Samsung Galaxy S3 to Receive Android 4.1, JellyBean in Q4 2012

Search This thread

rlorange

Nov 5, 2010
Melbourne
Coming from an Eclair 2.1 galaxy s1 and running all the way to 4.04 ICS cm9 with Sammy roms sprinkled in along the way I have seen a slow but steady improvement in coding from their end. Stock samny ICS on my new SGS3 Is light years away from their shocking file system lag and botched updates.

Samsung have adapted best overall IMO to the new "paradigm" created by Android. To this day they are the only phone maker to keep their flagship devices virtually unbrickable and Dev friendly while being novice user friendly for the masses.

The final surrender to the new paradigm is not far off. When Samsung releases driver source code for hardware they make and own rights too.

So Q4 jelly bean update? Yeah sounds reasonable to me.

And don't forget the crucial issue at hand: Without official Samsung kernel source code any AOSP port will be missing features... Or is jelly bean similar enough to ICS that this won't be the case?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

Interstar

Jun 30, 2012
I think we should bear in mind that this still is a minor update, google now is esentialy and app and the new functonalities aren´t that major .
therefore i belive the update might actualy roll out around september alongside with the note 2 which i think is safe to assume will have 4.1 , the interessting question ist will they keep S voice or kill it , i am pretty sure they will kill it due to the obvious superiority of google now !

matttye

Dec 6, 2010
Q4? I thought the sources were due in July. Expect 2-3 weeks before the first real AOSP-roms pop up, so in August everyone who cares will be running 4.1
Who cares about Samsung-official stuff anymore?

And miss out on smart stay plus all the app voice controls? I'm gunna try and wait for the Samsung version this time as touchwiz is actually half decent :D

cujo6801

Jan 2, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga
Sent from the dog pound

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1341040781504.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1341040781504.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 692

n70shan

Jan 10, 2012
Lahore
jelly bean without flash player. ahh f.uck. i m not gonna update my phone. html 5 is a **** at the moment

dr.m0x

Oct 28, 2010
Auckland
Q4? I thought the sources were due in July. Expect 2-3 weeks before the first real AOSP-roms pop up, so in August everyone who cares will be running 4.1

Umm. Got this phone today after much agonizing as I'd heard some bag things about TouchWiz. I'm pleasantly surprised. It's quite decent really, all things considered, and I'm quite happy to use it over CM9 which is one of the reasons I decided to bite the bullet in the end ... at least if TouchWiz was crap I could have run aosp on this beastly phone.

So yeah I'm finding it hard to believe but I actually think I care about Samsung official stuff.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

ssaqib4e

Jun 6, 2012
Mumbai
Umm. Got this phone today after much agonizing as I'd heard some bag things about TouchWiz. I'm pleasantly surprised. It's quite decent really, all things considered, and I'm quite happy to use it over CM9 which is one of the reasons I decided to bite the bullet in the end ... at least if TouchWiz was crap I could have run aosp on this beastly phone.

So yeah I'm finding it hard to believe but I actually think I care about Samsung official stuff.

Yes.. its for the first time for me too. Wud definitely flash the new official update fr jelly bean...as touchwiz has improved dramarically...liking it :)

bala_gamer

Recognized Contributor
Mar 29, 2011
Madurai-Chennai
Xiaomi 13
Xiaomi 13 Pro
I would love to see the official update soon, but one damn thing about samsung is we never know what is implemented and what is not from jb. Ics brought as gpu accelerated rendering for smoothness but till now we didn't had an official word about it from samsung on how well it is adapted to samsung devices (at least for their flagship) and how good those changes are. I fear the same for project butter, its going to be there but can they document the improvement? I don't think they will, not only samsung but none of the oem are doing it. Let's hope samsung make an initiative first, as their customers we have the right to know about the improvements in depth not just the update.

《tapatalked from galaxy s3》

dr.m0x

Oct 28, 2010
Auckland
Project Butter isn't all that. While it did make a difference to my Gnex it wasn't a very big difference.

barondebxl

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Im in no hurry of getting jellybean. Its definitely a great update but i wanna enjoy flash player on my phone. Q4 is all good for me.

BlackDino

Sep 11, 2010
Project Butter isn't all that. While it did make a difference to my Gnex it wasn't a very big difference.

You are absolutely insane if you think project butter isn't all that.
Makes my gnexus faster then the s3

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: nodstuff

nodstuff

Apr 2, 2010
Cork
You are absolutely insane if you think project butter isn't all that.
Makes my gnexus faster then the s3

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Agreed, its amazing!!
Way smoother than the S3 right now!
I have the two phones in my hands right now and its smoother by far.

Sent via some sort of internet thing

droidx1978z4

Mar 3, 2011
I agree with dr.m0x that project butter is over hyped. Yes it is faster and smoother, but I would call it a marginal improvement, and not a night and day difference. I can't compare it to the s3 since I'm still waiting for verizon to start shipping pre orders though.

Reactions: dr.m0x

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Where's Q4 coming from?

I know they're in with god and all, but somehow I don't think "The Christian Post" knows better than Samsung's own Twitter.
    No it isn't.

Lol!
    For Samsung, Q4 is super fast!!!
    Let's just wait and see and keep the speculation to a minimum for now because it only leads to "wtf, I don't has jellybeenz yet, why iz Samsung mean to me!!!11" Threads.
    It'll come when it comes.

The Samsung Galaxy S3 will receive the Android 4.1, JellyBean update in the fourth quarter of 2012.

The software was unveiled by Google during the company's Google I/O keynote earlier this week, according to YouMobile.org.

The first devices to receive the software will be the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Nexus S, and the Motorola XOOM Wi-Fi tablet with an OTA update coming in the middle of July.

JellyBean brings a number of enhancements to the already impressive Android 4.0 that improve touch responsiveness and the overall smoothness of animations and the UI. The frame rate has also been accelerated to 60 frames per second.

Google displayed demos of the redesigned widgets in the software that scale intelligently around other UI elements along with a new Predictive Keyboard that takes voice commands.

Android 4.1, also features redesigned notifications that Google has now made fully customizable, expandable, and collapsible.

Follow us

Google execs also presented a demo during the event that displayed the new notifications expanding to provide more information as they reached the top of the list and how they also can be expanded and collapsed at any time with gestures.

Jelly Bean will also have an improved voice search that is very similar to Apple's Siri voice navigation system featured on the iPhone 4S.

A new feature called "Google Now" also debuted at the event.

"Google Now" functions as a search product that utilizes customizable cards such as "Sports" or "Flights" that will keep users up to date on data that is important to them. It also provides users with personal assistant-like features.

For example, the cards feature gives up to date information based on a user's personal preference and location. It also updates travel information for people running late and give sports scores for teams that the user likes.

http://global.christianpost.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s3-to-receive-android-4-1-jellybean-in-q4-2012-77422/
    If they say Q4 then expect it by may 2013