[Q] Black screen on calls

Search This thread

riche1

Apr 18, 2011
I rooted my girlfriend's S3 with no problems. I can install a TW rom and everything works as expected. If I installed a ASOP rom, when a call is made or received the screen turns off. If you pull the phone away from your ear the screen stays off. I've browsed around the forums, but have not found anything to resolve the issue. Any ideas of what might cause this on ASOP roms ?

Thanks in advance,
Richard

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Try different ROMs to see if the all do this, inlcuding a stock ROM. If they all do the same thing, sounds like it could be a hardware issue with the proximity sensor.

riche1

Apr 18, 2011
Try different ROMs to see if the all do this, inlcuding a stock ROM. If they all do the same thing, sounds like it could be a hardware issue with the proximity sensor.

The only time it has been an issue is with ASOP roms. If I use a TW rom, there is an option to leave the screen on during a call. This is what I clicked to get the screen on during calls. However, with ASOP roms there is not an option for this. I don't think it's the proximity sensor since the screen stays on with calls on a TW rom. I forgot to mention that the ASOP was KK rom, but I have the same phone different cell provider and do not have this issue. I think I tried a JB rom with the same effect.

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
When using any ROM, stock or custom, on all of my Android phones, the screen always went black when I placed the phone next to my ear. When I removed the phone from my ear, the screen came back on and I could end the call by clicking a button on the screen.

With a stock ROM, does the screen go off when you place the phonex to your ear and then come back on when you move it away from your ear?

riche1

Apr 18, 2011
When using any ROM, stock or custom, on all of my Android phones, the screen always went black when I placed the phone next to my ear. When I removed the phone from my ear, the screen came back on and I could end the call by clicking a button on the screen.

With a stock ROM, does the screen go off when you place the phonex to your ear and then come back on when you move it away from your ear?

as soon as you make a call the screen goes black and does not come back on, unless the call ends. I can not end the call either unless I press the lock screen button, slide down the notification bar and press hang-up. This is only on all ASOP roms.. This is my girlfriend's phone, mine works fine. I'm on Sprint though. To make sure everything works only on TW, I put a custom TW rom on her phone. The screen turns black on calls, but I can go to the dialer settings and fix this with the leave screen on function. I don't think it's the proximity sensor, unless the sensor works different between ASOP and TW roms.

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
as soon as you make a call the screen goes black and does not come back on, unless the call ends. I can not end the call either unless I press the lock screen button, slide down the notification bar and press hang-up. This is only on all ASOP roms.. This is my girlfriend's phone, mine works fine. I'm on Sprint though. To make sure everything works only on TW, I put a custom TW rom on her phone. The screen turns black on calls, but I can go to the dialer settings and fix this with the leave screen on function. I don't think it's the proximity sensor, unless the sensor works different between ASOP and TW roms.

Just to confirm, the screen goes black when you place the phone next to your ear and comes back on when you move it away from your ear on a stock TW ROM, correct? If the phone exhibits this behaviour on a stock ROM, the proximity is working. If it does not, I would still conclude the proximity sensor is not working. I have loaded custom ROMs onto 3 different S3 phones and the screens alway came back on when I moved the phone away from my ear without having to touch the power button.

riche1

Apr 18, 2011
Just to confirm, the screen goes black when you place the phone next to your ear and comes back on when you move it away from your ear on a stock TW ROM, correct? If the phone exhibits this behaviour on a stock ROM, the proximity is working. If it does not, I would still conclude the proximity sensor is not working. I have loaded custom ROMs onto 3 different S3 phones and the screens alway came back on when I moved the phone away from my ear without having to touch the power button.

This is correct. It works fine on TW roms , but I have to turn on some function in the dialer settings for it to work after the initial install. My girlfriend said her sister's phone did the same thing ( no root ) and she had to go to the dialer settings to get things back to normal. I believe she said this happened after the ATT 4.3 stock update.

If I use any ASOP rom the screen will go black as soon as a call is made by pushing the call button. The only way to get it to come back on is to get the lock screen up and pull the notification bar down to hang up. She does not care whether she uses a ASOP or TW, but I'm baffled by the issue with ASOP roms since mine works great, but I'm with Sprint. The proximity sensor is working fine in my opinion because all of the TW motion features work flawless. I wanted to get her on an ASOP rom because the battery life is so much better. Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for helping!

