[Q] Correct forum for my device

Search This thread

vinnievegas

Sep 29, 2012
I just purchased a Virgin Mobile Samsung Galaxy S iii today. My Model Number is... SPH-L710
Is this the correct forum for my device?

terra.ce Jones

Nov 3, 2012
Hubbard
This is where I Come because there are only a few things different about the sprint s3 and the virgin mobile s3 and all the help I find on these forums seems to work for me

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

vinnievegas

Sep 29, 2012
This is where I Come because there are only a few things different about the sprint s3 and the virgin mobile s3 and all the help I find on these forums seems to work for me

Thank you. Can you point me where to start? I would like to root my device and install a custom recovery, preferably twrp, and then flash a custom rom.

Sent from my One V using Tapatalk

terra.ce Jones

Nov 3, 2012
Hubbard
Yes you want to go to the sprint s3 development page

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

Thank you. Can you point me where to start? I would like to root my device and install a custom recovery, preferably twrp, and then flash a custom rom.

Yes first of all what is your firmware 4.1.2 or 4.3

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

If you are on 4.1.2 firmware you won't need a computer to root your phone you can just get the app framearoot install it run it select usually the first exploit or name if that doesn't work and there not another one which there should be then you'll need a computer but If there another one click it if it doesn't work this means it not going to work on your device. How to tell if it worked it will say successful on the screen

---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

And if you are on 4.3 firmware you'll need a windows computer a usb cable,usb debugging on and a software called safe root

vinnievegas

Sep 29, 2012

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

If you are on 4.1.2 firmware you won't need a computer to root your phone you can just get the app framearoot install it run it select usually the first exploit or name if that doesn't work and there not another one which there should be then you'll need a computer but If there another one click it if it doesn't work this means it not going to work on your device. How to tell if it worked it will say successful on the screen

---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

And if you are on 4.3 firmware you'll need a windows computer a usb cable,usb debugging on and a software called safe root

My s iii is not currently activated cause I'm using another phone til I receive my case and belt clip on the mail. Do I need to be activated before I root or can I go ahead?

vinnievegas

Sep 29, 2012
Is there a way to flash twrp so I can make a backup before rooting? Or do I do that later?

Mr. Struck

May 20, 2013
Longmont, Colorado
Android Forums is a bit better for VM users, in terms of a forum dedicated to rooted users of the SGS3. Sprint forum here on XDA is a good place for some general info.
http://androidforums.com/virgin-mobile-galaxy-s3-all-things-root/

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

Is there a way to flash twrp so I can make a backup before rooting? Or do I do that later?

You need to activate first regardless, and then I would recommend getting TWRP out of your head, Philz Touch recovery works extremely well for our phones (I am on VM SGS3 also). You will push the custom recovery as the first part of the rooting process (using Odin), at which point you can make a backup before proceeding with the rest of the root procedure.

vinnievegas

Sep 29, 2012
Android Forums is a bit better for VM users, in terms of a forum dedicated to rooted users of the SGS3. Sprint forum here on XDA is a good place for some general info.
http://androidforums.com/virgin-mobile-galaxy-s3-all-things-root/

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

You need to activate first regardless, and then I would recommend getting TWRP out of your head, Philz Touch recovery works extremely well for our phones (I am on VM SGS3 also). You will push the custom recovery as the first part of the rooting process (using Odin), at which point you can make a backup before proceeding with the rest of the root procedure.

Can I do this on a virtual box running xp? I only have Linux.

Mr. Struck

May 20, 2013
Longmont, Colorado
Can I do this on a virtual box running xp? I only have Linux.

I rooted mine on a very old eMachines desktop using Windows XP. Also, having not updated to 4.3 "official" is actually a plus, it gives you more freedom further down the road. Check out the OP in this thread (I authored it) and let me know what help you need.

http://androidforums.com/virgin-mobile-galaxy-s3-all-things-root/791952-all-in-one-guide-modifying-custom-sprint-roms-virgin-mobile-use.html

vinnievegas

Sep 29, 2012

Where can I find framearoot?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

vinnievegas

Sep 29, 2012
Is this a joke?! It downloaded mobojenie. It's showing all kinds of apps

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

terra.ce Jones

Nov 3, 2012
Hubbard

vinnievegas

Sep 29, 2012