[Q] Screen wake up lag since KitKat update

Search This thread

thekyguy11

Jan 26, 2013
Hey guys

I updated to the OTA KitKat update, and now have a rather irritating issue that I did not have before. My phone is not rooted, and I'm not using an s-view flip case. I've tried using different lock screens, but it makes no difference.

Since the update, if I press the power button or home button to wake the screen, it sometimes takes 3 - 5 seconds to actually turn on. The strange thing is that if I turn the screen off, then back on within a minute or two, it's as fast as it should be at turning back on. But if the phone sits, untouched, for ten minutes or longer, it takes forever to turn on.

I tried wiping the cache partition, and disabled S voice wake up commands, and double tap to launch S voice.

Any ideas?

ginger man

Jan 4, 2013
Do you have an SD card? That has been known to cause that issue.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

thekyguy11

Jan 26, 2013
I do have one, but it's an old crummy one. Does a bad one cause it? Or a lack of an SD card?

Thanks

Last edited:

ginger man

Jan 4, 2013
Actually having one in your phone has caused that lag before. If you don't have one in your phone then not sure.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

thekyguy11

Jan 26, 2013
Also remove or freeze S-Voice app(it's mapped to double tap home button)

I disabled double tap home to open S voice. I don't want to completely disable S voice, because in conjunction with S for switch voice, it's a very handy tool!

Since I removed the SD card, it has been performing as it should. Must have been the SD card all along. I feel a bit guilty starting a thread about this, when there is already information out there about SD cards causing lag, but but my problem didn't start until immediately after upgrading from JB to KK, and I've had this phone since launch day. Made me think it was a different issue. One again the awesome community at xda helped me out, and quickly!

Thanks guys!

MACHEK

Oct 31, 2009
I disabled double tap home to open S voice. I don't want to completely disable S voice, because in conjunction with S for switch voice, it's a very handy tool!

Since I removed the SD card, it has been performing as it should. Must have been the SD card all along. I feel a bit guilty starting a thread about this, when there is already information out there about SD cards causing lag, but but my problem didn't start until immediately after upgrading from JB to KK, and I've had this phone since launch day. Made me think it was a different issue. One again the awesome community at xda helped me out, and quickly!

Thanks guys!

What I don't understand is why this is just accepted. I have a class 10 card and my only solution to lag is to pull it out?

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: lmike6453

thekyguy11

Jan 26, 2013
What I don't understand is why this is just accepted. I have a class 10 card and my only solution to lag is to pull it out?

I'm not complaining because I had a really old, crappy 8gb SD card, and I stored nothing on it. Didn't even need it. I assume an updated sd card wouldn't have this problem, but that's just an assumption on my part.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks guys!