Cannot get mutli-user working

Search This thread

snafu7x7

Oct 6, 2012
After installing TWRP and rooting the device, I followed this tutorial to modify the framework-res.apk file:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2553963

I used the Android Multitool to handle the decompile and recompile and it seemed to all work as advertised.
So then I booted into recovery mode and pushed the updated framework-res.apk file over to the tablet via adb push and it reports a successful copy. But when I reboot the device, not only are the changes not showing up, but if I browse the tablet's /system/framework directory using ES FIle Explorer, the framework-res.apk file is still timestamped 11/16/2013, like it has never been updated.

What am I missing or doing wrong here? I've beat my head against the wall for hours on this and can't get it to take

thanks

snafu7x7

Oct 6, 2012
Got it working!

After installing TWRP and rooting the device, I followed this tutorial to modify the framework-res.apk file:

I used the Android Multitool to handle the decompile and recompile and it seemed to all work as advertised.
So then I booted into recovery mode and pushed the updated framework-res.apk file over to the tablet via adb push and it reports a successful copy. But when I reboot the device, not only are the changes not showing up, but if I browse the tablet's /system/framework directory using ES FIle Explorer, the framework-res.apk file is still timestamped 11/16/2013, like it has never been updated.

What am I missing or doing wrong here? I've beat my head against the wall for hours on this and can't get it to take

thanks

OK hopefully if you're having the same problem and stumble upon this post it will help you as well. As far as I can tell, the issue was because that framework-res file is marked read-only on the file system and for some reason even though ADB was reporting that it had transferred the file successfully I don't think it ever was. Here's how I resolved it.

1)power off the device
2)boot into TWRP
3)choose file-manager (under 'Advanced')
4)navigate to the /system/framework directory and select the framework-res.apk file
5)click the CHMOD 755 button to set the permissions to rwx
6)from your PC execute the ADB push command...for example if my framework-res.apk is in the same directory as ADB.exe

adb push framework-res.apk /system/framework/framework-res.apk

it should give you a message like 4109 KB/s (34859291 bytes in 8.284s) or something similar

7)return to the main menu of TWRP...choose Reboot then System

now the framework file reflects my changes

assetttt

Jun 30, 2010

thanks

Not sure which tab you have but if you have the 10" then you can install the latest Pimpdroid rom that had multiuser built in. It's not as elegant as the Samsung multiuser but does the job.

sirbo36

Feb 2, 2012
Berlin
found a way to get it to work

You need

Stock Rom with root
busybox*installed

build.prop Editor ( playstore)

Open the Editor
Press add*on Top

Property name:

fw.max_users

Property key:
Number of users u like to have

Save it.

Restart tab.

Now u have an entry under settings which is called Users
There u can add a new One.

Inka thing which is bugging me is that only the First User has root Access.

But my girl is using the second User so its fine for me.

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: Holzi001

bartelj7

Dec 23, 2014
did exactly this

Cant get this to work got it saved no user profile under setting help

---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

Attached is a screen shot of build prop

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    found a way to get it to work

You need

Stock Rom with root
    busybox*installed

build.prop Editor ( playstore)

Open the Editor
    Press add*on Top

Property name:

fw.max_users

Property key:
    Number of users u like to have

Save it.

Restart tab.

Now u have an entry under settings which is called Users
    There u can add a new One.

Inka thing which is bugging me is that only the First User has root Access.

But my girl is using the second User so its fine for me.

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app