the same version) and it keeps rebooting...
    Every time I upgrade my ROM, I wipe cache. If something funky happens, just wipe system and reflash your ROM.

I flashed a ROM and it won't boot at all...
    Either you flashed a ROM for a different device, you flashed a kernel for another device, OR you didn't flash a kernel at all. Make sure everything is for your phone (the HTC One V on Virgin Mobile is the CDMA version known as "PrimoC" whereas the GSM version is the "PrimoU").
    =============================

NOTE: This guide is for the One V!

I know the feeling! You're all excited because you just unlocked your One V's bootloader, flashed a recovery, and flashed a steamin' hot new ROM. You boot up for the first time and get ecstatic, the tension building as you put in your Gmail info. You finish the start up but OH NO!!! Your phone reboots! You blame yourself... you blame your cat... you blame your wife... you blame the war in the Middle East. You think, I must've done something wrong! Stupid, stupid, stupid! Don't fret! Take my experience with this quite seriously (despite the jokes). For 2 weeks, I retraced my steps and tried EVERYTHING! I thought it was just the ROM's problem, so I flashed one after another to the same end. Finally, I decided to post a new thread asking for help. Nothing became of the first thread, so I posted a second one. To my great relief, along trotted Curiousn00b. After shoving me in the correct direction, I figured out the rest. A big thanks by the way, Curiousn00b! The following is the method that I used to get my phone to finally run a ROM. Also, a thanks to CafeKampuchia for the quoted directions below.

A few things to make sure you have:
    Windows (with Administrator's priveleges)
    Fastboot installed and working
    Your phone (duh!)
    A USB cable
    Time and patience

The following quote is from CafeKampuchia's thread over here.

NOTE ABOUT THE FOLLOWING PARAGRAPH: jmztaylor's site is now legally able to host the RUUs again so the download link is right here*
    In support of jmztaylor and all of his work for this device, I have decided to also include his website in this thread... *here is the download directory for the HTC One (Primo) device RUUs. I'm not sure if this bug effects other Primo devices, so this especially pertains to the PrimoC (HTC One V CDMA). Thanks jmz for the tip!

Solution #1
    Here we go:

1. Download the correct RUU for your device from Football's Primo Shipped ROM Collection.

2. Charge the battery above 50% or for at least one hour. If the battery dies during the flashing process, you could hard brick the phone!

3. Run the RUU until the wizard comes up. While the RUU wizard is open, find the temporary folder it created. (Open Explorer in Windows and type %temp% in the navigation bar.) There will be two folders with long encrypted names. In one of them you will find ROM.zip. Open it with 7zip and extract recovery.img or recovery_signed.img. Put it in the location were you've installed Android SDK tools. This is the stock HTC Recovery and it is needed to run the RUU.

4. Boot the phone into bootloader (power off, hold down volume and press power) and highlight FASTBOOT using the volume rocker and pressing power. Then connect the USB cable. You should see FASTBOOT USB.

5. Open a command prompt in Windows and navigate to the folder where you installed Android SDK tools. Flash the stock recovery extracted in step 3 above using the following command:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    or
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery_signed.img

6. Relock the bootloader using the following command:
    Code:
    fastboot oem lock

Thus far you should have the stock recovery back and be bootlocked again. Now, back in fastboot mode, you should already be connected to your computer via USB (if you disconnected, just reconnect it and wait for "FASTBOOT" to change to "FASTBOOT USB")

Run this command:
    Code:
    fastboot oem rebootRUU

Next, start up the RUU program again and let it run through without interruption. After this process is done, the phone should boot up to the stock ROM. Let it do its thing, but this time don't do the OTA update. From here, just unlock the bootloader again, install your recovery of choice, and install your ROM of choice or reroot the stock ROM (I know some want to keep it stock).

As also pointed out by RoyalYeo, you can let HBOOT take care of the problem:

Solution #2

Steps (on windoze):

1) Download the RUU

My personal solution (Solution #1) is the more technical side of things and also exposes you to the nitty-gritty. Having said this, #1 is quite touchy because if you do something wrong, there is a good chance that you could... well uh, brick your phone to be quite honest. On the other hand, #1 requires no SD card (given the event that your SD card won't mount, your SD reader is broken, or you just plain don't have an SD card). Ultimately, the choice is up to you.
    Your AAA key is wrong. Fix it. HTC had a deal with VM to not show 1x which would lessen the calls to tech support

Sent from my One V using Tapatalk 2

EDIT:

So I had some time to download and flash the firmware zip inside the newest OTA. First of all, it scared the crap out of me since the hboot didnt flash properly at first, then once I got everything all fixed up superuser wasnt working. So far I havent seen any new benefits of the update, but from what I see you deffinately cant downgrade. But thats not a problem.

The kernel I am linking below will boot CM9 perfectly, and is as bugless as you can get on this device.
    ROM -> http://goo.im/devs/BeyondExistence/cm-9-20121121-UNOFFICIAL-primoc.zip
    Kernel -> http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=22926241640219532

This is a good stable, everythings working combo. Enjoy for now
    @op ive tracked down the problem, from a developer standpoint. Its a bad battery driver function in the kernel. If you flash THE stock ruu kernel, you should be fine This only works on stock roms though. Im working on a kernel fix so that we can have the new radio and 4.2.2 may improve some things, may not

EDIT:
    As promised, here is the kernel
    http://simonsickle.com/primoc/otacompat42_boot.img

This kernel is built with ion for codefirex however, the commit to fix kernels for use on the new radio will be posted here as soon as I get it cleaned up. Enjoy!

EDIT2:
    Here is a patch. Apply to your kernels with `patch -p1 < *.patch`
    https://github.com/SickleKernels/an...3bdcfba4a01bc826142e4308d62eafdee8ae977.patch

Edit3:
    Okay guys I've gotten busy lately. However I promise when I can I will post instructions on how to build a kernel and to put the new kernel together in a flashable way. Hopefully this will invite new kernel developers, as I am mostly alone on this front
    I fixed the issue and will add it to a stock kernel on my github. I will do a sense, ICS, 4.1 kernel. 4.2 it is already merged in. I am running this radio now and I am seeing a lot better 3G performance

Sent from my One V using Tapatalk 2