Massive Windows Phone Tango IE Bug?

Search This thread

May 9, 2010
Hi guys,

i think my girl found a massive tango bug and for those people without changeable battery its VERY anoying, so beware to reproduce this with your device if you dont have a changeable battery!

The problem is, the complete UI hang up...you cant do anything after you follow these steps:
- open internet explorer
- go to settings and set it to desktopversion
- browse to www.bild.de (a very popular "news" site/paper in germany)
- scroll a bit over the site
now there are 2 possibilities

first one
- all pictures start to show
- scroll around
- when it hangs, just wait a bit and it will hang completly up
Video: http://www.vidup.de/v/780ef/

second one
- some picture do not show up
- go to "news" section and open one news (you have to wait, it does not react instantly)
- just let the news load a bit and go back through "back" button of your device to www.bild.de
- let it load and scroll a bit around and the ie will hung up...
If you are fast enough you can "rescue" your device by fast clicking the windows button, the ie crashes and your device is still on the run and you can rerun the ie...all is fine (if you dont browse to this site again, whats not the worst idea but maybe some other sites are affected, too)
Video: http://www.vidup.de/v/JQmwx/

Interestingly not the whole system crashes because its still booked in the mobile network, wifi (you can call the number and it will ring on your side, but the hanging system shows or do nothing on incoming call, you can ping the device and so on) and the "display timeouts" work probably...

First i thought the lumia 800 of my girl is just defective but i can reproduce this on my omnia 7, both are on tango (7.10.8773.98) and both had never this problem under any mango release. I found no way instead of using "mobile" site to prevent this problem.

Anyone aware of this bug or can confirm this?

Greetings

Update:
Lumias with build in battery (lumia 800/900) can be resettet by pressing volume, power und camera buttons for ~10 secs, thanks surur for this hint
-> http://wmpoweruser.com/browsing-bild-de-will-lock-up-your-phone-dead/
samsung and htc devices just need 10 sek press on the power button

wpcentral reproduced the crash with the focus 2
-> http://www.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-tango-can-have-catastrophic-web-browser-crash

Last edited:
Reactions: derausgewanderte
I can reproduce the first error. I suggest you report this to MS.
the only option left is to reboot the phone. after reboot IE is back to mobile version by default in settings.
it did not happen the second time I tried this (desktop version), so it seems that it's not always reproducible - but most times it crashes.

btw. this will not happen if you do not browse the entire page. e.g. if you only open the first visible part of the page and browse then it will not crash. only if you open including the footer of the frontpage the system will crash. I had to scroll down a couple pages (it will refresh) until I reached the footer. This may be random though.

your second issue (tapping on image for news) for me just crashes IE and it jumps back to tiles. No reboot necessary. When I reenter IE it forgot all the settings again even recent sites.

cool find. maybe this can be used for an exploit ;)

ps: and how I miss the tabloid crap from Bild. Reading the titles and pics I am cracking up...

Last edited:

May 9, 2010
it does not hang when i browse around the site...just on the start page it hangs up.

hm deactivating locations doesnt help :/
what helps -> restore mango but this is not a real option for the lumia cause of internet sharing

hm dont know why i can reproduce this problem on 2 devices and nobody else can do the same o_O

edith
k i am not alone \o/

Last edited:
it does not hang when i browse around the site...just on the start page it hangs up.

hm deactivating locations doesnt help :/
what helps -> restore mango but this is not a real option for the lumia cause of internet sharing

hm know why i can reproduce this problem on 2 devices and nobody else can do the same o_O

looks like you got my initial post, which I modified. I can now reproduce your problem. I would not want to go back to Mango just because of Bild.de. but maybe there are other sites that have this problem. Certainly MS should hear about this.

barclays

Jan 29, 2008
nothing wrong on my Radar running Tango 8779

edit: well, it hangs on my second try LOL. FYI, u can reset your non-removable battery device by holding down the power button for 10 secs :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 0711

May 9, 2010
looks like you got my initial post, which I modified. I can now reproduce your problem. I would not want to go back to Mango just because of Bild.de. but maybe there are other sites that have this problem. Certainly MS should hear about this.
for me go back for bild.de is no option (i even dont read it :) ) and for my girl theres an bild.de app in the market but thats the point, maybe there are other sites which produce the same problem or it is exploitable...

posted same problem on answers @ microsoft but the mvp who responded cant reproduce this with lumia 900...

Last edited:
for me go back for bild.de is no option (i even dont read it :) ) and for my girl theres an bild.de app in the market but thats the point, maybe there are other sites which produce the same problem or it is exploitable...

posted same problem on answers but with no response (ok its not realy long time ago i posted) or should i report it to another place at microsoft?

I just went ahead and reported your post to WPCentral to look into this. Also posted it on their Forum under OS. If there are enough people that can reproduce this and it's posted on a major news site it will get MS' attention for sure. I suggest you post it at the WPCentral forum as well.

tell the mvp at MS that it takes some time to reproduce it. I could not at first just like barclays. regular browsing habits may not even trigger this. I believe the entire site has to be shown and one has to zoom in and out and scroll around enough. Eventually it will crash.

