One Week Using The Dell Venue pro

Search This thread

josemedina1983

Jul 15, 2008
Los Angeles
I decided to take a vacation from my GSII and decided too give the DVP a try and wow! is a gorgeous unique phone. I bought this device for cheap and my expectations weren't high at all. First thing I notice the great looks of the DVP have then the screen quality blew me away, I was expecting a screen like the HD2 or HD7 but is great nothing like Super Amoled Plus but its still better than the first HTC Windows phones. Where the DVP fell short or more like flat on its face was the camera, the camera is just a hit and miss. Too bad the DVP will just be another good phone murder by such a bad launch I hope MS keep supporting this device.

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
That sounds about right as:
SAMOLED+: SGSII
AMOLED: V/VP
S/LCD: HD2/7, Streak5

I can attest that even if it isnt a SAMOLED+, it's still nicer then S/LCD.
Wish it was SAMOLED though, even without the + the difference between a bonded display/glass and unbonded is pretty noticable.
Esp if you end up getting dust under the screen :(

Dell doesnt need MS to help them screw up launches, they already hold the record for that. (it's every single launch, or at worst all but one launch screwed up)

The camera is due to it being a WP7 device? The V has a 8MP cam and the VP has a 5MP cam (though I cant speak for the actual image quality on each), dell wouldnt randomly downgrade the camera without reason.

josemedina1983

Jul 15, 2008
Los Angeles
That sounds about right as:
SAMOLED+: SGSII
AMOLED: V/VP
S/LCD: HD2/7, Streak5

I can attest that even if it isnt a SAMOLED+, it's still nicer then S/LCD.
Wish it was SAMOLED though, even without the + the difference between a bonded display/glass and unbonded is pretty noticable.
Esp if you end up getting dust under the screen :(

Dell doesnt need MS to help them screw up launches, they already hold the record for that. (it's every single launch, or at worst all but one launch screwed up)

The camera is due to it being a WP7 device? The V has a 8MP cam and the VP has a 5MP cam (though I cant speak for the actual image quality on each), dell wouldnt randomly downgrade the camera without reason.
I agree the camera issue is all software not hardware if you look at the reviews of the Nokia N9 and the Lumia 800 or 900 the pictures come out more washout and the N9s pictures come out better with the same carl zeiss lens. Yeah this device was the most wanted of all windows devices and dell delayed the launch people were getting testing devices bugs and device issues more delays and the list goes on. I hope the designers of the DVP get another shot maybe in another company.

efjay

Nov 18, 2004
I agree the camera issue is all software not hardware if you look at the reviews of the Nokia N9 and the Lumia 800 or 900 the pictures come out more washout and the N9s pictures come out better with the same carl zeiss lens. Yeah this device was the most wanted of all windows devices and dell delayed the launch people were getting testing devices bugs and device issues more delays and the list goes on. I hope the designers of the DVP get another shot maybe in another company.

HTC didn't seem to have any problems with the software and produced good cameras in the Titan and Radar. The crappy camera is all Dell.

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
I think he misunderstood me, I believe the camera issue is mostly hardware.
I dont recall what the WP7 specs are for cameras (besides having a rear one),
WP7 is really anal about chassis requirements, they had to use a specific sensor for the camera?

The VP has a 'worse' cam then the V regardless and dell devices in general have ok at best rear cams.

My old iphone 3g had a better camera, but it was intentionally limited by both hardware and software (fixed focus, no digital zoom)

Keep in mind that the cam isnt a single unit, it's the sensor and lense (and the software backing it).
Even if all WP7 devices used the same sensor there's nothing stopping manus from using their own lenses.
Dell really skimps out on lenses, that's much more important then whatever sensor's inside regardless.

josemedina1983

Jul 15, 2008
Los Angeles
HTC didn't seem to have any problems with the software and produced good cameras in the Titan and Radar. The crappy camera is all Dell.

I'm not arguing that the dell camera is a low quality cam but the issue is software more than hardware. Me mentioning Nokia n9 and 800/900 was an example about camera quality, they use the same camera same optics and they still didn't manage to get the same quality. Why? because the software needs improvement nothing is wrong with the lens used on the 800 or 900 so is it Nokia been lazy or Windows holding the lens back who knows. The camera on HTC are good to average but dell did a poor job on the camera.

bugggaman

Apr 11, 2012
Grats on getting your DVP. I dont know if anyone has this but when I take pictures with my DVP, there is a pink tone to the picture(and it's not from my fingers being near the lens or something). But anyways, great phone but what really gets me is that there is only one case for the DVP which is the Otterbox communter not counting all of those leather cases. :(

josemedina1983

Jul 15, 2008
Los Angeles
Grats on getting your DVP. I dont know if anyone has this but when I take pictures with my DVP, there is a pink tone to the picture(and it's not from my fingers being near the lens or something). But anyways, great phone but what really gets me is that there is only one case for the DVP which is the Otterbox communter not counting all of those leather cases. :(
I kinda doubt you can fix the pink spot try changing the camera settings maybe a miracle happens but that's another software issue. The other issue I have is dust under the screen I guess dell didn't seal the device correctly now I have to take it apart and clean it but I'm sure thats not gonna fix this problem in the long run.