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
This is correct. It works fine on TW roms , but I have to turn on some function in the dialer settings for it to work after the initial install. My girlfriend said her sister's phone did the same thing ( no root ) and she had to go to the dialer settings to get things back to normal. I believe she said this happened after the ATT 4.3 stock update.

If I use any ASOP rom the screen will go black as soon as a call is made by pushing the call button. The only way to get it to come back on is to get the lock screen up and pull the notification bar down to hang up. She does not care whether she uses a ASOP or TW, but I'm baffled by the issue with ASOP roms since mine works great, but I'm with Sprint. The proximity sensor is working fine in my opinion because all of the TW motion features work flawless. I wanted to get her on an ASOP rom because the battery life is so much better. Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for helping!

Without making any changes to the stock TW ROM dialer settings, does the screen go black when you place the phone next to your ear and come back on when you move it away from your ear?

riche1

Apr 18, 2011
If I put a clean install of a TW rom it does not work either. I have to change the dialer settings. My girlfriend told me this happened as soon as she installed the 4.3 update way before I rooted the phone.It happened to her sister too. I did not know about the issue until I rooted. . I doubt it's the recovery I'm using. I had problems installing CM with TeamWin Recovery. I had to use Philz. Like I said, I don't mind keeping her on TW roms and she doesn't care either. It would be great to find out what is causing this. It's got to be something with the proximity sensor detection, but the proximity sensor does work otherwise the TW gestures and features would not right ?

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
If I put a clean install of a TW rom it does not work either. I have to change the dialer settings. My girlfriend told me this happened as soon as she installed the 4.3 update way before I rooted the phone.It happened to her sister too. I did not know about the issue until I rooted. . I doubt it's the recovery I'm using. I had problems installing CM with TeamWin Recovery. I had to use Philz. Like I said, I don't mind keeping her on TW roms and she doesn't care either. It would be great to find out what is causing this. It's got to be something with the proximity sensor detection, but the proximity sensor does work otherwise the TW gestures and features would not right ?

Was the clean install done using a stock 4.3 TW ROM? I didn't know there was a problem with the 4.3 update that affected the proximity sensor.

riche1

Apr 18, 2011
Was the clean install done using a stock 4.3 TW ROM? I didn't know there was a problem with the 4.3 update that affected the proximity sensor.

Originally stock 4.3 updated through ATT is when she started to experience the problems. She fixed by going to dialer/settings leave screen on during calls. I rooted the phone not knowing this had been an issue before. After making sure the stock 4.3 was rooted I installed cyanogenmod and thus the issue was back. There was no way to fix it another than to install a TW rom and go through the dialer/settings. If that settings is not checked then the phone will go black as soon as a call is made. I can't find away around it. I keep forgetting to come back on check here for replies.. sorry for the delayed response. Thanks for the help

Richard

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Originally stock 4.3 updated through ATT is when she started to experience the problems. She fixed by going to dialer/settings leave screen on during calls. I rooted the phone not knowing this had been an issue before. After making sure the stock 4.3 was rooted I installed cyanogenmod and thus the issue was back. There was no way to fix it another than to install a TW rom and go through the dialer/settings. If that settings is not checked then the phone will go black as soon as a call is made. I can't find away around it. I keep forgetting to come back on check here for replies.. sorry for the delayed response. Thanks for the help

Richard

The behaviour exhibited by the phone after the update is not right. If it was a software issue, it would have been solved by flashing a custom ROM.

I have flash a few custom ROM and non-custom ROMs onto the d2can (i747m) and none of the phones behaved the way yours does.

riche1

Apr 18, 2011
The behaviour exhibited by the phone after the update is not right. If it was a software issue, it would have been solved by flashing a custom ROM.

I have flash a few custom ROM and non-custom ROMs onto the d2can (i747m) and none of the phones behaved the way yours does.

she said it was not a problem until the phone was updated to 4.3 through ATT software update. This was way before I rooted the phone. The same thing started with her sister's phone. So.. I'm stumped as to what the problem could be. I rooted it because I thought CM11 might fix the issue and that was not the case. I don't know how I can go about fixing it. I don't want to take a chance in bricking the phone.