Last edited:
Reactions: 0711

May 9, 2010
edit: well, it hangs on my second try LOL. FYI, u can reset your non-removable battery device by holding down the power button for 10 secs :)
ok too bad 7.10.8779 didnt fix this

10 sec power button holding dont work on lumia but remove sim, connect to power, wait a bit, insert sim and short after this it starts again.

These kinda things happen when we become impatient and refuse to wait for our carriers and OEMS to push out the updates.

I thought the lumia he wrote about got the update officially. I do not believe it will make a difference whether it is pushed through carrier or self, unless you miss language packs. However, then you should see a number of other issues as well.

0711, can you clarify whether you pushed the updates yourself or whether the updates were pushed by carrier? In my case I used the cab uploader to update.

Last edited:

May 9, 2010
These kinda things happen when we become impatient and refuse to wait for our carriers and OEMS to push out the updates.
Both devices got the update through zune officialy (without cabletrick)

ok for the omnia, there was some impatient, i flashed an official samsung rtm (7004) rom and zune updated it to tango.
On the lumia there was no impatient cause the update showed up instantly (unbranded lumia)

May 9, 2010
Whatever the case, it's not a real big concern because it would be reported with other sites rather than a German one.
all has a beginning and i dont think the desktop page is very popular on mobile devices cause its just huge and loads forever...

Try clearing the cache, sometimes not doing so can cause issues.
did device reset (load factory settings), i think this should do that but anyway, tried on both, nothing changed. Still crashes

morpheuszg

Nov 25, 2007
Duesseldorf
I couldn't reproduce it on my htc 7 pro running tango as well. That site is really heavy but it doesn't hang at all. It just takes a lot to load.

Sent from my HTC 7 Pro using Board Express

OndraSter

Retired Recognized Developer
Mar 27, 2009
Prague
Nor my L800 nor my Omnia7 can reproduce the bug. The images on the homepage take a while to load (even after the progressbar shows finished), but I can scroll and move around and zoom and click whatever I want and it won't eff up.

magdan83

Jan 17, 2011
Badacsonytomaj
NO bug here

My Lumia 800 did not crash, no matter how many times i tried to open and fully load the page or others between 2 times of bild.de opening.

Also fully load take 1/10 time than for tha focus in the wpcentral video.

ps: i pushed the 8773 update myself to the phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys,

i think my girl found a massive tango bug and for those people without changeable battery its VERY anoying, so beware to reproduce this with your device if you dont have a changeable battery!

The problem is, the complete UI hang up...you cant do anything after you follow these steps:
    - open internet explorer
    - go to settings and set it to desktopversion
    - browse to www.bild.de (a very popular "news" site/paper in germany)
    - scroll a bit over the site
    now there are 2 possibilities

first one
    - all pictures start to show
    - scroll around
    - when it hangs, just wait a bit and it will hang completly up
    Video: http://www.vidup.de/v/780ef/

second one
    - some picture do not show up
    - go to "news" section and open one news (you have to wait, it does not react instantly)
    - just let the news load a bit and go back through "back" button of your device to www.bild.de
    - let it load and scroll a bit around and the ie will hung up...
    If you are fast enough you can "rescue" your device by fast clicking the windows button, the ie crashes and your device is still on the run and you can rerun the ie...all is fine (if you dont browse to this site again, whats not the worst idea but maybe some other sites are affected, too)
    Video: http://www.vidup.de/v/JQmwx/

Interestingly not the whole system crashes because its still booked in the mobile network, wifi (you can call the number and it will ring on your side, but the hanging system shows or do nothing on incoming call, you can ping the device and so on) and the "display timeouts" work probably...

First i thought the lumia 800 of my girl is just defective but i can reproduce this on my omnia 7, both are on tango (7.10.8773.98) and both had never this problem under any mango release. I found no way instead of using "mobile" site to prevent this problem.

Anyone aware of this bug or can confirm this?

Greetings

Update:
    Lumias with build in battery (lumia 800/900) can be resettet by pressing volume, power und camera buttons for ~10 secs, thanks surur for this hint
    -> http://wmpoweruser.com/browsing-bild-de-will-lock-up-your-phone-dead/
    samsung and htc devices just need 10 sek press on the power button

wpcentral reproduced the crash with the focus 2
    -> http://www.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-tango-can-have-catastrophic-web-browser-crash
    nothing wrong on my Radar running Tango 8779

posted same problem on answers @ microsoft but the mvp who responded cant reproduce this with lumia 900...

posted same problem on answers but with no response (ok its not realy long time ago i posted) or should i report it to another place at microsoft?

I just went ahead and reported your post to WPCentral to look into this. Also posted it on their Forum under OS. If there are enough people that can reproduce this and it's posted on a major news site it will get MS' attention for sure. I suggest you post it at the WPCentral forum as well.

tell the mvp at MS that it takes some time to reproduce it. I could not at first just like barclays. regular browsing habits may not even trigger this. I believe the entire site has to be shown and one has to zoom in and out and scroll around enough. Eventually it will crash.
    Both devices got the update through zune officialy (without cabletrick)

ok for the omnia, there was some impatient, i flashed an official samsung rtm (7004) rom and zune updated it to tango.
    On the lumia there was no impatient cause the update showed up instantly (unbranded lumia)